Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Pseudo obstacle detection issue

truesword

Reaction score
So I'm flying my EVO in the scrub. Evo is approx 35 metres AGL I stop, turn on video, then begin to yaw around to capture footage. I finish the capture, stop video, then stick forward to return back to my location when evo suddenly stops. Stick forward again, evo starts then stops - I see the display detecting obstacle in front (approx 1.6 metres) yet I'm 35 metres AGL nothing in sight!! I yaw a little more, now its detecting something about 6 metres away - I'm in the air nothing around the craft.

I end-up ascending to 45 metres - thankfully I can now move forward. I land the craft, re-calibrate sticks and compass, then re-try. Go to the same location and it happens all over again, cant move the craft - elevate to 45 metres and all is ok.

There IS one thing that may explain this issue - I was flying over water. So within this dense scrub area there happens to be a small area of water with a centre island. As I flew to the centre Island to capture footage, it was at the point of return from this island that the problem occurred, however I was still over the island not the water. There are trees on this island, they are approx 15 metres tall.

Can anyone explain this strange effect?

Yes - thinking about it I guess I was at some point, however after increasing altitude to 45 metres I was able to stick forward in the direction I couldn't at 35.
Reflection probably came from the water. When you raised the altitude, the reflection stopped messing with the sensors.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
Water reflections from a puddle can even mess with the landing sensors, so it’s safe to say a combination of sun, water reflections — and changing quickly between these environments can cause issues...

Did you have the obstacle avoidance/precision landing disabled? I believe I read that when flying over water or near reflective objects, the sensors should be disabled to prevent false readings.

Did you have the obstacle avoidance/precision landing disabled? I believe I read that when flying over water or near reflective objects, the sensors should be disabled to prevent false readings.

No, I didn't have avoidance detection disabled. That did however cross my mind after the event BUT at the time, seeing I had this $1400 device in the air that wasn't responding to any command movements, I panicked and tried as best I could with my current knowledge about the craft and eventually decided to increase altitude, it worked.

I'm guessing avoidance detection can be disabled 'in flight'?

No, I didn't have avoidance detection disabled. That did however cross my mind after the event BUT at the time, seeing I had this $1400 device in the air that wasn't responding to any command movements, I panicked and tried as best I could with my current knowledge about the craft and eventually decided to increase altitude, it worked.

If it happens again, just rotate some 45° in either direction. This should prevent the light messing with the sensors.

Yes, you can disable the obstacle avoidance in flight when using a phone or tablet. I have never tried it without a device attached to the RC.

reflections and flying in the general direction of the sun when it's low in the horizon really mess with the optical sensors on the EVO, I also remember reading about like issues with the DJIs but I don't think it's as bad. my EVO really get's annoying under those conditions.

Reactions: Evo1

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d