Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

It might give you that choice, Ididnt think about it but it might work with any type of maps app you install.
I didn't find any way on the Android version of the Explorer app.

OpenStreetMap is more of... well, a map, rather than an app. There are scads of apps that use it for navigation, but the map itself doesn't have any way of being "installed." It's just downloaded into a directory where the app can find it.

I suppose an app could be crafted specifically for the SC to point it to use OSM, but I don't really have the time (nor an SC) to do it right now.

Reactions: JTech777
I didn't find any way on the Android version of the Explorer app.

OpenStreetMap is more of... well, a map, rather than an app. There are scads of apps that use it for navigation, but the map itself doesn't have any way of being "installed." It's just downloaded into a directory where the app can find it.

I suppose an app could be crafted specifically for the SC to point it to use OSM, but I don't really have the time (nor an SC) to do it right now.
Let me see what I can find out. Ill let you know what I get. If you have any other idea though feel free to send them this way.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Let me see what I can find out. Ill let you know what I get. If you have any other idea though feel free to send them this way.
I'd think Autel would prefer OSM, actually, even if only because its open-source and devoid of any legal restrictions, copyrights, DHS concerns, etc. But what do I know.

Reactions: JTech777
Pardon my ignorance, are these "maps" what is used for drone location when not connected to a web connection? Or, only during mission type flights?

I ask because when I flew with the SC, I had maps as the inset window while flying.

That being said, what would really be a great feature for me would be to have the maps remember the last zoom or scale setting. Seems mine opens with the inset map scale set too far away to be useful and I need to swap views and zoom in.

Pardon my ignorance, are these "maps" what is used for drone location when not connected to a web connection? Or, only during mission type flights?

I ask because when I flew with the SC, I had maps as the inset window while flying.

That being said, what would really be a great feature for me would be to have the maps remember the last zoom or scale setting. Seems mine opens with the inset map scale set too far away to be useful and I need to swap views and zoom in.
Hello Matt

I’m not by any means an expert with Autel Evo 2, actually struggle with understanding it’s settings and with the previous controller scare to death to update. However, With the SC I’m turning on my personal hotspot to my phone and connecting the SC to my phones personal hotspot. This allows the maps on my SC to work properly, an extra step but it’s well worth it to view mapping during flight. Or, to review history flight paths I’ll connect the SC to my personal hotspot.

Just added: Heres a history pic from yesterdays flight, with hotspot turned off SC not connected to my phone. Appears once the map is loaded during flight, SC retains the mapping history. If you fly a certain area often, eventually the SC will probably not need hotspot connected as I’m seeing here this morning viewing the SC history.

Until I learn of an easier method, I’ll continue to use my phones personal hotspot.

Paul57D837F4-131D-4233-8998-AB69B64D4715.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Matt

I’m not by any means an expert with Autel Evo 2, actually struggle with understanding it’s settings and with the previous controller scare to death to update. However, With the SC I’m turning on my personal hotspot to my phone and connecting the SC to my phones personal hotspot. This allows the maps on my SC to work properly, an extra step but it’s well worth it to view mapping during flight. Or, to review history flight paths I’ll connect the SC to my personal hotspot.

Just added: Heres a history pic from yesterdays flight, with hotspot turned off SC not connected to my phone. Appears once the map is loaded during flight, SC retains the mapping history. If you fly a certain area often, eventually the SC will probably not need hotspot connected as I’m seeing here this morning viewing the SC history.

Until I learn of an easier method, I’ll continue to use my phones personal hotspot.

PaulView attachment 10830
Thank you...I do the same tethering with my phone...

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Hello Matt

PaulView attachment 10830
If I wind up getting an SC, I suspect I'll be doing the same thing. A SIM slot would have been a nice feature, but I suspect it would have dramatically increased the price and the regulatory headaches.

All resellers had a Zoom call with Randall (CEO) yesterday morning. The conversation was framed that the chip switch is a necessary growing pain for Autel.

Here are some key takeaways about the chip switch;
  • SC V1 will start shipping to resellers within a week. 500 were allocated for the US market, "double digit" allocation for international resellers.
  • The chips come in pairs, one in the drone and one in the controller. Therefore V1 and V2 products are not compatible.
  • New V2 chip will allow NDAA compliance.
  • In terms of repairs and warranties, V1 customers will be taken care of. Autel has extra stock of V1 chips to keep V1 products working for a long time. If Autel can't repair your product, because of a lack of parts, Autel will go as far as offer V2 products to replace V1 products.
  • A V2 streaming product is coming out to replace the LiveDeck.
  • The EVO II V2 will be the exact same drone as the V1. The only difference is the chip and that the V2 will be clearly marked on the exterior with "V2."
Randall then spoke about the future of Autel. If half of what he says comes to fruition it will be a game changer for the industry and Autel users.
  • EVO II isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's a solid platform with a long roadmap.
  • Autel is quickly moving towards NDAA compliance (Made in the USA). Not clear if it's all future products or just "enterprise."
  • Autel is not leaving behind it's consumer users. They understand the importance of creating and maintaining products for customers other than enterprise users.
  • New payloads are coming.
  • New platforms are on the horizon. No real specifics other than that he recognized there are only two platform options right now; small (EVO 2) and big (Dragonfish).

Randall is a great speaker with big aspirations and a lot of positive drive. For the first time it feels like we have a CEO/manufacturer who actually listens and is excited to give customers and resellers what they want. We are happy he's at the helm and are excited for the future of Autel for both Empire Drone and our customers.
FYI we made a video from the post above to help explain what’s happening with the V2 switch;

we made a video from the post above to help explain what’s happening with the V2 switch;
Thanks for the video. Would you be able to clarify the following?

So do the 500 allocated to the US Market cover all pre orders taken by all the resellers for our EVO II v1's?

If not, did Randall reiterate he would take care of the consumers with Evo II V1's wanting and having ordered the SC as...:
  1. Many ordered their EVO II's because of the imminent release of the SC
  2. Then upon receipt of the drone bundle, ordered the SC and lots more.
So what should we expect?

Thanks for the video. Would you be able to clarify the following?

So do the 500 allocated to the US Market cover all pre orders taken by all the resellers for our EVO II v1's?

If not, did Randall reiterate he would take care of the consumers with Evo II V1's wanting and having ordered the SC as...:
  1. Many ordered their EVO II's because of the imminent release of the SC
  2. Then upon receipt of the drone bundle, ordered the SC and lots more.
So what should we expect?
I'm about this close

->| |<-

to canceling the order.

When I woke up this morning, the first thing to come to mind was, "You must be an idiot to spend $1,200.00 on a device that has exactly one job, which you're currently accomplishing without it, and that will never be useful for anything else." At first I attributed it to caffeine deprivation; but three cups of coffee later, it was still there.

So I spent a good part of the day researching phone and tablet options (especially TRIPLTEK), as well as the various high-gain antennas out there. Several times I almost pulled the trigger on them, as well as a spare controller. I prefer not modifying electronic devices unless I have a spare; and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a V1 spare in any case.

What stopped me was the holiday weekend. Since nothing I ordered would be shipped by Tuesday at the earliest, I figured I may as well wait.

Some specificity from Randall about what being "taken care of" means would help quite a bit. Does he mean a 10 percent discount? Because my response to that would come in the form of an anatomically-impossible suggestion. Or does he mean something more substantial?

In the absence of specificity, I find myself feeling like the character of Che in Evita singing "Oh, what a circus, oh what a show..." There's so much faith being placed in the words of a man who's said nothing.

I must confess, I find it quite puzzling.

I'm about this close

->| |<-

to canceling the order.

When I woke up this morning, the first thing to come to mind was, "You must be an idiot to spend $1,200.00 on a device that has exactly one job, which you're currently accomplishing without it, and that will never be useful for anything else." At first I attributed it to caffeine deprivation; but three cups of coffee later, it was still there.

So I spent a good part of the day researching phone and tablet options (especially TRIPLTEK), as well as the various high-gain antennas out there. Several times I almost pulled the trigger on them, as well as a spare controller. I prefer not modifying electronic devices unless I have a spare; and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a V1 spare in any case.

What stopped me was the holiday weekend. Since nothing I ordered would be shipped by Tuesday at the earliest, I figured I may as well wait.

Some specificity from Randall about what being "taken care of" means would help quite a bit. Does he mean a 10 percent discount? Because my response to that would come in the form of an anatomically-impossible suggestion. Or does he mean something more substantial?

In the absence of specificity, I find myself feeling like the character of Che in Evita singing "Oh, what a circus, oh what a show..." There's so much faith being placed in the words of a man who's said nothing.

I must confess, I find it quite puzzling.
Your feelings are understandable and mostly shared. It would be nice to know how well taken care of we'd be having spent significant $ for a bundle, batteries & filters (my case) and the SC.

I feel keeping an option open with the right to return is equivalent to a free option. Keep the order open and you retain the right to (1) exercise it and (a) keep it or (b0 return it. Cancel the order and (2) No v1 smart controller for the current Evo II v1 for us, (2) possible means of upgrading/swapping for a v2 as a path forward or (3) Mavic Pro 3 with whatever smart controller upgrade DJI will certainly produce.

I'm leaning towards keeping my options open, but feel any choice is justifiable.

Your feelings are understandable and mostly shared. It would be nice to know how well taken care of we'd be having spent significant $ for a bundle, batteries & filters (my case) and the SC.

I feel keeping an option open with the right to return is equivalent to a free option. Keep the order open and you retain the right to (1) exercise it and (a) keep it or (b0 return it. Cancel the order and (2) No v1 smart controller for the current Evo II v1 for us, (2) possible means of upgrading/swapping for a v2 as a path forward or (3) Mavic Pro 3 with whatever smart controller upgrade DJI will certainly produce.

I'm leaning towards keeping my options open, but feel any choice is justifiable.
The other factor that weighed in my decision to postpone canceling is that by the time I buy a TRIPLTEK, the mount, lanyard, high-gain antenna, and extra remote, to achieve approximately the same functionality as the SC (including the redundant controller), the cost is about the same.

The functionality advantage would actually lean slightly toward the TRIPLTEK because it does have other possible uses and has at least some time left before obsolescence, especially if the manufacturer upgrades the OS as they have promised. But it would also be more cumbersome and increase setup time at each job. Only by a few minutes, but they do add up.

My hunch is still that the simplest and least-expensive way that Autel could make everyone whole would be by replacing whatever circuitry is necessary to retrofit V1's into V2's, especially in cases in which the drone was purchased based on the company's published promise of the SC. That's how virtually all electronic device "repairs" are done anyway nowadays: They just replace the entire innards.

FCC (and potentially FAA) might frown on that, however, especially as a DIY retrofit. There's very little you can change about an FCC-certified device before it has to undergo recertification; and even then, they usually insist that it be done by the manufacturer or an approved service center.

• Love
Reactions: ehill and mshmovie
couple of points that have been brought up so this is me speaking, just my opinion.

first, faa and fcc has nothing to do with any of this. they don't have a voice.

second, so may people love their evo 1s, I don't understand why nobody loves the evo2. why isn't anyone talking about keeping their evo2 for 3+ years. all I read is about is how soon can i get rid of it. if you want to get rid of it so bad, what's the point of getting a evo2 v2? I really really hope the autel deal involves the autel 3 because I have no plans to entertain a v2 unless my v1 drone crashes or breaks.

I don't know anything on the deal but I do know this: if you had a choice either to get the sc now and consider the future (yet unknown) autel deal to be "taken care of" later and you pass on it...what kind of drone life are you leading? where is the risk taking us drone pilots are known for? you fly your drone high and far away and out of sight and take beautiful pictures and you hit that button and magically trust it to return home every time but you can't trust autel to make it right? you're not going to get a smoking hot deal but it's going to be something pretty nice, I'm sure. we bought their smart controller, not a car charger or a charging hub....it's gotta count for something. why would you "exclude" yourself? if there are only 500 of us, that's even better because they maybe only need to take care of a couple of hundred folks. I understand if this is your job, your business, or you depend on this equipment you're in public safety. but us recreational pilots, we live for these drones, why would we stand on the sidelines and miss out while everyone is making choices. I'm going to enjoy the offer no matter what it is and I'm here to help autel because I believe in the autel and quite frankly they put out a pretty decent product.

the tripltek is good, not doubt. but it doesn't fly your drone so you start to pickup on that real fast once you get past the big bright screen, the full blown android, and it's tank-like features. I honestly don't think a tripltek rig compares to the sc. for me, the triptek is good for when you have a tiny, dim screen on your rc and you've had enough.

if the evo2 is anything like evo1, sounds like we will get at least 3 years of support....maybe more. honestly I think the drone world looks a lot different by then, I'm just thankful we have options and choices....and we can still mostly fly however we wish without too much faa in our business. happy flying and enjoy the 4th!

couple of points that have been brought up so this is me speaking, just my opinion.

first, faa and fcc has nothing to do with any of this. they don't have a voice.

second, so may people love their evo 1s, I don't understand why nobody loves the evo2. why isn't anyone talking about keeping their evo2 for 3+ years. all I read is about is how soon can i get rid of it. if you want to get rid of it so bad, what's the point of getting a evo2 v2? I really really hope the autel deal involves the autel 3 because I have no plans to entertain a v2 unless my v1 drone crashes or breaks.

I don't know anything on the deal but I do know this: if you had a choice either to get the sc now and consider the future (yet unknown) autel deal to be "taken care of" later and you pass on it...what kind of drone life are you leading? where is the risk taking us drone pilots are known for? you fly your drone high and far away and out of sight and take beautiful pictures and you hit that button and magically trust it to return home every time but you can't trust autel to make it right? you're not going to get a smoking hot deal but it's going to be something pretty nice, I'm sure. we bought their smart controller, not a car charger or a charging hub....it's gotta count for something. why would you "exclude" yourself? if there are only 500 of us, that's even better because they maybe only need to take care of a couple of hundred folks. I understand if this is your job, your business, or you depend on this equipment you're in public safety. but us recreational pilots, we live for these drones, why would we stand on the sidelines and miss out while everyone is making choices. I'm going to enjoy the offer no matter what it is and I'm here to help autel because I believe in the autel and quite frankly they put out a pretty decent product.

the tripltek is good, not doubt. but it doesn't fly your drone so you start to pickup on that real fast once you get past the big bright screen, the full blown android, and it's tank-like features. I honestly don't think a tripltek rig compares to the sc. for me, the triptek is good for when you have a tiny, dim screen on your rc and you've had enough.

if the evo2 is anything like evo1, sounds like we will get at least 3 years of support....maybe more. honestly I think the drone world looks a lot different by then, I'm just thankful we have options and choices....and we can still mostly fly however we wish without too much faa in our business. happy flying and enjoy the 4th!
I don't think anyone hates the EVO II. I know I don't.

I do know that electronics companies get away with support cycles that would not be tolerated in any other industry that I'm aware of. I can find parts for cars, boats, airplanes, appliances, lawnmowers, snowblowers, even coffee makers that were made 20 or 30 years ago. But electronics manufacturers think they're doing you a favor with three years of support.

There are many, many otherwise-functional drones, phones, and other electronic devices sitting on shelves or illegally polluting landfills solely because their manufacturers withdrew some part of another (usually a battery). They are still perfectly capable of doing whatever they were designed to do, but were intentionally killed off by their manufacturers.

Anticipating having to replace a drone or other electronic device, therefore, is based on that reality, not a like or dislike of the device. The manufacturers force us to replace them while they're still perfectly-capable of being functional. It's not a choice that we make. It's a choice that they make.

The SC was marketed with the explicit promise that it would be an exception. It would be compatible with future drones, Autel promised, which said language still hasn't been removed from the Web site. That language creates an inducement to buy because even if the consumer accepts that the drone will be artificially obsolesced in a few years, at least they can keep using the controller.

Except that they can't. V1 won't work with any future model, and V2 doesn't exist.

You also have to consider the possibility of malfunctions or accidental damage. With the two versions not being compatible, that means that if either the drone or the controller dies, you have to replace both. Drones live dangerous lives. So if I buy the SC, and crash the drone six months down the line, I have an expensive paperweight (unless a retrofit is made available).

Having two versions of the same drone also complicates redundancy for professional users who need to have spares, or who have multiple crews working. I don't do this for a living, but I do intend to start doing paid work when I'm satisfied with my own abilities.

