Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Unstable flight after first time set up. Please help!

vinainor

Reaction score
Hi. I received my brand new Autel Lite Plus drone today via Amazon. I charged everything, calibrated the compus, IMU, and gimble. Then I attempted my first flight. As soon as the drone took off, it started wobbling and flying in a very unstable way. It also kept drifting to the left. Can anyone tel mel what went wrong? Is the drone defective or was there something I still need to do during set up? I shot a video of the wobbling here:

Any help would be much appreciated!

I would check your props, or motor shaft is bent or gyro? I would hold the drone in your hand and spin each motor with your hand and see if you see any uneven movement, plus your camera gimbal is not level, I would get a replacement.

Reactions: vinainor
I would check your props, or motor shaft is bent or gyro? I would hold the drone in your hand and spin each motor with your hand and see if you see any uneven movement, plus your camera gimbal is not level, I would get a replacement.
Thanks for this. The props look fine to me, but maybe I can't tell. I flew the drone again and the gimbal did seem level this time. The drone was stable for a time and then started wobbling again. I am hoping to hear from Autel tomorrow.

The drone
Thanks for this. The props look fine to me, but maybe I can't tell. I flew the drone again and the gimbal did seem level this time. The drone was stable for a time and then started wobbling again. I am hoping to hear from Autel tomorrow.
I found this on another thread, it was a letter from Autel. Maybe you should try the calibration again this way.

When users power on the aircraft, it does an IMU calibration, but it only calibrates the gyroscope offset and accelerometer bias. When the aircraft is on the ground, the bias value is less accurate. If users take off the aircraft from a non-static surface, this IMU calibration may not work properly. The new comprehensive IMU calibration collects 6-axis measurement data based on the current sensor status and gives the IMU a manual correction. The calibrated data is more accurate.

When do users need to perform an IMU, Gimbal, and/or Compass Calibration?

When you receive your Evo II unit for the first time, we suggest performing all three calibrations in this order: IMU, Gimbal, then Compass.

After that, we suggest that users perform the IMU, gimbal, and compass calibrations if they experience unstable flights, gimbal drifts, sideways flight, and/or non-straight flight paths.

Best,

Jay S

Customer Service Agent

Thank you again. I tried those calibrations in that order but still wobbling. I then spoke to Autel. They told me to reset the camera. Did that, but still wobbling. I am returning it to Amazon and just bought one directly from Autel. Hopefully, it will not be defective.

I experienced something similar to this. I had a brand new Nano+ that flew great for a few minutes. then the video feed looked like it was doing somersaults. I hit RTH and in the video, I could see it was climbing, but still crazy video. When it was about 100 feet away and 200 feet up, the video was back to normal and it landed itself on the landing pad. I contacted Autel support and they said to reinstall the app on the iPhone and download the current firmware. I did this and retested the previous flight. It was rock solid the entire flight. Curious.

I experienced something similar to this. I had a brand new Nano+ that flew great for a few minutes. then the video feed looked like it was doing somersaults. I hit RTH and in the video, I could see it was climbing, but still crazy video. When it was about 100 feet away and 200 feet up, the video was back to normal and it landed itself on the landing pad. I contacted Autel support and they said to reinstall the app on the iPhone and download the current firmware. I did this and retested the previous flight. It was rock solid the entire flight. Curious.
Interesting! I already returned my drone to Amazon, but Autel shipped the replacement today. I suppose I should reinstall the app before setting up the replacement drone. I remember the initial firmware installation didn't go smoothly but I never got a message to update it again.

Interesting! I already returned my drone to Amazon, but Autel shipped the replacement today. I suppose I should reinstall the app before setting up the replacement drone. I remember the initial firmware installation didn't go smoothly but I never got a message to update it again.
You might check the version of firmware when the drone arrives and compare it with the current version shown on the autelrobotics site for the Nano+. If there is a mismatch and it doesn't tell you to upgrade, reinstall the Sky app.

I bought a new Autel Lite a few months ago and it had the exact same wobbly issue as yours. I returned it to Autel and they eventually sent a replacement which was OK. The motor gets really hot from the wobbling.

So, I got the replacement Evo Lite Plus. Did all the calibrations and resetting of camera. Still wobbling in flight but not as much as my previous drone. Occasionally it stops wobbling but it eventually starts wobbling again. I think I am having some issues with the firmware upgrade. Even with the replacement drone, the app disconnected from the drone while upgrading firmware the first time I started up the drone, but ever since, it never asks me to upgrade again. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but I still never get prompted to upgrade the firmware again. On the app, when it is connected to the drone, it does say the firmware is the most recent version (although I can't find out what is actually the most recent version anywhere on the Autel site) but it doesn't look like the upgrade went through successfully the first time. It went as far as about 20% before the app disconnected from the drone. On the first Evo Lite Plus that I sent back to Amazon (before buying the replacement directly from Autel), the upgrade process failed at 20% the first time I started the drone, but I was never prompted to upgrade again. But even then, after the first failed attempt, the app says the firmware is the most recent version.

The other problem I am having is that I can't seem to purchase Autel Care. The prompt to purchase Autel Care occurs simultaneously as the prompt to upgrade the firmware when you start up the drone for the first time, so you have to pick one or the other. The first time, I chose to puchase Autel Care before the upgrade. Then the upgrade failed. The second time, I chose to upgrade the firmware first and never got prompted to purchase Autel Care after that (nor did the firmware upgrade seem to go successfully). I tried to purchase Autel Care from the autel website. You have to first enter the aircraft S/N, so I did that, but after clicking on Submit, nothing happens. tried this with three different browsers, but still nothing happens when I enter the S/N and click on Submit.

I love the camera on the drone, but this is starting to get very frustrating. It is the weekend, so I am unable to speak with anyone at Autel yet.

So, I got the replacement Evo Lite Plus. Did all the calibrations and resetting of camera. Still wobbling in flight but not as much as my previous drone. Occasionally it stops wobbling but it eventually starts wobbling again. I think I am having some issues with the firmware upgrade. Even with the replacement drone, the app disconnected from the drone while upgrading firmware the first time I started up the drone, but ever since, it never asks me to upgrade again. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but I still never get prompted to upgrade the firmware again. On the app, when it is connected to the drone, it does say the firmware is the most recent version (although I can't find out what is actually the most recent version anywhere on the Autel site) but it doesn't look like the upgrade went through successfully the first time. It went as far as about 20% before the app disconnected from the drone. On the first Evo Lite Plus that I sent back to Amazon (before buying the replacement directly from Autel), the upgrade process failed at 20% the first time I started the drone, but I was never prompted to upgrade again. But even then, after the first failed attempt, the app says the firmware is the most recent version.

The other problem I am having is that I can't seem to purchase Autel Care. The prompt to purchase Autel Care occurs simultaneously as the prompt to upgrade the firmware when you start up the drone for the first time, so you have to pick one or the other. The first time, I chose to puchase Autel Care before the upgrade. Then the upgrade failed. The second time, I chose to upgrade the firmware first and never got prompted to purchase Autel Care after that (nor did the firmware upgrade seem to go successfully). I tried to purchase Autel Care from the autel website. You have to first enter the aircraft S/N, so I did that, but after clicking on Submit, nothing happens. tried this with three different browsers, but still nothing happens when I enter the S/N and click on Submit.

I love the camera on the drone, but this is starting to get very frustrating. It is the weekend, so I am unable to speak with anyone at Autel yet.
I experienced the same issue with my Lite after flying and using 1 battery I moved to a new location took off and the drone started wobbling terribly so I landed and called it a day. The next day I took off had the same issue landed calibrated the imu, compass, controller sticks, checked to make sure the firmware was up to date. I took off again and it wobbled, so I swapped the battery out and the wobbling stopped, swapped back the original battery and the wobbling started again so best I can tell I believe I have a defective battery that is causing the issue.

Go to Autel's website and there is a firmware patch for the Lite's that are having this wobbling issue. It will fix the problem. If you don't have the wobbling problem, don't bother with it. Mine was wobbling and I did the firmware patch upgrade and it fixed it.

Reactions: SlugHead and kccumm
Go to Autel's website and there is a firmware patch for the Lite's that are having this wobbling issue. It will fix the problem. If you don't have the wobbling problem, don't bother with it. Mine was wobbling and I did the firmware patch upgrade and it fixed it.
Thanks!!!!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials