Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question re sensors and Low Level Flying

Bussty

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a buying decision between the Mavic 3 and Lite+ probably would have gone the Lite+ way by now but can't get stock in NZ just yet. So still comparing.

My question is what would happen if you fly the Lite+ close to the ground in a forwards motion not paying too much attention to the altitude and even lowering the drone as if to hit the ground as you fly.

If you do this will the drone effectively skim above the ground using it's downward sensor or will it do what the Mavic Mini does and if you flew to close to the ground with the stick down it will try and auto land and crash in some cases.

Thanks

I wouldn't trust the sensors too much, on any drone.

When flying on purpose close to obstacles, if you pretend to make video, you should turn them off and fly VLOS as sensors will mess with the smoothness of the flight by braking the drone or changing it's position (bypass mode on DJI drones).

Sensors can save your drone sometimes, if you weren't paying attention to the surroundings, but don't rely on them as they usually fail to detect thin obstacles and don't work at all in low light conditions.

Follow me options and flying sideways/backwards without checking the area VLOS are always the perfect receipt for a crash. When flying long range or LOS always leave a huge margin with obstacles.

PS: Aiutel Evo Lite+ downward sensors don't work exactly the same as DJI ones, when you put the hand under a DJI drone it rises up as soon as it detects the hand, when you do that on the Lite+ it just stays in the same place.

The main difference between Lite+ and M3 will come from the fact that all DJI drones violate your privacy by transmitting all your telemetry, GPS position and email to DJI Aeroscope units at range (it's basically an eID), Autel drones don't do that and also don't have geofencing, so the only limitation you get is the 800m altitude from the takeoff point (500m on DJI). Although some DJI drones can be hacked to eliminate the geofencing and altitude limits, they'll keep sending the data to the DJI Aeroscope units.

For the past 2 years DJI Aeroscope has become quite popular in some countries.

I was trying to do this some days ago at an airfield over grassland, at bright sunshine. Altitude at the beginning was about 20 feet. The drone went forward some yards, then stopped immediately with an obstracle warning on the app's display. So I moved some additional feet upwards. Then the drone went forward again, slowed down, and again stopped with an other obstracle warning. At an altitude of about 60 feet the Lite went smoothly forward, but not below. To me the downward obstracle warning is much too sensitive. I tried to change the settings at the Autel Sky app, but unfortunately there is no option to do so. (I know the airfields surface pretty well and I am sure that there was no obstracle for more than 2000 yards.) Guess I will do the next flight without obstracle warning.

I was trying to do this some days ago at an airfield over grassland, at bright sunshine. Altitude at the beginning was about 20 feet. The drone went forward some yards, then stopped immediately with an obstracle warning on the app's display. So I moved some additional feet upwards. Then the drone went forward again, slowed down, and again stopped with an other obstracle warning. At an altitude of about 60 feet the Lite went smoothly forward, but not below. To me the downward obstracle warning is much too sensitive. I tried to change the settings at the Autel Sky app, but unfortunately there is no option to do so. (I know the airfields surface pretty well and I am sure that there was no obstracle for more than 2000 yards.) Guess I will do the next flight without obstracle warning.
Great info thank you.

I wouldn't trust the sensors too much, on any drone.

When flying on purpose close to obstacles, if you pretend to make video, you should turn them off and fly VLOS as sensors will mess with the smoothness of the flight by braking the drone or changing it's position (bypass mode on DJI drones).

Sensors can save your drone sometimes, if you weren't paying attention to the surroundings, but don't rely on them as they usually fail to detect thin obstacles and don't work at all in low light conditions.

Follow me options and flying sideways/backwards without checking the area VLOS are always the perfect receipt for a crash. When flying long range or LOS always leave a huge margin with obstacles.

PS: Aiutel Evo Lite+ downward sensors don't work exactly the same as DJI ones, when you put the hand under a DJI drone it rises up as soon as it detects the hand, when you do that on the Lite+ it just stays in the same place.

The main difference between Lite+ and M3 will come from the fact that all DJI drones violate your privacy by transmitting all your telemetry, GPS position and email to DJI Aeroscope units at range (it's basically an eID), Autel drones don't do that and also don't have geofencing, so the only limitation you get is the 800m altitude from the takeoff point (500m on DJI). Although some DJI drones can be hacked to eliminate the geofencing and altitude limits, they'll keep sending the data to the DJI Aeroscope units.

For the past 2 years DJI Aeroscope has become quite popular in some countries.
Thanks so that's that idea out of my head :) I know what you mean about Geofencing we had a stunning sunrise this morning and I didn't even bother to put the Mavic Mini up as by the time I work through the DJI Geofencing (we are shielded here but 5kms from an Airport) the shot would be gone. For me this is one of the big plusses of the Lite+

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan