Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Two odd things I noticed

SnagsWolf

Reaction score
Decided to spend a flying session practicing taking still images. So I took the drone to the local school and just sent it straight up about 200 feel and started to snap some photos. Just used the default mode and auto.
Most times the picture was taken immediately, but there were a few times when the shutter button on the app screen spun for about 10 or 15 seconds before becoming available again. Almost like it was taking that long to write the image to the card. which was a Samsung 128GB EVO Plus Class 10, and not even close to being full.

Another weird thing I noticed was the sluggishness of the gimbal tilt. Using the dial on the controller, I was trying to pan slowly down, but it wasn't responding. Then it finally started to tilt down, so I took my finger off, but it kept on tilting until it was pointed vertically down. Like it was finally getting all the 'down' commands I'd previously sent it. This is with the Evo hovering just a few hundred feet directly above.

Anyone else have these things happen with the Evo?

Gimbal tilt responsiveness can be altered in Settings. I choose a factor of 22 for this and seems to work fine for me. I tried 6 and it was way too slow.

If there's a weak video signal, it will lag sometimes a few seconds behind. I've had that same thing happen with my XSP especially around power lines. That seems to prompt the "weak video signal" warning.

I get that with a tablet I was trying, it was too slow. I switched back to the phone I was using and it was back to being quick.

Decided to spend a flying session practicing taking still images. So I took the drone to the local school and just sent it straight up about 200 feel and started to snap some photos. Just used the default mode and auto.
Most times the picture was taken immediately, but there were a few times when the shutter button on the app screen spun for about 10 or 15 seconds before becoming available again. Almost like it was taking that long to write the image to the card. which was a Samsung 128GB EVO Plus Class 10, and not even close to being full.

Another weird thing I noticed was the sluggishness of the gimbal tilt. Using the dial on the controller, I was trying to pan slowly down, but it wasn't responding. Then it finally started to tilt down, so I took my finger off, but it kept on tilting until it was pointed vertically down. Like it was finally getting all the 'down' commands I'd previously sent it. This is with the Evo hovering just a few hundred feet directly above.

Anyone else have these things happen with the Evo?
You know, from where I live flying over schools is not allowed. :p

I get that with a tablet I was trying, it was too slow. I switched back to the phone I was using and it was back to being quick.
Tablets do appear to be much sketchier than a phone, unfortunately. The Explorer app is not optimized for anything other than a phone. Tablets are officially unsupported, and the pun applies, too! Without a LifThor, the RC with a tablet mounted will not sit flat, and falls over backwards, which will easily break the fragile antennas!

Tablets do appear to be much sketchier than a phone, unfortunately. The Explorer app is not optimized for anything other than a phone. Tablets are officially unsupported, and the pun applies, too! Without a LifThor, the RC with a tablet mounted will not sit flat, and falls over backwards, which will easily break the fragile antennas!

The Evo controller doesn't sit flat for me even with the lightest of phones. I'm always careful to lay it backwards slowly and on a soft surface to avoid damaging the antennas. CRAPPY design if you ask me. Would be less of an issue if the antennas weren't so fragile. Even with this design, they could have added a popout support or something like a keyboard leg to hold it upright when the phone is mounted.

LP

The Evo controller doesn't sit flat for me even with the lightest of phones. I'm always careful to lay it backwards slowly and on a soft surface to avoid damaging the antennas. CRAPPY design if you ask me. Would be less of an issue if the antennas weren't so fragile. Even with this design, they could have added a popout support or something like a keyboard leg to hold it upright when the phone is mounted.

LP
Yes, after having my first set of cracked EVO antennas replaced after a 3 week warranty repair, I am even more careful now. Just figuring out the rotation direction and points of resistance, when rotating them down, can inadvertently cause breakage! The RC antennas are definitely one of the EVO's significant weaknesses. The Mavic series of controllers have no such antenna problems in the same form factor, and are structurally sound. The EVO controller imbalance with any device mounted only exacerbates the problem. Seems like Autel originally intended the controller to only be used without any device, and then later added the device mount, and wrote the Explorer app as an afterthought, which is why the app is still experiencing growth pains! Eliminating the 900 Mhz band also didn't help any, with delivering on the originally advertised range.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58