Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Orbit feature on the EVO is no better then the X-Star

Wow.................. it’s not something I’d ever used, but if you advertise it, it should work.......especially if it didn’t really work on the XSP.....

That looked like user error as much as anything. He started the orbit at the left edge of the frame. If he had started centered, it probably would have stayed centered.

Reactions: fundy
That looked like user error as much as anything. He started the orbit at the left edge of the frame. If he had started centered, it probably would have stayed centered.
I agree with you. I noticed the same thing.

If you have a XSP with a orbit that works fine then please provide a video I would love to see a smooth orbit from the XSP.
I’ll post it up, give me a bit to find it, but it’s not butter smooth. But it does an outstanding job of keeping the subject in frame.
I didn’t expect butter smooth at this price point. I think cinamatic expectations are asking waaay to much of this drone. I mean really, guys, let’s get real here.

If I want butter smooth I try to do it manually. No, I’m not the best operator in the world, and my manual orbits need A LOT of work, but they are getting better.

The reason I asked for a video is because a few of us spent a great deal of time trying different options to get that smooth video that is needed in commercial videos of houses for sale and such. I know of two who went to the dark side and bought refurb P4's that are butter smooth at a fraction of the price. Was just interested in seeing something that is not jerky from the X-Star as I have tried many times without success :(

Thanks for that
Yes that is about as good as we could do. You can see it speeds up and slows down to the point it just jerks around. In one of the beta's they had it perfect but in the final they screwed it up again. :(

Yes, I agree it's not perfect. What in this world is? I can pick apart most anything. I've been an aerospace inspector for 20 years, nothing is perfect in that world. I guess I don't have such high expectations from a high level toy. Not bashing the XPS, I absolutely love mine and will continue to fly the props off of it, but it doesn't "owe" me anything but fun.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
No nothing is perfect but when you are trying to make a buck or two from the camera platform you just spent a $1000 bucks on and your client tells you your orbits suck big time its time to move on to the dark side LOL trust me my friend on here did and his orbits are pretty much perfect now. Autel keeps missing the boat, the X-Star was a very good flying machine, just needed a few tweeks to keep it going. They went with the EVO, more problems out of the gate. Some have been solved and others have been removed from their web site. Ask them about mapping and they will tell you that was never on the table, I say bull as there are videos still floating around saying mapping is a option. Hard to trust this company, yes they make solid UAV's and the support is rated #1 but big deal if they cannot deliver what they have promised.

The Evo video was actually much smoother than the XSP video posted. The main problem is that he started offset in the frame and it kept him locked in that frame position. That makes sense, because you don't always want the object centered in the frame, and if you do just start there.
Of course, this is the same reviewer who got chased all over trying to do obstacle avoidance, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
He has a second orbit "test" video that seems to be better, but I really think it takes some practice as well. It would be great if everything worked perfectly the first go, but usually not the case. I totally understand, it should work as advertised. Wanted to try orbit myself but it rained most of the afternoon and didn't get a chance today. Would be nice if they implement the mapping features at some point though, I think I could use them.

No nothing is perfect but when you are trying to make a buck or two from the camera platform you just spent a $1000 bucks on and your client tells you your orbits suck big time its time to move on to the dark side LOL trust me my friend on here did and his orbits are pretty much perfect now. Autel keeps missing the boat, the X-Star was a very good flying machine, just needed a few tweeks to keep it going. They went with the EVO, more problems out of the gate. Some have been solved and others have been removed from their web site. Ask them about mapping and they will tell you that was never on the table, I say bull as there are videos still floating around saying mapping is a option. Hard to trust this company, yes they make solid UAV's and the support is rated #1 but big deal if they cannot deliver what they have promised.

Early adopters are, unfortunately, the guina pigs of today’s hi tech world. Not saying your friend is, but just sayin.

I had been looking at the XSP since it came out, did my research as best I could, and haunted this board before becoming a member. I knew before hand what I was getting into because I took my time. I didn’t need a new drone, I simply wanted one.

People seem to want everything NOW and then complain that it doesn’t work right when they get it. Well, when a manufacturer sees that customers are chomping at the bit, corners are cut to get the product on the shelfs NOW. Therein lies the problem.

Case in point: I work in the aerospace industry. We make large assemblies for Boeing. They scream, we go faster, but with compromise. Management pushes. Inspection (me) balks at the defects. Guess what? Product ships no matter what. Why? Because Boeing’s customers are screaming at them. Subsequently, I no longer fly. At all.

I’m sure that the evo will eventually shine, but it takes time, and that’s something people don’t seem to want to give.

I do agree with the mapping issue, they did advertise it having the capability to do so. I remember the video you are talking about. But they didn’t deliver.

I do believe it is their right to pull advertised features off the table, but the way they handled it was chicken s**t.

Remember, Autel Robotics may be based in the US, but they are owned by Autel Intelligent Technology in China. Designed in China. Made in China. The face we see and deal with is on the US side, a buffer if you will, and the US side has no control over what goes on, what’s implemented, what’s been deleted.
They answer to China, the same folks who are counterfitting all the good stuff. I’m sure the US side would be more than happy to make us happy and repeat customers, but China has the final say so. Too bad we (US) can’t compete with them.

Sorry about the rant. It’s just that folks need to realize big companies don’t give a hoot about the current customer, just about getting the NEXT customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRJ_North East_CT
Early adopters are, unfortunately, the guina pigs of today’s hi tech world. Not saying your friend is, but just sayin.

I had been looking at the XSP since it came out, did my research as best I could, and haunted this board before becoming a member. I knew before hand what I was getting into because I took my time. I didn’t need a new drone, I simply wanted one.

People seem to want everything NOW and then complain that it doesn’t work right when they get it. Well, when a manufacturer sees that customers are chomping at the bit, corners are cut to get the product on the shelfs NOW. Therein lies the problem.

Case in point: I work in the aerospace industry. We make large assemblies for Boeing. They scream, we go faster, but with compromise. Management pushes. Inspection (me) balks at the defects. Guess what? Product ships no matter what. Why? Because Boeing’s customers are screaming at them. Subsequently, I no longer fly. At all.

I’m sure that the evo will eventually shine, but it takes time, and that’s something people don’t seem to want to give.

I do agree with the mapping issue, they did advertise it having the capability to do so. I remember the video you are talking about. But they didn’t deliver.

I do believe it is their right to pull advertised features off the table, but the way they handled it was chicken s**t.

Remember, Autel Robotics may be based in the US, but they are owned by Autel Intelligent Technology in China. Designed in China. Made in China. The face we see and deal with is on the US side, a buffer if you will, and the US side has no control over what goes on, what’s implemented, what’s been deleted.
They answer to China, the same folks who are counterfitting all the good stuff. I’m sure the US side would be more than happy to make us happy and repeat customers, but China has the final say so. Too bad we (US) can’t compete with them.

Sorry about the rant. It’s just that folks need to realize big companies don’t give a hoot about the current customer, just about getting the NEXT customer.
My point exactly. My daddy told me"Don't believe all that sales crap son there just trying to get your money!'

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d