My plan was to purchase another EVO II to have redundancy once it becomes part of my livelihood. But now that would mean either purchasing another SC as well (which doesn't even exist at this point), or buying another V1 drone now.

But I'm hesitant to do that. The questions of whether I'll even get an SC, as well as what will happen if the drone or SC malfunction or are accidentally damaged, are more up in the air than the drone itself at this point. I'd be spending money to buy another of something I already have based on something I'm not sure I'll even get.

By the way, FCC tears down and tests every device that seeks certification; and in this case, the chip being changed is the part FCC cares most dearly about. They could give a rat's posterior about a new propeller design, but they certainly care about a chip that's part of a transceiver. They could rubber-stamp it, but they don't have to.

There are ways to make all of this right. Some are better than others. But Randall's not saying anything except that he intends to "take care of" V1 customers. That's like me saying I intend to work on my fastball so I can pitch for the Yankees next spring. Maybe I truly, sincerely, desperately want to pitch for the Yankees and fully intend for that to happen.

But don't hold your breath.

As I've said enough times that I'm getting tired of reading my own words, we need specifics. Vague assurances are meaningless. Tell us exactly how we're going to be "taken care of." Provide specifics, as well as a commitment from Shenzhen to honor them.

Until then, I'm hesitant to spend more than I paid for some cars I've owned for something that will become a very-expensive paperweight should I happen to annoy the wrong bird or get blown into a tree. I may still buy it because it solves a present problem, but it's not a slam-dunk decision for me.

Last edited:
Seems to me you just cant decide what you want. However im thinking it probably doesn’t matter as it seems that for those that dont already have the purchase squared away, its probably to late. But as you’re on the fence, you wont loose out if you get it or not.

but as stated earlier, the money some of us spend on these drones is just part of this “drone thing” we love and hate. As for 3 years, that seems pretty good for me. I never flew my inspire for more than 3 years, never used the crystal sky or then the dji smart controller for more than a couple of years. Ive had the tripletek for 6 months and resigned to replace it now with the better smart controller. If im still using this smart controller and not the next best thing in 3 years ill be amazed.
I dont have to upgrade and change systems regularly, and no one is forcing me to, but i do and im happy with my choices

Seems to me you just cant decide what you want. However im thinking it probably doesn’t matter as it seems that for those that dont already have the purchase squared away, its probably to late. But as you’re on the fence, you wont loose out if you get it or not.

but as stated earlier, the money some of us spend on these drones is just part of this “drone thing” we love and hate. As for 3 years, that seems pretty good for me. I never flew my inspire for more than 3 years, never used the crystal sky or then the dji smart controller for more than a couple of years. Ive had the tripletek for 6 months and resigned to replace it now with the better smart controller. If im still using this smart controller and not the next best thing in 3 years ill be amazed.
I dont have to upgrade and change systems regularly, and no one is forcing me to, but i do and im happy with my choices
You're right that I'm on the fence, and you're right that I won't be especially upset at this point if I don't get one. But I do have one on pre-order. My dilemma at this point is whether to cancel. That also may be a moot point because not even the vendor knows whether or when they're going to receive the SC, nor how many they will receive if they receive any at all.

You're also right that the money isn't all that much for a hobby. Lord knows I've spent more money on aviation as a hobby. That's also true of other things I do for fun. The enjoyment is the payoff. The difference is that this whole "drone thing" for me was intended as a business, not as another expensive hobby. So every purchase is considered in the light of how it will increase productivity.

Between the drone, the extra batteries, the multi-charger, the case, the ticket, and the miscellaneous expenses, I'm about $5K into this, which really isn't bad because I could justify each expense as being either unavoidable, or enhancing productivity enough to eventually pay for itself.

That was also the case when I ordered the SC, but that conclusion was based based on the original published specs -- particularly the ability to be used with additional drones. Now that we know that's not true, I'm not so sure. I'm even less sure that it will increase productivity more than the TRIPLTEK, nor even an iPhone Pro Max, will, because either of those options have other functionality, and neither will already be EOL out of the box.

Back in the 1980's, I was promoted to a management-level job. One of the first things I had to do was order a highly-customized truck that cost about a quarter-million dollars. That cleared corporate with a rubber stamp approval.

But then I submitted an order for an extension ladder that cost about a hundred bucks, and the controller called me and grilled me over the phone for half an hour. I had to prove that the ladder would somehow pay for itself. The same guy who rubber-stamped a quarter-million dollar truck was raking me over the coals over a hundred-dollar ladder.

I thought he was nuts at the time. But it didn't take long for me to realize that he was just smarter than I was. In business, every purchase, no matter how trivial it seems, has to be considered in light of return on investment.

Reactions: YuKay and PingSpike
No one asked for my thoughts....

I placed a pre-order in April. Mine came Friday a week ago. Then, I had all the issues with the software. As I await mine coming back from repair or replacement....I've run the gamut of thoughts...

...get an iPad Mini. Consider a Tripltek. Stick with my iPhone 6 Plus. Keep the SC. So....how am I leaning? Keep the SC.

My plan was to use my Evo2 in my video business. I also like to simply play with the Evo2. (And the Mini that I still have) Not having to set up the cables, adapters, etc is a huge plus for me. As is the bigger, brighter screen.

My biggest concern was Android...I'm more familiar with iOS. While being forward compatible would've been nice, that's wasn't a concern when I pre-ordered. Using third party apps is important to me.

My Mini actually was easy to adapt a tablet with a simple piece that goes where your phone would and holds the tablet. If Autel's standard remote would allow an adapter like that..perhaps the SC wouldn't be so interesting to me. I know many are thrilled with the Lifthor and similar adapters...but I'm not sold on them, personally.

The other factor that weighed in my decision to postpone canceling is that by the time I buy a TRIPLTEK, the mount, lanyard, high-gain antenna, and extra remote, to achieve approximately the same functionality as the SC (including the redundant controller), the cost is about the same.

The functionality advantage would actually lean slightly toward the TRIPLTEK because it does have other possible uses and has at least some time left before obsolescence, especially if the manufacturer upgrades the OS as they have promised. But it would also be more cumbersome and increase setup time at each job. Only by a few minutes, but they do add up.

My hunch is still that the simplest and least-expensive way that Autel could make everyone whole would be by replacing whatever circuitry is necessary to retrofit V1's into V2's, especially in cases in which the drone was purchased based on the company's published promise of the SC. That's how virtually all electronic device "repairs" are done anyway nowadays: They just replace the entire innards.

FCC (and potentially FAA) might frown on that, however, especially as a DIY retrofit. There's very little you can change about an FCC-certified device before it has to undergo recertification; and even then, they usually insist that it be done by the manufacturer or an approved service center.
Excellent points Richard. The reason I have a DJI smart controller was the hassle it was setting up my standard controllers with my 4G enabled iPad Mini or iPad Air 2. Between the mount, cable, and lanyard making for a slow to set up and oddly balanced setup (especially if I opted to add a shade as well). For me it was about convenience and with regards to the Autel Smart Controller, the added range too. - Marc

No one asked for my thoughts....

I placed a pre-order in April. Mine came Friday a week ago. Then, I had all the issues with the software. As I await mine coming back from repair or replacement....I've run the gamut of thoughts...

...get an iPad Mini. Consider a Tripltek. Stick with my iPhone 6 Plus. Keep the SC. So....how am I leaning? Keep the SC.

My plan was to use my Evo2 in my video business. I also like to simply play with the Evo2. (And the Mini that I still have) Not having to set up the cables, adapters, etc is a huge plus for me. As is the bigger, brighter screen.

My biggest concern was Android...I'm more familiar with iOS. While being forward compatible would've been nice, that's wasn't a concern when I pre-ordered. Using third party apps is important to me.

My Mini actually was easy to adapt a tablet with a simple piece that goes where your phone would and holds the tablet. If Autel's standard remote would allow an adapter like that..perhaps the SC wouldn't be so interesting to me. I know many are thrilled with the Lifthor and similar adapters...but I'm not sold on them, personally.
there was no real reason to send it off to autel. what they are simply going to do is go into bootload or recovery mode and reflash the SC. ive been able to get into bootloader. what Autel needs to do is release information on how to reflash SC.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm