Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

.. in my opinion there would be a solution that would allow Autel not to lose credibility and get out of the corner, provide the new controller combined with a new naked version aircraft, without all easily removable parts, without batteries, without camera , without propellers, at a very affordable promotional price. It would be bought only by the owners of the previous version, it would not be convenient for new buyers ... with this initiative they would save face and would not lose the market, on the contrary they would increase it ...
agreed; this is what I would want them to do if they did not release a v1 sc. I would probably pay up to $500 for a "new naked version" aircraft but I believe if you have autel care, they should swap it under the conditions.

Reactions: mshmovie
If Autel had called the V2 the Evo3....how many would be bitching that it wasn't enough of an upgrade?

Since the V2 news dropped the Empire Drone team, to avoid causing more confusion, made the decision to remain silent and not join the fray. Since the dust has, somewhat, settled we think it's best to lay-out what dealers know. Especially now that folks are calling "conspiracy" between dealers and Autel.

Here are the order of events:
  1. 4/20/21 Smart Controller Pre-orders open to dealers. Pre-order window to close 5/7/21. We pre-order a ton because we know they are going to be a hit.
  2. 4/29/21 Spring Savings ("The Fire-sale") announced. Up to 30% savings. This announcement was a total surprise and had our team making quick updates before the sale started 5/3/21.
  3. 5/14/21 Spring Savings ("The Fire-sale") cancelled. It was supposed to run for weeks, and again this announcement caught us off guard. "The unfortunate delay comes as a result of the ongoing shortage of semiconductor chips, which has impacted our production schedule and supply chain."
  4. 6/4/21 V2 Product Announcement via email from Autel. The news spreads like wildfire before we even get a chance to read the communication from Autel. Again, caught off guard.
And here's what we know about the systems as of right now:
  • EVO 2 V1 will work the SC V1, it will not work with SC V2
  • EVO 2 V2 will work the SC V2, it will not work with SC V1
  • LiveDeck will not work with EVO 2 V2, it will still work with EVO 2 V1
  • EVO 2 V1 and V2 will be the exact same drone except for the chip and 2.4/5.8 frequencies. Batteries and all other accessories to remain the same.
  • Along with no chips being available, there was no long-term future with the previous chip manufacturer. The old chip manufacturer was on the "entity list."
  • The new chip manufacturer is not on the "entity list." This leads the way to NDAA compliance which is a huge deal for long-term competitiveness for Autel in the United States. Especially when many American bids and contracts require "non-covered" parts and components when using federal money. Anyone who works for the federal government, wins a federal contract job, or tries to procure drones with a federal grant knows what a PITA it is trying to use "Chinese" drones. You're left with the current crop of NDAA compliant drones which are no where near the capability of Autel (We would know, we represent most of the NDAA compliant drone manufactures).
    • Fun fact. DJI Executives wake at night in a cold sweat when they dream of NDAA compliance, because they know they can never achieve this with their current tech roadmap.

In conclusion; dealers have, unfortunately, both been blind-sided by the manufacturer's announcements and now bear the brunt of customer dissatisfaction. Do we remain a firm Autel partner? Absolutely. They are one of the best partners we work with and make some great products with a bright future. Are we defending this move by Autel? Nope! As a dealer, we like consistency and the ability to plan. Can they make V1 and V2 play nice so this all goes way? No idea. Do we have crystal ball to know where all of this is going? Hell no, we are along for the ride just like you all.

That being said we'll keep doing our best to bring great tech to the market, and support you guys in every step of the way.

Last edited:
Since the V2 news dropped the Empire Drone team, to avoid causing more confusion, made the decision to remain silent and not join the fray. Since the dust has, somewhat, settled we think it's best to lay-out what dealers know. Especially now that folks are calling "conspiracy" between dealers and Autel.

1. 4/20/21 Smart Controller Pre-orders open to dealers. Pre-order window to close 5/7/21. We pre-order a ton because we know they are going to be a hit.
  2. 4/29/21 Spring Savings ("The Fire-sale") announced. Up to 30% savings. This announcement was a total surprise and had our team making quick updates before the sale started 5/3/21.
  3. 5/14/21 Spring Savings ("The Fire-sale") cancelled. It was supposed to run for weeks, and again this announcement caught us off guard. "The unfortunate delay comes as a result of the ongoing shortage of semiconductor chips, which has impacted our production schedule and supply chain."
  4. 6/4/21 V2 Product Announcement via email from Autel. The news spreads like wildfire before we even get a chance to read the communication from Autel. Again, caught off guard.
  • EVO 2 V1 and V2 will be the exact same drone except for the chip and 2.4/5.8 frequencies. Batteries and all other accessories to remain the same.
  • Along with no chips being available, there was no long-term future with the previous chip manufacturer. The old chip manufacturer was on the "entity list."
  • The new chip manufacturer is not on the "entity list." This leads the way to NDAA compliance which is a huge deal for long-term competitiveness for Autel in the United States. Especially when many American bids and contracts require "non-covered" parts and components when using federal money. Anyone who works for the federal government, wins a federal contract job, or tries to procure drones with a federal grant knows what a PITA it is trying to use "Chinese" drones. You're left with the current crop of NDAA compliant drones which are no where near the capability of Autel (We would know, we represent most of the NDAA compliant drone manufactures).
    • Fun fact. DJI Executives wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat when they dream of NDAA compliance, because they know they can never achieve this with their current tech roadmap.

In conclusion; dealers have, unfortunately, both been blind-sided by the manufacturer's announcements and now bear the brunt of customer dissatisfaction. Do we remain a firm Autel partner? Absolutely. They are one of the best partners we work with and make some great products with a bright future. Are we defending this move by Autel? Nope! As a dealer, we like consistency and the ability to plan. Can they make V1 and V2 play nice so this all goes way? No idea. Do we have crystal ball to know where all of this is going? Hell no, we are along for the ride just like you all.
Thank you for the informative post, much appreciated.

..the official Autel distributor for Italy is returning the pre-order money, the smart controllers for the current version of EVO2 will never arrive due to the impossibility of solving some technical problems .. so they say ...
i think what ever stock these is for SCV1 will be just enough for North America. depends on reviews if its overall good or bad determine the resale value.

good luck to autel on making this work; I know those meetings to make decisions can be pretty rough because not everybody wins. do what you gotta do!

Until we find out what v1 and v2 chips are. Then we will know if they can be programmed. maybe V1 is a 32bit and V2 is 64bit again not until someone buys both and opens them up we can find out the truth

.. in my opinion there would be a solution that would allow Autel not to lose credibility and get out of the corner, provide the new controller combined with a new naked version aircraft, without all easily removable parts, without batteries, without camera , without propellers, at a very affordable promotional price. It would be bought only by the owners of the previous version, it would not be convenient for new buyers ... with this initiative they would save face and would not lose the market, on the contrary they would increase it ...
In a perfect world Autel would swap out the V1 with the V2 sans camera, battery, and props.

I like your idea. Time will tell if Autel is able to come up with something to achieve something like this.

Empire Drone's post does clarify why this new chipset is a necessity moving forward. I get it now. The entity list and government purchases are a very big deal to a company like Autel Robotics, Skydio, and DJI.

• Fun fact. DJI Executives wake at night in a cold sweat when they dream of NDAA compliance, because they know they can never achieve this with their current tech roadmap.

That being said we'll keep doing our best to bring great tech to the market, and support you guys in every step of the way.

Thanks, your input is appreciated...

Goes without saying, but Autel doesn't have a leg to stand on here with their lack of prior planning, or the fact the v2 will be the fix for what they advertised and purported the v1 to be in the first place (re signal performance). This should be done on their dime, not ours.

I haven't read the entire thread - I expect my comments above are just echoing others. I was wondering though if a timeframe for the v2 been confirmed by Autel (or even guesstimated)?

Between the pending v2 and enterprise versions, it seems like we'll be waiting indefinitely before further investing in Autel.

Your drone, your standard controller, your smart controller and your live deck?

Not happening.
Spike why so pessimistic? Chances are they won't upgrade the SC because people are purchasing them after the announcement, the live deck I don't know about that either, but as for the drone and standard controller itself it his highly possible that they will.

Spike why so pessimistic?
Because it's simply not financially viable my good man :(

If they upgrade one person under warranty, and all their kit, they have to upgrade everyone who needs a warranty repair.

How many warranty repairs do Autel get per year?

Hundreds? ?‍♂️

So that's hundreds of v2 airframes, hundreds of v2 controllers, hundreds of live decks, hundreds of smart controllers. That's a lot of money for a company to lose. It wouldn't take long to burn through any profit they were planning on making :/

Thanks, your input is appreciated...

Goes without saying, but Autel doesn't have a leg to stand on here with their lack of prior planning, or the fact the v2 will be the fix for what they advertised and purported the v1 to be in the first place (re signal performance). This should be done on their dime, not ours.

I haven't read the entire thread - I expect my comments above are just echoing others. I was wondering though if a timeframe for the v2 been confirmed by Autel (or even guesstimated)?

Between the pending v2 and enterprise versions, it seems like we'll be waiting indefinitely before further investing in Autel.
There is no issue with signal performance on the V1 and the V2 is a mirror image of the V1. The Evo has the best signal performance in its class easy and you can see many reviews to confirm that. They are not doing anything on your dime. Markets change as well as products and even so I expect Autel to do whatever is possible to take care of those that are upset by the switch. But if they didn't switch we would just not have any products to buy at all because production would be at a standstill and Im sure had they been able to tell the future and see the issues with the V1 chip not being available they would have made the switch with the V1.

Because it's simply not financially viable my good man :(

If they upgrade one person under warranty, and all their kit, they have to upgrade everyone who needs a warranty repair.

How many warranty repairs do Autel get per year?

Hundreds? ?‍♂️

So that's hundreds of v2 airframes, hundreds of v2 controllers, hundreds of live decks, hundreds of smart controllers. That's a lot of money for a company to lose. It wouldn't take long to burn through any profit they were planning on making :/
Completely agree and like I said I dont think they will do anything for the SC and live deck, but the V1 and V2 are essentially exactly the same except for a chip so if all Autel needs to do is swap 1 chip and whatever on the standard controller I can see them doing that and at the very most charging like 100.00 upgrade fee or something.. if that.

Reactions: PingSpike
While I understand the reasoning behind Autel’s move, there’s no way this doesn’t hurt them long term. While I like my 6K, I don’t love it. Connectivity and range have never been my issues with this quad. It’s got plenty of other “quirks” that I would consider bigger issues. This move has made me sour on Autel products, as a one year shelf life on a $1700 quad is a hard pill to swallow. My SC preorder refund is now waiting to see what the Mavic 3 brings to the table.

Reactions: aebiv and PingSpike
There is no issue with signal performance on the V1 and the V2 is a mirror image of the V1. The Evo has the best signal performance in its class easy and you can see many reviews to confirm that. They are not doing anything on your dime. Markets change as well as products and even so I expect Autel to do whatever is possible to take care of those that are upset by the switch. But if they didn't switch we would just not have any products to buy at all because production would be at a standstill and Im sure had they been able to tell the future and see the issues with the V1 chip not being available they would have made the switch with the V1.
Unfortunately, and with due respect, this couldn't be further from the truth.

The Evo II "v1" performs no where near as well as a Mavic 2 (or Air 2s) flown in the exact same location under identical flight parameters and conditions. I fly for Public Safety and have tested this extensively - the Evo II v1 suffers poor signal events and complete disconnects where the Mavic 2 does not. No Youtube "review" or the like, that flies a drone straight out over a field or body of water, relates at all to everyday real world scenarios; especially in mixed terrain.

You commented that the v2 is a mirror image of the [Evo II] v1 on a thread discussing the pending (and yet unknown) v2 upgrades?

From the sound of it, Autel is implementing much needed radio modifications that will effectively bring the Evo II v1 up to the claims they made about it from day one. This should absolutely be done on their dime (as a recall) and not require the purchase of an entirely new aircraft. This issue isn't about component shortages or technology advancements - it's about Autel standing by their customers and honoring their original advertising/marketing claims.

If you're unaffected by the issue, great, but many of us are...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo