Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Sorry Autel

When we were going through all the beta Apps to try and solve connection issues and just plain improvements the Android App was always out a week to two weeks before the iOS one. It seems with every update Apple has to approve them again. And then again Apple did the big screw up with iOS 11 and lots of Apps stopped working :)

The Parrot Anafi launches July 1st. They said they will have spare batteries and parts on July 8th. At least they let their customers know what is expected.

Off topic, I'm sort of intrigued by the Anafi. Its an odd little thing, with its goofy 21MP camera that tilts all the way up and its odd looking props. It's complete lack of OA, it's very French. It's the Citroen 2CV of the drone world.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I like everything about except for some of the videos I have seen the yaw is jerky. Not having that third Axis might be problem. Still need to see more tests before I decide.

I like everything about except for some of the videos I have seen the yaw is jerky. Not having that third Axis might be problem. Still need to see more tests before I decide.
Don't mean to sound dumb, but when you mention third axis, you're talking about it being electronic as opposed to mechanical right?

Autel announced they laid-off their marketing folks many months ago as a cost saving measure. It’s painfully obvious today.

I’ve seen this happen many times in Silicon Valley. Engineers, who know more about everything than anyone, always think they can handle any aspect of business. Hubris on HGH.
Marketing, communications, even customer service can be easily handled by highly-trained, super-smart engineers. Sadly, this notion only makes sense to engineers.

Announcing on your homepage just hours after a HUGE product launch —- SORRY, item is out-of-stock, is utter madness.

Incompetent market analysis, production planning, marketing & communications — all exposed in just hours. I like and respect engineers, just keep them well-fed, and totally sequestered. ;)

I am rooting for EVO and Autel, but hire AT LEAST ONE MARCOMM body to assist the effort (and listen to them)...

Last edited:
Autel announced they laid-off their marketing folks many months ago as a cost saving measure. It’s painfully obvious today.

I’ve seen this happen many times in Silicon Valley. Engineers, who know more about everything than anyone, always think they can handle any aspect of business. Hubris on HGH.
Marketing, communications, even customer service can be easily handled by highly-trained, super-smart engineers. Sadly, this notion only makes sense to engineers.

Announcing on your homepage just hours after a HUGE product launch —- SORRY, item is out-of-stock, is utter madness.

Incompetent market analysis, production planning, marketing & communications — all exposed in just hours. I like and respect engineers, just keep them well-fed, and totally sequestered. ;)

I am rooting for EVO and Autel, but hire AT LEAST ONE MARCOMM body to assist the effort (and listen to them)...

As a developer that ran his own business for some time I take some exception to this, but only some. I have handled communications, customer service and even some marketing. But that said, I knew when to call in assistance. And I have history of customer service and technical support. That said, a company the size of Autel should either have someone on staff dedicated to marketing and communications or at least contract to a marketing company to handle this for them.

As to the out of stock, it's simple math. "We have x number of pre-orders. We will need a minimum of x*1.7(or whatever the retail golden numbers is, but I think it is close to +70%) retail products at launch and (x+x*1.7)*2 of all consumable accessories. If they are doing a rolling roll out of Pre-Orders first say that SOMEWHERE.

I'm no expert with marketing or business but would've it made more sense if they have kept producing the X-Star instead of taking it off the market completely. This would've at least continued some cash flow into the business instead of using up some of the revenues for the R & D of the EVO and now have less cash flow since they have not been selling the X-Star a few months prior to the launching of the EVO. Keeping the X-Star on the market would at least people a choice between choosing the EVO or the XSP. Similar to DJI's P4 and the Mavic Pro, give consumers a choice instead of concentrating only on one product. This is true that it may cut some sales off the EVO but at least consumer still buy products of Autel. I mean you don't see auto manufacturers only making one model of a car. This would prove disastrous.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
As a developer that ran his own business for some time I take some exception to this, but only some. I have handled communications, customer service and even some marketing. But that said, I knew when to call in assistance. And I have history of customer service and technical support. That said, a company the size of Autel should either have someone on staff dedicated to marketing and communications or at least contract to a marketing company to handle this for them.

As to the out of stock, it's simple math. "We have x number of pre-orders. We will need a minimum of x*1.7(or whatever the retail golden numbers is, but I think it is close to +70%) retail products at launch and (x+x*1.7)*2 of all consumable accessories. If they are doing a rolling roll out of Pre-Orders first say that SOMEWHERE.

Valid points. I’ve done some MARCOMM, and worked with many experienced pros.

OK, you have limited stock. Fine, it’s almost expected at launch. Instead of a sales turn-off “Out of Stock”, put an expected ship date! You must have SOME CLUE as to the ability to manufacture and ship EVO’s prior to product launch. Do what Apple & others do — don’t mention you don’t have any, keep a live, moving-target expected ship date to keep the orders flowing-in. This can actually swell enthusiasm—

“Damn! These EVO’s are selling-out FAST! I better get-in the order queue now!” Apple is a master at this, somehow making you feel kinda cool about waiting weeks for a product.

This is pretty basic MARCOMM. I see EVO’s are back in stock right now. Yo Autel: Don’t ever say Out of Stock again, just list real-time expected ship dates...

I'm no expert with marketing or business but would've it made more sense if they have kept producing the X-Star instead of taking it off the market completely. This would've at least continued some cash flow into the business instead of using up some of the revenues for the R & D of the EVO and now have less cash flow since they have not been selling the X-Star a few months prior to the launching of the EVO. Keeping the X-Star on the market would at least people a choice between choosing the EVO or the XSP. Similar to DJI's P4 and the Mavic Pro, give consumers a choice instead of concentrating only on one product. This is true that it may cut some sales off the EVO but at least consumer still buy products of Autel. I mean you don't see auto manufacturers only making one model of a car. This would prove disastrous.
Yea, I agree. It sounded as though Autel didn’t have the resources to support 2 product lines (kinda scary), so they just looked forward. I’d have reduced the XSP price, make it your (very good) entry-level drone for $599. It gives you cash flow, tells your customers you’re not going to abandon them, and makes the EVO, the “premium” line.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Yea, I agree. It sounded as though Autel didn’t have the resources to support 2 product lines (kinda scary), so they just looked forward. I’d have reduced the XSP price, make it your (very good) entry-level drone for $599. It gives you cash flow, tells your customers you’re not going to abandon them, and makes the EVO, the “premium” line.

I think they're targeting a different market with a lot of their resources. The Kestrel is a totally different beast from basically anything on the market. I'm not sure when it's actually getting released or what the price is. Not really suitable for US usage due to current VLOS rules.

The other challenge is that I doubt they could make any money on an XSP at $599. There's too much complexity in a 3-axis gimbal to hit that price point. And switching to a 2-axis gimbal requires to much design effort for a price point target, that realistically is going to sell <1k units.

The Kestrel has been redesigned by a few companies and is flying commercial for them. I would have to look them up but the design is nothing new and not sure if Autel is getting part of the reward.

The Kestrel has been redesigned by a few companies and is flying commercial for them. I would have to look them up but the design is nothing new and not sure if Autel is getting part of the reward.

Really? By who? I'm not doubting you, I'm genuinely curious. The Kestrel seemed far more sophisticated than any of the other VTOL fixed wings I had seen.
Most others had fixed props, and didn't seem to do the neat folding tricks.
If you would please share some links, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I think they're targeting a different market with a lot of their resources. The Kestrel is a totally different beast from basically anything on the market. I'm not sure when it's actually getting released or what the price is. Not really suitable for US usage due to current VLOS rules.

The other challenge is that I doubt they could make any money on an XSP at $599. There's too much complexity in a 3-axis gimbal to hit that price point. And switching to a 2-axis gimbal requires to much design effort for a price point target, that realistically is going to sell <1k units.
Good points! Make it $650-699! Enough to make it worth the effort, and broaden the customer base?

Good points! Make it $650-699! Enough to make it worth the effort, and broaden the customer base?
Or, they could have made an EVO junior, I mean Yuneec had the Breeze, DJI (yes, I know I'm burning in hell by saying that brand) have the Mavic Air and the Spark. I mean the technology is already there so R & D shouldn't be too difficult. But what do I know.

Really? By who? I'm not doubting you, I'm genuinely curious. The Kestrel seemed far more sophisticated than any of the other VTOL fixed wings I had seen.
Most others had fixed props, and didn't seem to do the neat folding tricks.
If you would please share some links, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
I can't remember were I might have read about it as I visit many different sites that cover UAV news. I might even be wrong which would not surprise me. :)
I think if you go through this site I read of a company who expanded on it. I don't have the time to do research as summer is passing us by.

sUAS News - The Business of Drones

Perhaps I was thinking about something like this. Being a VTOL type of drone I maybe thought it was a long the same lines as the Krestrel.

Swift Radioplanes Lynx VTOL - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

And these guys have some pretty neat stuff to.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)

Last edited:
Valid points. I’ve done some MARCOMM, and worked with many experienced pros.

OK, you have limited stock. Fine, it’s almost expected at launch. Instead of a sales turn-off “Out of Stock”, put an expected ship date! You must have SOME CLUE as to the ability to manufacture and ship EVO’s prior to product launch. Do what Apple & others do — don’t mention you don’t have any, keep a live, moving-target expected ship date to keep the orders flowing-in. This can actually swell enthusiasm—

“Damn! These EVO’s are selling-out FAST! I better get-in the order queue now!” Apple is a master at this, somehow making you feel kinda cool about waiting weeks for a product.

This is pretty basic MARCOMM. I see EVO’s are back in stock right now. Yo Autel: Don’t ever say Out of Stock again, just list real-time expected ship dates...

Exactly!!! Again, if their marketing team doesn't get on the ball yesterday, this whole thing may end up being disastrous. Autel, listen to your fan base. We know what we're talking about.

The Parrot Anafi launches July 1st. They said they will have spare batteries and parts on July 8th. At least they let their customers know what is expected.
Can you recommend a forum that is focused on the Parrot Anafi?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials