Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

One more of Miami

Great shot. What is your preferred way to shoot stills?

A. Shoot video and grab a still from the video later? (Ex. Take a snapshot using VLC)
B. Take shots using camera mode... JPG?
C. Take shots using camera mode... RAW?

Finally, do you favor Standard or Log profile?

Just curious, nicely done, thanks.

Thanks usually I start running the video before take off so i can get some action video of the take off and some good flying action.. All the while I'm running the video. I have the camera set to take a picture every 7 seconds. So it never stops running the video and somehow takes still shots as well at the same time. Those turn out OK sometimes especially for the day but they are blurry at times at night. But i do this so that in case I get all caught up in flying it's always taking pics and videos. Now when i see a shot i really want to take i stop the video. And don't move the drone and keep it as still as i can.. especially at night and then i take a few snap shots which for some reason has a different aperture and shutter settings than the video. And they usually come out pretty great. Even at night.. I have it set to take the raw and jpeg photos at the same time. But I rarely use the raw as the jpegs come out so much nicer for what I need. Then I go home and delete about 60 percent of the shoot cause I'm hate them lol. I'm crazy like that. But I always end up with some amazing shots. I play around alot with the camera and write down the settings that seam to work for me. I'm a total amature and I'm so envious of so many peoples work. But I like that. It gives me drive to want to learn more and do more. Lol. Probably way more information than you ever wanted lol. Thanks for the nice words

Attachments

• miami beach at night looking downtown finished5 copy.jpeg
    miami beach at night looking downtown finished5 copy.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 10
  • miami beach at night looking downtown finished10 copy.jpeg
    miami beach at night looking downtown finished10 copy.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 10
Very well done, truly! Great way to take advantage of the features Autel offers with the automatic PIV. To your point, yes, the pictures taken using PIV are basically screen shots derived directly from the video you're shooting and thus all your exposure settings carry over to the still picture which is (only) a jpg.

However, when you are not actively shooting video, and you pull the trigger on a still shot, it will jump over to the photography side of the Autel App which indeed is a completely separate setup. In that case, you will also need to decide upon and adjust your exposure settings to your liking, again, separately from the video settings. It's nice to have two separate menus and settings for each of the two camera setups, but it does require some preplanning.

With respect to their RAW (DNG) images, no doubt they require some extra effort and attention, but many serious photographers find it more than worth it. I am hardly a pro photographer, but do enjoy pushing the envelope and I've had very good results shooting DNG files. Raw images retain much more data and thus are higher quality images with greater color space and bit depth which gives you more latitude to adjust them in post processing before introducing artifacts and corrupting the image.

Adobe Lightroom is fantastic in handling DNG files. When looking at a DNG file in a standard viewer, such as Faststone, it looks awful. But Lightroom applies corrections to the image the moment you drop it into the software including lens correction, which apparently the DNG files coming out of this drone have a built in profile which Lightroom reads and applies.

Again, I'm not a pro, there are people on this forum WAY more advanced in their understanding of imagery, and it's entirely possible someone will follow this up and either correct me, or add to my thoughts. Either way you slice it, you're shots are looking great and most importantly, it appears you're having fun and that's always the bottom line. Bravo!

Dude. Thanks so much for the info. I really think you hit the nail on the head with your Lightroom comment. I dont use lightroom or photoshop. I find them both extremely more product than I need and there's such a learning curve. I dont know about all that. I've kind of been just using Luminar and its been ok so far. I'm sure PS/LR would make my pictures look amazing and I think maybe when you said light room has software that tackles the DNG files right away. I think that is where my problem was. When I would open up the DNG file. It looked horrible and i was unable to work with it at all. It almost looked like the exposure was extremely high and the pictures were. Extremely white almost totally washed out. Probably luminar even though it says it works with RAW images maybe it doesn't handle them the rightway from the start like they should be. I could also, and this is probably more the problem, I could also just not be using the software like it was designed to be used. Everything about editing my photos that I've learned I've learned on my own. So. It could be very easy that I'm just not doing it right. But yea thanks for the tips, I will definitely think about PS or LR I just dont know if I edit enough to warrant the cost.

With me the drone has been so much fun. Its almost been 50/50.
I absolutely love flying it and have fun learning new tricks and moves. But I also love the camera aspect of it, and how great the camera is, and the funs things you can do with the pictures. That's why I set up the automatic video camera/ photos thing, cause I can't tell you how many times I go out flying and have so much fun I totally forgot to push record lol.
Anyway, thanks again for the tips I appreciate them.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga