Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Spare battery

slvervper99

Reaction score
So I bought a spare battery from Best Buy, updated the firmware on that battery when I updated to the beta firmware, maybe it's me being paranoid but it seems that the spare battery that I bought from Best Buy discharges faster than the one that came with the brand new drone. I understand that batteries charges can vary minimally but I hooked up the spare to the drone and it states 79%, this was fully charged last weekend, while my original battery still read 95%. I charged both at the same time last weekend one after the other.

This might have something to do with it. I know they did a lot of work to the way the battery is read now.

12. Improved battery self-discharging control based on temperature.

I've had some battery issues. Can't confirm the cause. I've got three. After 22 charges two of them quit charging fully. And they swelled. Most I could get was 18 minutes flight time. Autel warranted them. I bought them from Autel.

Only thing I've read that I was not doing was letting the batteries cool before charging. I would take them out of the Drone depleted and go straight to the charger. I'll try to avoid that and see if I get along better.

I've bought everything direct from Autel. I've had excellent Customer Service from them in regards to replacements.

This might have something to do with it. I know they did a lot of work to the way the battery is read now.

12. Improved battery self-discharging control based on temperature.
Yup, saw this on the update, but I updated both batteries, shouldn't their discharge rates be pretty similar, a 17% percent difference in discharge rates I believe is a pretty wide difference, 79% against 95%. Yes and I do cool them down before charging them. ovrszd mentioned that he depletes them, I however charge them up once they hit 20-25%

I have three batteries and they all seem to me to discharge the same but I never let them sit fully charged more than a day. I practice good battery management and have spent a lot of time on learning about lipo batteries. I take my batteries down to storage level using my aftermarket charger (14.9-14.8 volts) Actually I have never had one of my Autel batteries discharge on their own, if it did it so slow that the battery is already damaged from being fully charged.

Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG

20170122_092359.jpg 20170122_092359.jpg 20170122_092329.jpg

Yup, saw this on the update, but I updated both batteries, shouldn't their discharge rates be pretty similar, a 17% percent difference in discharge rates I believe is a pretty wide difference, 79% against 95%. Yes and I do cool them down before charging them. ovrszd mentioned that he depletes them, I however charge them up once they hit 20-25%

Normally I am recharging at 20-25% also. Andrew suggested I deplete them occasionally to improve full charge rate.

I have three batteries and they all seem to me to discharge the same but I never let them sit fully charged more than a day. I practice good battery management and have spent a lot of time on learning about lipo batteries. I take my batteries down to storage level using my aftermarket charger (14.9-14.8 volts) Actually I have never had one of my Autel batteries discharge on their own, if it did it so slow that the battery is already damaged from being fully charged.

View attachment 944

View attachment 945 View attachment 945 View attachment 947

Oh wow, you are so far above my comprehension level I can't see you.

1. So every day that I don't fly I should discharge my batteries?

2. I should discharge my batteries using some type of mechanism?

3. Should I change my discharge time to every day?

4. So, every time I decide to fly I need to plan far enough ahead to recharge my 3 batteries that I discharged yesterday?

I carry my XSP in my truck everywhere I go. I spontaneously fly. Is that gone?

Thanks for your patience with my ignorance. :)

No I am not so far above you my friend. i am learning everyday as I read things. You do not have to discharge your batteries every day but the longer they stay charged close to full is not good. There is a lot of good info out there for lipo batteries. I use Battery Information Table of Contents, Basic to Advanced
Lots of good info there if you like to read and learn.
One of the beta testers made a good PDF file on battery care.

Attachments

• Heaths_Battery_Advice.pdf
    462.1 KB · Views: 10
Normally I am recharging at 20-25% also. Andrew suggested I deplete them occasionally to improve full charge rate.

When you say deplete occasionally what percentage would that be?

Norm, 6%. Don't go below 5%.

I did it at low height hover close to me. You have to override the auto RTH and critical land functions. Pushing the left stick to the UP position and holding it for 3 seconds does this for you.

Norm, 6%. Don't go below 5%.

I did it at low height hover close to me. You have to override the auto RTH and critical land functions. Pushing the left stick to the UP position and holding it for 3 seconds does this for you.
Many thanks ovrszd much obliged

I read the PDF on battery health and one has to take it seriously so I was on Amazon to order a Lipo Battery Safe Bag Fireproof
as a 3 pack for $21.00 but I checked further and found the exact same thing for $5.39 delivered. Gee I don't know how they can afford to do this with shipping included and of course
from China. The lesson shop around !

There's so many things to learn about LiPo's it's making my head spin; lol. Thanks for that info Agustine, I recharged my spare battery yesterday but when I saw that it done charging above the 50% level which is the second light and started blinking on the third light, I disconnected it from charging, I assume this is what you meant at storage level since both batteries were just over the 50% level when I got them.

LiPos have great self-discharge characteristics; meaning that they will hold their charge for a long time when they aren’t in use. For maximum longevity, it is advisable to set batteries to a storage state (about 3.8v per cell) if they are going to be unused for more than a few days. So for me when checking my voltage of the battery I have one solid light and one flashing light. That shows up on the App as 31% battery voltage left.

Great info Agustine. I remember back in the day of NiMH batteries and using battery conditioners to extend their life. You are basically the battery conditioner...wonder if someone will come up with one soon.

I purchased three batteries with my Drone and have had two fail already. I have my discharge set at 6 days. When I recharge it's always to "full".

I'm a spontaneous pilot. That really sucks if I have to keep my batteries at less than 50% to get any life out of them. No spontaneity there..... :(

In conjunction with the battery discussion, what 12V charger does everyone recommend?? Sounds like I need a second charger. So, a 12V charger that will handle two chargers at once??

Just remember when charging these batteries with a aftermarket charger you need to have the charger set at 4.9 amps and in order to charge the batteries they need to be turned on. When it reaches full charge the battery will shut off by itself.
I find the Autel charger to charge pretty darn fast and don't see much difference with the aftermarket charger. I use the aftermarket charger more for discharge to storage.

Reactions: KentA

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials