Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Trip to Florida and the new FAA rules

SnagsWolf

Reaction score
Heading down to Florida next month to visit the in-laws, who live on Longboat Key in Sarasota. Checked the map, and Longboat Key is right across the bay from Sarasota Bradenton Airport, about four miles away.

Under the old rules, I'd have to notify the airport that I was flying within five miles of them. But under the new rules, I have to ask them for permission. But also under the new rules, I have to take a test to become a hobbyist flyer.

Does anyone know if that test has been implemented yet? And if not, is it not yet required? When I call the airport and give them my FAA number, are they going to ask if I've taken the test? Has anyone here called an airport to ask for permission yet? What kind of response did you get? If I tell them I'm staying a week and plan on flying the drone in other areas (nothing too close to the airport), is one phone call going to be sufficient?

Thanks for any tips.

Thanks, Augustine.

So it looks like I have to install an app where I can make a LAANC request to the Sarasota airport. The instructions on the FAA website said LAANC is for 107 pilots only, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the request.

From what I have heard do not worry about it till it all gets set up and just carry on like you have been. The worst the tower can say is use LAANC which may or may not be in effect by the time you go.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791