Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Pre gimbal calibration

Catweazle

Reaction score
I have a screw on filter on my gimbal. Being how sensitive the gimbal is, should the filter be removed before calibration ?.

If you need calibration, you shouldn't have any filter on the lens.

I have a screw on filter on my gimbal. Being how sensitive the gimbal is, should the filter be removed before calibration ?.
@Catweazle Leave the OEM UV filter on the camera when you calibrate. If you have ND's that are the same weight as the OEM (I use the Freewell set and they are the same weight) you can leave them on as well. You want to calibrate with the load/weight that you plan to fly with.

Reactions: Tufargon
I'm using a nondescript protector at present because my Freewell 4K pack restricts fitting the gimbal cover.
Autel Robotics folly is they under designed the cover. They never took into account pilots would be fitting filters, even though the camera was designed to fit filters.
My problem with AR is they know that pilots are cutting lumps from the cover. Plastic is cheap. The cover die would only require minimal mods. They could easily have a few thousand manufactured then notify pilots to email for a new one.
This is a no brainer for AR.
Now where did I put my hacksaw !!

I'm using a nondescript protector at present because my Freewell 4K pack restricts fitting the gimbal cover.
Autel Robotics folly is they under designed the cover. They never took into account pilots would be fitting filters, even though the camera was designed to fit filters.
My problem with AR is they know that pilots are cutting lumps from the cover. Plastic is cheap. The cover die would only require minimal mods. They could easily have a few thousand manufactured then notify pilots to email for a new one.
This is a no brainer for AR.
Now where did I put my hacksaw !!
@Catweazle That is odd. The set of 8 that I have are exactly the same as the OEM screw on UV filter. No problem leaving them on and putting on the cover.

Attachments

• P1010473.JPG
    P1010473.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 14
Hi JC. Pic below is what i,m using. I note that mine have adjustable rings on them. On the front view pic you can see the silhouette of the ND16. At that stage of fitting the cover, it becomes a resistance fit.

I suppose there is a little good in having to take the filters off after flying. It makes you check the light and select a suitable ND to match. I tend to forget some times.

Cover Fit 1.jpg
My ND Set.jpg
ND front .jpg

Hi JC. Pic below is what i,m using. I note that mine have adjustable rings on them. On the front view pic you can see the silhouette of the ND16. At that stage of fitting the cover, it becomes a resistance fit.

I suppose there is a little good in having to take the filters off after flying. It makes you check the light and select a suitable ND to match. I tend to forget some times.

Cover Fit 1.jpg
My ND Set.jpg
View attachment 6073
Hello @Catweazle apparently we are using different filters. I have some rotating CFL NDs in my pack as well. However they do not protrude at all and still fit the gimbal cover. Can you upload another pic of the single filter? I can't enlarge it. I'm interested to see the brand and build. I find they are a bit weird to use on a drone as they rotate from the vibration when flying so I stick with straight NDs or UV filters. I also shoot a few ground video rigs that the CFLs work well with since the cameras are usually stationary. Gotta love the EVO... great little drone.

Hello @Catweazle apparently we are using different filters. I have some rotating CFL NDs in my pack as well. However they do not protrude at all and still fit the gimbal cover. Can you upload another pic of the single filter? I can't enlarge it. I'm interested to see the brand and build. I find they are a bit weird to use on a drone as they rotate from the vibration when flying so I stick with straight NDs or UV filters. I also shoot a few ground video rigs that the CFLs work well with since the cameras are usually stationary. Gotta love the EVO... great little drone.
Hi JC,
My set comprises of 5 Freewell ( NDPL 8,16, 32,64,and a CPL filter) that are adjustable. These filters do not allow the gimbal cover to attach. the other three filters (ND4 ND8 and ND16) do not restrict the cover.

filters.jpg

Reactions: DanielC
Hi JC,
My set comprises of 5 Freewell ( NDPL 8,16, 32,64,and a CPL filter) that are adjustable. These filters do not allow the gimbal cover to attach. the other three filters (ND4 ND8 and ND16) do not restrict the cover.

View attachment 6082
Hi Cat.. Yes I can see yours have an outer band that is ribbed and extend further than the CPL's and CFL's I use. Like I said most of the time I use the straight ND's if I use them at all. It's always something...lol Probably best to remove the filters before putting on the gimbal cover and put the stock UV lens cover on just to protect the actual lens. All the best, Jim

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials