Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tablet GPS and Cellular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubik3x

Reaction score
My EVO II Pro will be delivered next week. I would like to buy a small tablet to use as the display. My question is, how important is it to have GPS and cellular on the tablet? Apple iPads typically don't have GPS unless you get the cellular version (more expensive). Samsung Galaxy Tabs all seem to have GPS built in. What would I lose by NOT having GPS on the tablet? Is cellular plan required to use the maps function? I've been searching around this forum and haven't found definitive answers.

You do not need GPS or cellular on your tablet.

The GPS on the tablet is used if you wish to change the Home Point after take off.

As for maps, I believe you can cache them before flight. If not, you can always tether from your phone and you are good to go. The drone will always know where it is, even if you don't have maps displayed. I fly with an offline phone all the time.

OK. What feature of the smart phone provides this proof? Saving flight logs? Recording video feed? GPS data on the phone? Connection to a cellular network? Why would the phone or, tablet in my case, need its own GPS to provide this documentation? I'm coming from Typhoon H where everything was built into the controller, so I'm new to this.

OK. What feature of the smart phone provides this proof? Saving flight logs? Recording video feed? GPS data on the phone? Connection to a cellular network? Why would the phone or, tablet in my case, need its own GPS to provide this documentation? I'm coming from Typhoon H where everything was built into the controller, so I'm new to this.

Yes only flight logs are recorded when using a smart phone. Several members had their EVO I fly away only using the RC. Autel was kind enough to replace the EVO I for them but a email asking them if this is standard they said it is by a case by case basis.

Yes only flight logs are recorded when using a smart phone. Several members had their EVO I fly away only using the RC. Autel was kind enough to replace the EVO I for them but a email asking them if this is standard they said it is by a case by case basis.
I'm looking to use a tablet, not a smart phone. All tablets can record data but some tablets don't come with GPS unless you buy the more expensive cellular version. So, my question still; Is GPS on the tablet required for anything other than locating home? Doesn't the EVO controller itself have a GPS receiver?

HAY! I just want to know if I should pay extra for the iPad Mini with WiFi and Cellular (which is the only way to get GPS) or just get the one with WiFi only.

Last edited:
Buy a external garment GPS. Many parrot users do just that. Hook up to the Bluetooth and away u go. Outside at the bonfire right now so I don't have a link right now, but it does work 100%.

I think I found the answer from Alejandro at Autel Customer Support, quoted here in Sept. 20, 2018 by YuKay:

"The Evo works with our Autel Explorer app which is not available for MacOS only for iOS or Android.
That being said, you do not need to get a mobile device with a cellular connection. You can buy a phone or tablet that only runs on WiFi, in fact the iPad that Apple released back in spring of this year is a relatively inexpensive option and would have a familiar feel to your Mac. All you would need to do is be on your WiFi to download our Autel Explorer app but other than that you do not need to have any sort of mobile data connection to run your Evo or any of the smart flight modes!"

Also, the appropriate map can be cached to the iPad when WiFi is available, like at home or cell phone hot spot. Have I got this right?

Reactions: Jsizzle*EVO*1_Alpha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller