Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Transmission/Signal - Whats actually used? WIFI, OCCUSYNC, RADIO

sopaj96

Reaction score
I've looked at the Evo for a few days now, and I want to give it a try just to mix things up. I currently own a Mavic Pro and the occusync is superb. I had the Mavic Air before and the wifi just wasnt for me as it go cut out a lot flying in my city, which made me scared of flying.

When it comes to the Evo, I can barely find any information about the transmission used other than that they dropped 900mhz last minute and are currently using 2.4ghz only. So lets try to discuss things here.

Does the EVO use WIFI to communicate with RC, similar to the DJI SPARK, Mavic Air and Parrot Anafi.
Or, does it use some sort of Radio Signals like the Mavic Pro with it's occusync.

The usage of a Wifi Protocol would be a deal breaker for me personally since it isnt reliable enough in dense areas.

Also, Im very curious if dropping the 900mhz band made them change any hardware. If not the the possibilty to unlock the 900mhz band could exist, right?

One last question, since I am from Europe and everything here runs on CE (which is weaker) and not FCC, what does the Evo use in Europe? Would it stick to FCC (yay) or swap to CE, or simply to let me fly (lol).

Thanks

I've looked at the Evo for a few days now, and I want to give it a try just to mix things up. I currently own a Mavic Pro and the occusync is superb. I had the Mavic Air before and the wifi just wasnt for me as it go cut out a lot flying in my city, which made me scared of flying.

When it comes to the Evo, I can barely find any information about the transmission used other than that they dropped 900mhz last minute and are currently using 2.4ghz only. So lets try to discuss things here.

Does the EVO use WIFI to communicate with RC, similar to the DJI SPARK, Mavic Air and Parrot Anafi.
Or, does it use some sort of Radio Signals like the Mavic Pro with it's occusync.

The usage of a Wifi Protocol would be a deal breaker for me personally since it isnt reliable enough in dense areas.

Also, Im very curious if dropping the 900mhz band made them change any hardware. If not the the possibilty to unlock the 900mhz band could exist, right?

One last question, since I am from Europe and everything here runs on CE (which is weaker) and not FCC, what does the Evo use in Europe? Would it stick to FCC (yay) or swap to CE, or simply to let me fly (lol).

Thanks
Evo is very similar to the Magic in range. It uses the same 2.4g as the Mavic.

Reactions: sopaj96
So I found this video, which pretty much proves this isnt some weak wifi being used!

I really think Autel should put a name on it like DJI did and use it as a selling point.
Like, 4miles maximum flight distance thanks to Autel SolidDB or something idk haaha

Here's the video

I'm wondering if how much range you can get in an open environment and how well the signal deals with interference in a congested environment are directly related. For example, I can fly my Spark with its basic Wi-Fi 2.5 kms out in an open area, yet barely manage to get 100m in a city environment. So saying that I can get a 2.5 km range with my Spark would mean absolutely nothing in a city environment.

Reactions: sopaj96
I'm wondering if how much range you can get in an open environment and how well the signal deals with interference in a congested environment are directly related. For example, I can fly my Spark with its basic Wi-Fi 2.5 kms out in an open area, yet barely manage to get 100m in a city environment. So saying that I can get a 2.5 km range with my Spark would mean absolutely nothing in a city environment.

So based on what I can tell Autel uses something similar to Occusync/Lightbridge, but maybe not as good since DJI has had some more time and resources to develop their method.
In a City the spark, along with many other WIFI based drones, fails because of interference from other wifi signals and buildings. WIFI just isn't strong enough to penetrate that.
So my assumption is that the Autel Evo should do fine in a dense area, at least 1 mile or so. I've had my Mavic get some hickups in dense areas within 1 mile (1.6km) and it happens since theres a lot of interference.
Conclusions, the autel evo should be almost as good as the Mavic Pro/Phantom4 when it comes to range.

I'd like to say Wifi, however, when I stated that on another site it was almost like I was the last meal for a lion.

I have asked Autel what it is and am waiting on a response. I agree, they should name it something. By "strict" definition it's not "wifi" because it doesn't connect to an 802.11 device. It does use 2.4ghz spectrum, so do a whole bunch of other things.

If allowed, lol, I'll give my first impression after my first couple flights comparing it to my Mavic pro, Air, & P4A.

Better than the Air, no question, in congested areas, so far. No breakups in video signal or weak transmission to, from drone. I actually believe, based on same flight comparisons, it's better than the P4A.. I've had transmission breakups with the advanced in congested areas, however, that could just be my unit.

The 900mhz isn't there. Don't believe I missed it. Don't know why it was dropped.

So far very impressed.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout