Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Older Drones and RID (DJI is doing it, why not Autel)

Eagle928

Reaction score
So DJI is coming up with a firmware update that will make their older drones RID compliant.

Why isn't Autel doing this or are they?

I'll believe DJI when I see it. The presentation indicates the updates are "postposed" which makes it sounds like they had every intention of doing it but have experienced a delay. Frankly I thought they said the updates were not going to happen at all...so there's that. We'll see. If Autel could follow up with V1 and Nano, I think they are mostly covered. Or, maybe Autel intends to provide a free module to Evo owners but I can see them determining Nano doesn't need it so you are on your own.

Reactions: Eagle928
I'll believe DJI when I see it. The presentation indicates the updates are "postposed" which makes it sounds like they had every intention of doing it but have experienced a delay. Frankly I thought they said the updates were not going to happen at all...so there's that. We'll see. If Autel could follow up with V1 and Nano, I think they are mostly covered. Or, maybe Autel intends to provide a free module to Evo owners but I can see them determining Nano doesn't need it so you are on your own.
You could very well be right. Although I have used a Nano+ for commercial work.

There are many possible reasons that Autel isn't doing it. "Just do a firmware update" assumes the existing hardware is capable of doing it, and assumes the existing hardware can firmware upgraded through the onboard computer, and assumes they have the developer manpower to write said firmware, and assumes they have the manpower to test it against all existing hardware and software, and assumes they have developer manpower to update the user software, and shall I go on?

Everyone saying "why not just do a firmware update" has never written or been involved in the development of firmware. That's not meant to be an insult, it's just a statement of fact. I have been involved in firmware development quite heavily in the past (ArduPilot and also 3DR Solo post open source) so I speak from experience. It is not as simple as the end users here seem to think it should be. And it is quite likely not even physically possible for numerous reasons.

An no matter what anyone says here, Autel has made it very clear repeatedly that they are not doing it. They have not explained the reason. They're not going to explain the reason, and they have no obligation to explain the reason. It would be great for us if they could do it, but they're not. The end.

Reactions: ethelsnakes
There are many possible reasons that Autel isn't doing it. "Just do a firmware update" assumes the existing hardware is capable of doing it, and assumes the existing hardware can firmware upgraded through the onboard computer, and assumes they have the developer manpower to write said firmware, and assumes they have the manpower to test it against all existing hardware and software, and assumes they have developer manpower to update the user software, and shall I go on?

Everyone saying "why not just do a firmware update" has never written or been involved in the development of firmware. That's not meant to be an insult, it's just a statement of fact. I have been involved in firmware development quite heavily in the past (ArduPilot and also 3DR Solo post open source) so I speak from experience. It is not as simple as the end users here seem to think it should be. And it is quite likely not even physically possible for numerous reasons.

An no matter what anyone says here, Autel has made it very clear repeatedly that they are not doing it. They have not explained the reason. They're not going to explain the reason, and they have no obligation to explain the reason. It would be great for us if they could do it, but they're not. The end.
Uh huh. DJi said the same thing about their older drones and now they are writing the firmware update to do it.

If DJI can do it, so can Autel. Now if they don't want to apply their vast resources into doing it, that's on Autel.

You do know Autel is huge right? Autel Robotics is a sub company to the the mother company.

Maybe Autel is just waiting for DJI to do it so they can copy what they need to instead of writing it themselves.

Not the end.

Reactions: markeydoo
Uh huh. DJi said the same thing about their older drones and now they are writing the firmware update to do it.
Get back to us when DJI actually provides firmware updates for all their drones dating back to 2020.

If DJI can do it, so can Autel.
You're making an assumption based on no actual facts or knowledge on the hardware involved. And again, get back to us when DJI actually does FW update to provide RID on all their drones dating back to 2020.
You do know Autel is huge right? Autel Robotics is a sub company to the the mother company.
And?
Not the end.
Why? Because a guy on a forum said they should do it so now they will? They've made it very clear multiple times that they're not doing it. The end has come and gone on this matter unless you've taken over in some management capacity at Autel. What you're doing is called wishful thinking.

Get back to us when DJI actually provides firmware updates for all their drones dating back to 2020.

You're making an assumption based on no actual facts or knowledge on the hardware involved. And again, get back to us when DJI actually does FW update to provide RID on all their drones dating back to 2020.

And?

Why? Because a guy on a forum said they should do it so now they will? They've made it very clear multiple times that they're not doing it. The end has come and gone on this matter unless you've taken over in some management capacity at Autel. What you're doing is called wishful thinking.
Your nasty disposition isn't helping either.

Reactions: markeydoo
Your nasty disposition isn't helping either.
My statement of facts that you don't like is neither helping nor hurting Autel's decision that they already made a long time ago. You have unrealistic expectations and I'm trying help people understand why their expectations are unrealistic in actual reality.

You are dreaming. Autel Robotics is not a division of Autel. It is a completely separate company, and the pet project of the owner of Autel's son, who runs a lean, mean machine, and does whatever he wants. Autel Robotics has less than 10 engineers, while DJI has 10,000, according to Randall, who is the former CEO of Autel Robotics, before the son took over.

Alright gang.... let's cool out jets and remember that the Community Rules state:

and above all - be nice

2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

14. We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate discourtesy or disrespect.

So BE NICE or refrain from posting at all.

Sincerely,
Allen

Reactions: redleger

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan