Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

This is new with 2.5.1.1... and disturbing.

tvwxman

Reaction score
Hey all,

Can someone take a look at this sample clip, which I sped up 4x? It's only 10 seconds long. Since installing 2.5.1.1 my horizon seems to be getting thrown way off just by simply (to use a camera term) trucking my drone left and right horizontally. The same thing happens in both directions, and the horizon tilts in the opposite direction when reversing the maneuver.

I don't think I'm seeing an illusion on the horizon as I can tell the skyscraper is leaning toward the end. Am I missing a setting that would allow me to correct this? I just wanted to ask before contacting customer support if this is normal.

Thanks much!

It's certainly noticeable in your video. I've experienced the same, as recently as yesterday. I haven't gotten to it yet, but gimbal calibration is where I'm going to start troubleshooting.

If you send that video to Autel support, they might like the chance to see it.

Cheers!

I'm not sure I understand, are you asking me?

So in the gimbal settings in the Explorer app, on the top right corner it will say "stabilized" or "FPV ". If it is in FPV mode then the gimbal is locked and will show all the different axis the drone moves.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! I checked and yes it is in stabilized mode not fpv. I ran some additional tests during the day yesterday and it did much better, not perfect but considerably better than what that night video revealed. It seems to do very well if I strictly truck left and right but if I add in a little yaw to the flight in order to keep the object centered, that is, a manual orbit maneuver, that seems to throw it off more. But overall I was encouraged. I'm wondering if the night horizon might have been a bit deceiving based on where I was seeing the distant lights possibly exaggerating the effect and creating a bit of an illusion.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate the tips and I'm glad I was able to check off some of the possible problems.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Okay thanks! I checked and yes it is in stabilized mode not fpv. I ran some additional tests during the day yesterday and it did much better, not perfect but considerably better than what that night video revealed. It seems to do very well if I strictly truck left and right but if I add in a little yaw to the flight in order to keep the object centered, that is, a manual orbit maneuver, that seems to throw it off more. But overall I was encouraged. I'm wondering if the night horizon might have been a bit deceiving based on where I was seeing the distant lights possibly exaggerating the effect and creating a bit of an illusion.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate the tips and I'm glad I was able to check off some of the possible problems.

So I saw a video last night on the installation of the new firmware and the order in which you must do the calibrations. According to Autel, first gimbal, then compass, and finally the IMU. There was an E2P that the upgrade was performed on and the calibration was done in a different order and the Drone had gimbal issues. I don't know if you did them in any particular order on yours but that was a thought.

Reactions: Rubik3x
Wow thanks! Indeed I did do all three calibrations but I am unsure as to the order. Since the IMU option was new I am almost positive I did that first. Thank you very much for that information I will most definitely start that process all over again!

Ok after testing with 2.5.12 with Android 1.1.7.10 here are my results and the error isn't always fixed.

First Gimbal Calibration:

1. Default UV lens = successful
  2. Freewell ND (non CPL) = successful
  3. Freewell ND/CPL = Fails

Startup Gimbal tests.

Start Evo II first let it setup and turn on RC and load app.

1. All filters were successful and got no Gimbal net ready error including the ND/CPL filter that failed during gimbal calibration.

Start the RC and App first and then start the Evo II:

1. All give gimbal not ready error

Bottom line, app being loaded first still causes the gimbal not ready error. Seems they may need to fix the application too.

I’m going to send this message to Autel support as well.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
I woke up to another update 2.5.12. it has the calibrations in a different order again. Gimbal, IMU, then compass. Don't know if there's any bugs on doing it out of order on this one. It does have a battery update also, so if you have multiple batteries you have to do multiple updates. I just got done doing my three batteries. Do the calibrations at the end after all your batteries are upgraded. I have not done the test flight yet though.

Great info thank you. I just installed 2.5.1.2. Have not fired it up yet but I always start in the order that worked for you.

RC
Aircraft
Explorer

Check the release notes and compare current firmware with the new firmware. If they are the same then you will only need to do the upgrade one time. On the other hand if those firmware numbers change then you must update each battery. You can find the current firmware in the general tab in the Explorer app.

Reactions: tvwxman

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials