Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How big can be the smartphone

Jockel2000

Reaction score
I recently bought an Autel EVO Nano + and run it together with a Samsung Galaxy S9 (5.8 inches)
A bit more display would be nice when flying the drone.

Now I was thinking of buying a used, larger smartphone just for the drone.

I have 2 questions about this:

- Does anyone know what is the largest smartphone that fits in the controller (other than Apple) . It does not have to be an expensive smartphone, the main thing is that it has a large display

- Is it possible to use a smartphone for the controller that does not have a SIM card. To install the APP I could use my old SIM card for a short time to remove it again.
But is a SIM card needed exclusively to fly ?

Thanks for your help

Jockel

I recently bought an Autel EVO Nano + and run it together with a Samsung Galaxy S9 (5.8 inches)
A bit more display would be nice when flying the drone.

Now I was thinking of buying a used, larger smartphone just for the drone.

I have 2 questions about this:

- Does anyone know what is the largest smartphone that fits in the controller (other than Apple) . It does not have to be an expensive smartphone, the main thing is that it has a large display

- Is it possible to use a smartphone for the controller that does not have a SIM card. To install the APP I could use my old SIM card for a short time to remove it again.
But is a SIM card needed exclusively to fly ?

Thanks for your help

Jockel
For your second question, I have a spare smart phone with no sim card in it that I sometimes use. I jsut tether off my normal mobile phone and it works fine. I jsut connected that phone to my wifi network to install the app.

For your first question, I cant answer, but I wanted a bigger screen, so I jsut went the tablet route and bought the Lifthor mount. Use that pretty much all the time now, although the mobile is in my drone case, it hardly gets used.

Use a Tablet and attach a phone case with some velcro. As with most devices sun is our issue

For your second question, I have a spare smart phone with no sim card in it that I sometimes use. I jsut tether off my normal mobile phone and it works fine. I jsut connected that phone to my wifi network to install the app.

For your first question, I cant answer, but I wanted a bigger screen, so I jsut went the tablet route and bought the Lifthor mount. Use that pretty much all the time now, although the mobile is in my drone case, it hardly gets used.
Thanks for your reply.
I have searched with Google for this Lifthor mount, but can not find it. Do you have a link so I can take a look at the Lifthor mount ?

Thanks for your reply.
I have searched with Google for this Lifthor mount, but can not find it. Do you have a link so I can take a look at the Lifthor mount ?

I use a Hauwei mate 20 x. It's a 7.2 inch smart phone. Dimensions are 174.60 x 85.40 x 8.15mm, and I can just fit it in the cradle.

I use a Hauwei mate 20 x. It's a 7.2 inch smart phone. Dimensions are 174.60 x 85.40 x 8.15mm, and I can just fit it in the cradle.
Hello Puppies ,
Thanks for your answer. 7.2 inches, that sounds good.
Will the smartphone really fit in the controller?
When I pull out the holder (antenna) and measure, I see 84 mm.

And you have no problems using the smartphone in the controller?
Thanks

Like I said, it just fits (with a bit of light persuading.)
It's pretty well the widest smart phone out there, so you shouldn't have any problems whatever smartphone you use 👍

Reactions: Jockel2000
Like I said, it just fits (with a bit of light persuading.)
It's pretty well the widest smart phone out there, so you shouldn't have any problems whatever smartphone you use 👍
Tell me, is it the PRO version or the light one?
or are they both the same width?

The Hauwei mate 20 x is a one off phone, there is no lite or pro version. Just checked eBay, and there are quite a few for sale, but they're asking silly money for them, considering it's a nearly 4 year old phone 🤷‍♂️

The Hauwei mate 20 x is a one off phone, there is no lite or pro version. Just checked eBay, and there are quite a few for sale, but they're asking silly money for them, considering it's a nearly 4 year old phone 🤷‍♂️
Now I have understood it correctly. You are right, huawei mate 20 x is a one off phone (standalone model)
I always thought the "X" stood for PRO or LIGHT.

You are right, the prices are still very high :-(

Thanks for all the information

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58