Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Suggestions for mapping a large area?

Reaction score
Hello!!!
I have a proposal to map 56.6km² of urban areas in a city.
It is necessary to provide orthophoto with 5cm GSD.
STANDARD OF CARTOGRAPHIC ACCURACY (PEC) CLASS A.
SCALE 1:1000.
AT LEAST 100 CHECKPOINTS.
DIGITAL TERRAIN MODEL (MDT) AND DIGITAL SURFACE MODEL (MDS) AT SCALE 1:1000.

Do you think it's feasible to do this with an Evo 2 RTK?

Reactions: EBEPLS
Hello!!!
I have a proposal to map 56.6km² of urban areas in a city.
It is necessary to provide orthophoto with 5cm GSD.
STANDARD OF CARTOGRAPHIC ACCURACY (PEC) CLASS A.
SCALE 1:1000.
AT LEAST 100 CHECKPOINTS.
DIGITAL TERRAIN MODEL (MDT) AND DIGITAL SURFACE MODEL (MDS) AT SCALE 1:1000.

Do you think it's feasible to do this with an Evo 2 RTK?
I wouldn't think so in my opinion. A client of ours wanted some updated imagery for a 170 ac tract. I reviewed what I would have to have as batteries use and time to fly. I called a photogrammetry firm which we use occasionally (Sanborn) and they said they would get me a cost on this tomorrow. I don't think I would want to try flying that size of a tract of land.

In my opinion, I just don't think anything bigger than 50 ac is really economical with the EVO. Think about the processing time and the computer software needed for the project. That and flying the site in a manageable section per day. 56 sq km = 13,837 acres.

I'd call a photogrammetry firm.

Reactions: Shelby Griggs
In my opinion all could ve possible. However, if you don't have a computer with nice specs. From the other side, about using a RTK Drone could be used Just in case your client requiere it. As fas as I know, rtk drone are used for topography works when high accuracy it is compulsary. So my good sugesttion is discuss with your client the terms for this contact. Best regards
I wouldn't think so in my opinion. A client of ours wanted some updated imagery for a 170 ac tract. I reviewed what I would have to have as batteries use and time to fly. I called a photogrammetry firm which we use occasionally (Sanborn) and they said they would get me a cost on this tomorrow. I don't think I would want to try flying that size of a tract of land.

In my opinion, I just don't think anything bigger than 50 ac is really economical with the EVO. Think about the processing time and the computer software needed for the project. That and flying the site in a manageable section per day. 56 sq km = 13,837 acres.

I’ve done about half that, and have processed the area in batches and then combined at the end. It’s certainly doable, although it was not quick.

100% correct answer, because you can doesn't mean you should, wrong tool for that size of project.

Any drone with a mechanical shutter can do it. I have a contract to map a 1,000 acre solar farm weekly for construction progress. Usually 4,500 photos result. Processing by DroneDeploy takes about 36 hours. I started with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro but upgraded to a DJI Mavic 3 Enterprise. The M3E can take the photos while averaging 30 mph and do the job in about 4-5 hours (including 5-6 battery swaps depending on wind).
I recently tried a small 1.0-acre map with my Autel EVOII Pro because the property was in restricted airspace (I had an FAA waiver but the Mavic 3E kept locking up at waypoints in the route even with the DJI unlock code). The EVOII average speed was slightly less than 11 mph and it took nearly an hour with one battery swap. Based on that experience, I doubt that i could ever use The EVOII to map anything larger than a few acres unless I had at least a half dozen batteries, multiple chargers and a lot of time. Processing any amount of photos in DroneDep0loy is not an issue. I've also processed thousands of photos with Pix4D, Maps Made Easy and Metashape (on a very powerful computer) so photogrammetry software is not the issue.

Any drone with a mechanical shutter can do it. I have a contract to map a 1,000 acre solar farm weekly for construction progress. Usually 4,500 photos result. Processing by DroneDeploy takes about 36 hours. I started with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro but upgraded to a DJI Mavic 3 Enterprise. The M3E can take the photos while averaging 30 mph and do the job in about 4-5 hours (including 5-6 battery swaps depending on wind).
I recently tried a small 1.0-acre map with my Autel EVOII Pro because the property was in restricted airspace (I had an FAA waiver but the Mavic 3E kept locking up at waypoints in the route even with the DJI unlock code). The EVOII average speed was slightly less than 11 mph and it took nearly an hour with one battery swap. Based on that experience, I doubt that i could ever use The EVOII to map anything larger than a few acres unless I had at least a half dozen batteries, multiple chargers and a lot of time. Processing any amount of photos in DroneDep0loy is not an issue. I've also processed thousands of photos with Pix4D, Maps Made Easy and Metashape (on a very powerful computer) so photogrammetry software is not the issue.
That’s odd. I just did an ortho of 14.5 acres with an EVO 2 v1, and the entire flight took only 14min for 153 photos. 11mph is the default speed.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout