Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The 1st drone in 1917?

I was watching a show the other night where they had metal detectors trying to find parts from the A U.S. Army Air Force Waco CG-4A-WO gliders that carried troops. They only flew in never to be used again. It was pretty interesting. World war II gliders.
800px-Waco_CG-4A_USAF.jpeg

I was watching a show the other night where they had metal detectors trying to find parts from the A U.S. Army Air Force Waco CG-4A-WO gliders that carried troops. They only flew in never to be used again. It was pretty interesting. World war II gliders.
View attachment 6309
I watched that show as well. It was rather interesting. I never knew those existed.

View attachment 6309
Did you mean this show? It was excellent. What a frickin’ death trap unless everything went perfectly. You had one shot at landing......often in the dark, in a field you’ve never been before, that might have anti-glider polls, or be flooded...

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Did you mean this show? It was excellent. What a frickin’ death trap unless everything went perfectly. You had one shot at landing......often in the dark, in a field you’ve never been before, that might have anti-glider polls, or be flooded...
The one I watched was this one.

The Germans were using gliders a long time before WW2 and were the first to use them in the war. I think they even had a glider they used to kamikaze into Allied bombers.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
The Germans were using gliders a long time before WW2 and were the first to use them in the war. I think they even had a glider they used to kamikaze into Allied bombers.
Yes they did. The Luftwaffe was heavily restricted after WWI, so Germany got around the Versailles Treaty by training 1000's of young pilots using gliders in the 30's -- until they decided to ignore the Treaty and build 1000's of planes... They once did try using Bf-109's to ram bombers in 1945 -- the pilots were supposed to bail-out right before the hit. Your timing had to be perfect...

Reactions: PoorMoney
Yes they did. The Luftwaffe was heavily restricted after WWI, so Germany got around the Versailles Treaty by training 1000's of young pilots using gliders in the 30's -- until they decided to ignore the Treaty and build 1000's of planes... They once did try using Bf-109's to ram bombers in 1945 -- the pilots were supposed to bail-out right before the hit. Your timing had to be perfect...
Yoy are right Hilo. I did a little research on this and it is little known. Guess the German pilots weren't as nutts as the Japs.
Towards the end of World War II, the German Luftwaffe airforce resorted to a series of deadly suicide missions. Die Welt journalist and historian Sven Felix Kellerhoff examines a little documented chapter in Germany's military history.

Sven Felix Kellerhoff
DIE WELT
2011-03-29
English editionWORLDCRUNCH

Reactions: PoorMoney
Yoy are right Hilo. I did a little research on this and it is little known. Guess the German pilots weren't as nutts as the Japs.
Towards the end of World War II, the German Luftwaffe airforce resorted to a series of deadly suicide missions. Die Welt journalist and historian Sven Felix Kellerhoff examines a little documented chapter in Germany's military history.

Sven Felix Kellerhoff
DIE WELT
2011-03-29
English editionWORLDCRUNCH
Look up the Neger and Marder submarine.

Also the radio remote controlled goliath track mine and Borgward IV.

Last edited:
Reactions: butch
My father in-law flew on on d- day. 1 way ticket to hell. If you land safely you had to fight your way out. Crashing meant cargo would crush you. They carrried a Jeep & a few troops. Germans shot through wood floors and troops arrived would arrive wounded or worse.
crazy what teens would do for their country then!

My father in-law flew on on d- day. 1 way ticket to hell. If you land safely you had to fight your way out. Crashing meant cargo would crush you. They carrried a Jeep & a few troops. Germans shot through wood floors and troops arrived would arrive wounded or worse.
crazy what teens would do for their country then!
There was no limit to what those guys would and did do. My father in-law operated a landing craft in South Pacific island hopping.

Here's one of the first drones called the BUG. Designed by inventor Charles Kettering and built by the Wright brothers. They were all friends and collaborated together on several inventive projects. Kettering also collaborated with Henry Ford on several inventions. Among Kettering's inventions are air-conditioning, electric starter, electric cash register, fast drying paint...he had the second highest number of patented inventions next to Thomas Edison.
Kettering Aerial Torpedo “Bug”

View attachment 6309
These gliders could also be snatched by other aircraft and towed out and then land somewhere else. It was a rare procedure but it was done several times. Here's actual film of such a snatch in a famous case of several crash survivors being stranded for weeks and no other way out. A couple gliders were able to land in a very small clearing (not large enough for powered aircraft to land or take off). Then the gliders were loaded with the survivors, snatch wires set up on poles then the rescue planes flew low overhead to snatch the wire and tow the glider out. Big rescue. Go to 10:00 if you just want to watch the snatch. By the way...the book about this rescue is excellent. "Lost in Shangri La". You can get it on Amazon and is a New York Times best seller. I couldn't put it down.

These gliders could also be snatched by other aircraft and towed out and then land somewhere else. It was a rare procedure but it was done several times. Here's actual film of such a snatch in a famous case of several crash survivors being stranded for weeks and no other way out. A couple gliders were able to land in a very small clearing (not large enough for powered aircraft to land or take off). Then the gliders were loaded with the survivors, snatch wires set up on poles then the rescue planes flew low overhead to snatch the wire and tow the glider out. Big rescue. Go to 10:00 if you just want to watch the snatch. By the way...the book about this rescue is excellent. "Lost in Shangri La". You can get it on Amazon and is a New York Times best seller. I couldn't put it down.
Love this, read the book years ago. In the video, picking up the chute on take off almost spelled disaster though.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy