Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Sorry Autel

Autelguy

Reaction score
To be fair, in the past I've posted some negative comments about Autel and in particular their marketing department. In all honesty, I never thought the Evo would come to fruition. My previous comments about Autel keeping so quiet was out of frustration. I despise DJI and would never buy from them. Not because of their products but because of their app and horrible customer support. I simply wanted Autel to seize the moment after CES and not stay stagnant on their web site as they have been for over a year.

I'm super excited about the launch of the Evo and hope they put DJI to bed. I'm this close to pulling the trigger for an Evo but have 4 concerns.

1) Props in the video

2) Horizon tilt

3) Distance

4) Flight time

First the props. None of the people who have already received their Evo's are really talking about it in their videos. I'm very curious to know how far down the camera needs to be tilted in order to avoid props. The whole point of having an arial drone is to take some amazing videos. I would love to know at what degree you need to fly in in order to avoid the props in the footage. Can this be resolved with a firmware update? I'm assuming not but would love to hear what all of you think.

2) Horizon tilt is bad. Most all of the videos currently available are from Pre-release Evo's. I don't think it would take much to fix the issue with a new firmware push. Do you agree? If so, I've read that Autel is very very slow at pushing out firmware updates in the past. Do you think the retail version would have this issue resolved?

3) Distance is not what others expected. A couple of the videos I've seen state that the claimed 4.3 miles is not even close. Do you think this issue will get resolved since they're no longer using 900mhz and 2.4 frequency combined?

4) Battery life is a big one for me. Most videos show a battery life of much less than 30 minutes. Again, do you think this can be resolved with a firmware update? In perfect conditions, is 30 minutes even possible?

Again - sorry Autel for not believing the drone would actually come to market. I eat my words and strongly suggest you take advantage of the marketing buzz before the Mavic Pro 2 hits the streets. I think one of the best decisions Autel made was to allow pilots to be responsible for their flights and to remove the Geo Fencing. That move was freaking brilliant. That alone made me want to click the Pre-Order Now button.

Thanks guys

Reactions: Deleted member 1585
I am not worried about horizon tilt anymore. It looks like they fixed it almost completely with the new firmware.
This guy has almost none:

Reactions: Bob Royall
My xstar has tilted horizon 90% of the time. Depends on how I fly it. Last video I did with it I did not have edit it in post at all for that problem. Just got lucky and I think these guys get lucky to.

It seems that the problem seems to be at the end of a yaw. See 6:30 and 6:36 in the video. Weird. Perhaps someone who has a pre-release and a retail version could post their firmware versions. I'm sure Autel can fix the horizon tilt problem. It's the amount of props in the video that really concern me. If someone who owns an Evo could please do a video on the tilt degree before props show up in the frame, that would be wonderful. I doubt there is any way to fix that issue with firmware updates. Seems like that is just a design flaw that most drones have. Some more than others.

In this video the owner deals with the tilted horizon and loses the propellers in the video with about a 9 degree tilt of the camera.

Thanks. I must have skipped past that when I saw the same video earlier. So it looks like 9 to 10% degree is the magic number. Horizon looked great. The temporary LOS warning he experienced I think is pretty common when a drone is right above you. I can't wait to get one. What a beautiful place to do a range test.

Yes Danny has been up for 2 days waiting for his EVO. What he fails to see is the camera tilts and self corrects. A few people have mentioned that on the facebook page but he keeps posting every ten minutes and does not listen to them. The man needs to relax and stop trying to get support for his youtube channel. If you want to see the ultimate Autel fanboy he is it. They should hire him to wear a costume of the EVO in front of their building. He would be perfect for it.

"I'm super excited about the launch of the Evo and hope they put DJI to bed"

Really? Put the 800lb. gorilla to bed with a single-thread half baked product line?

Easy. Change is inevitable. You just need will, persistence and to understand your target audience.

Yes Danny has been up for 2 days waiting for his EVO. What he fails to see is the camera tilts and self corrects. A few people have mentioned that on the facebook page but he keeps posting every ten minutes and does not listen to them. The man needs to relax and stop trying to get support for his youtube channel. If you want to see the ultimate Autel fanboy he is it. They should hire him to wear a costume of the EVO in front of their building. He would be perfect for it.

I see what you mean about the tilt then self correct. If enough buyers complain, perhaps Autel will fix sooner than later. The no Geo Fence opens so many doors.

Easy. Change is inevitable. You just need will, persistence and to understand your target audience.
I suppose their target audience must all be Android users... Sorry but this a shameful launch no matter how you look at it.

I suppose their target audience must all be Android users... Sorry but this a shameful launch no matter how you look at it.

Autel doesn't understand marketing. I truly hope they succeed but they've had a very long time to prepare. To learn from past launches, both of their own products and that of others. Their marketing strategy is out of whack. I will never buy DJI simply due to their lack of CS and horrible app. I praise companies with my wallet. What Autel needs are a few spokesmen keeping everyone up to date. To let us know that FW will be available by this date. To let everyone know they are aware of the issues and to thank those for reporting them. To let everyone know, they care as much as we do. When you have that type of relationship with your customers, the sky is the limit. The problem is making their marketing department understand that. For my needs, other than the horizon issue, the Evo does everything I need it to. No Geo Fencing, 3+ miles and decent battery life, OLED display. What they should also have done is to praise early adopters by giving them an extra battery and the bag and dropped the price to $799.00. That would have attracted twice as many to push the button. They only have a short window before the MP2 comes out to make a loud and clear statement.

If they are putting out a 1" sensor, then say so. List the price, the date. Just imagine for a moment if they pulled a stunt where 3 months from now they release a 1". Do you have any idea how pissed off first Evo buyers would be? DJI did that prior to releasing the MP and they caught a lot of flack. Put yourself in your customer's position and do the right thing. It isn't difficult. To change the minds of DJI customers, all Autel needs to do focus on their strengths and capitalize on DJI's weaknesses. If I was the marketing director of Autel, every single Autel customer should have received an email letting them know how much they appreciate the loyalty. Each Xstar customer should have received a coupon code for a ridiculous low price on the Evo if they pre-order by this day. There is so much they could have done up to now. I hope they don't screw the poooch and become another Karma example of what not to do. The clock is ticking, we'll see what happens. I wish them the best.

Last edited:
Autel doesn't understand marketing. I truly hope they succeed but they've had a very long time to prepare. To learn from past launches, both of their own products and that of others. Their marketing strategy is out of whack. I will never buy DJI simply due to their lack of CS and horrible app. I praise companies with my wallet. What Autel needs are a few spokesmen keeping everyone up to date. To let us know that FW will be available by this date. To let everyone know they are aware of the issues and to thank those for reporting them. To let everyone know, they care as much as we do. When you have that type of relationship with your customers, the sky is the limit. The problem is making their marketing department understand that. For my needs, other than the horizon issue, the Evo does everything I need it to. No Geo Fencing, 3+ miles and decent battery life, OLED display. What they should also have done is to praise early adopters by giving them an extra battery and the bag and dropped the price to $799.00. That would have attracted twice as many to push the button. They only have a short window before the MP2 comes out to make a loud and clear statement.
They cant keep up with the demand they currently have. I can only imagine the chaos at a $799 early adopter price point. No, honestly I always hear about this CS and yet it appears they keep everyone in the dark. Not sure how that relates to excellent CS. They also seem to make a lot of promises that never seem to see the light of day. This also doesn't really corelate to extraordinary CS. I really do hope that they pull it together though, because as cliché as it sounds... we need the competition in the marketplace.

Yea they have no excuses what so ever for not having the Apple APP! Every company and their brothers know for a fact Apple is a tough cookie when it comes to approvals. Autel is at fault 100% for not getting the App out to them sooner. But having said that... if and when they get their act together this Evo could be the bomb!

That's the point. They've had plenty of time to prepare. So I agree 100% with no excuses. But hey, it is what it is. You can't help those who feel they don't need the help or who are too closed minded to listen especially to their own customers. I myself have been very successful and I base it all to treating my customers exactly the same way I'd like to be treated myself. While it might sound like a cliche, the truth is - it works. Geeez if I was Autel, I'd have a rep living on this forum and others. I'd be thanking you guys, keeping you up to date, and making promises I could keep. I'd be getting everyone fired up and make you feel like your investment of buying into their world is the best thing since Seared Ahi. Again, it isn't hard. Remember, the best form of advertising isn't Google. It's word of mouth. Always has been and always will be.

Yea they have no excuses what so ever for not having the Apple APP! Every company and their brothers know for a fact Apple is a tough cookie when it comes to approvals. Autel is at fault 100% for not getting the App out to them sooner. But having said that... if and when they get their act together this Evo could be the bomb!

I agree 100%. Go Evo.

That's the point. They've had plenty of time to prepare. So I agree 100% with no excuses. But hey, it is what it is. You can't help those who feel they don't need the help or who are too closed minded to listen especially to their own customers. I myself have been very successful and I base it all to treating my customers exactly the same way I'd like to be treated myself. While it might sound like a cliche, the truth is - it works. Geeez if I was Autel, I'd have a rep living on this forum and others. I'd be thanking you guys, keeping you up to date, and making promises I could keep. I'd be getting everyone fired up and make you feel like your investment of buying into their world is the best thing since Seared Ahi. Again, it isn't hard. Remember, the best form of advertising isn't Google. It's word of mouth. Always has been and always will be.

I've heard of Apple taking exceptionally long approving applications, especially it's they have a relationship with a rival. What that does not excuse the lack of communication. A blog post on their own site that was a running commentary to Apple users would solve much of this. The fact is we don't know when the submitted the App. They could have submitted it in April. All of their issues, and I mean all, could be solved or mitigated with some communication.

Their post sale customer service might be aces but customer service starts before the sale.

Sort of on topic: How the ever loving hell do you launch a product on an industry where a certain accessory sells 2 to 1 on the main product and not start out with a 2 to 1 procurement plan for that accessory? Batteries, props; dealers choice...

I've heard of Apple taking exceptionally long approving applications, especially it's they have a relationship with a rival. What that does not excuse the lack of communication. A blog post on their own site that was a running commentary to Apple users would solve much of this. The fact is we don't know when the submitted the App. They could have submitted it in April. All of their issues, and I mean all, could be solved or mitigated with some communication.

Their post sale customer service might be aces but customer service starts before the sale.

Sort of on topic: How the ever loving hell do you launch a product on an industry where a certain accessory sells 2 to 1 on the main product and not start out with a 2 to 1 procurement plan for that accessory? Batteries, props; dealers choice...

I couldn't agree with you more. Again, their marketing is sub par. Tell me something... Let's assume you pulled the trigger and bought an Evo. If the option to buy and extra set of props or batteries - would you have also added those to the cart? Come on! That's a no brainer. Of course you would have. That's a loss of sales. It screams that you weren't prepared for the business. That right there is why I'm worried. Hopeful but worried. I don't know where I heard this but someone somewhere posted that Autel only sent 5 units to their resellers. If that's the case then you have to believe that Autel is working on a shoe string budget. "If we sell those, we'll make some more." - That screams no confidence if in fact that's true. As you said... "All these issues could have been solved or mitigated with some communication" - That is right on the money.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials