Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Pilot in Chicago suburbs

Jnewmanco1

Reaction score
Just checking in as a new XSP owner. Only three flights in but loving every minute of it.
I got my introduction to drone flying using a little hubsan inside the house driving my wife crazy. It did help however getting me used to the controls. Now that I'm outside with the Autel however I am still taking my time making sure I fully understand all of the ins and outs.

I have a small airport and a hospital heliport within a 5 mile radius from where I fly so I have been calling them each time. Has anyone setup any kind of agreement with these types of facilities so you do not have to call each time or do you just call? I don't mind calling but they seem to act like it's really not necessary for some reason.

One more question. I have been using my iphone 6+ but it's too small, I can hardly see it out in the daylight (even with a shade), and yesterday my phone battery went from 99% down to 5% in about 10 minutes. What is up with that? I wil try my ipad Air 2 next time but I am afraid even that will be hard to see in daylight. Any recommendations on what is best for visibility outside? Thanks for any input.
Glad to be aboard.
James

Reactions: RJ_Make and Bigbit
Some of us use the battery box that the spare batteries come in. The black box and long flap on top works great. Kind of like a baseball cap. I glued a small piece of velcro in there to hold my phone in place.

20170312_141558_HDR.jpg 20170312_141613_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Jnewmanco1
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the AutelXPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Autel quadcopter’s. If your new to RC aircraft be sure to read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy!

Some of us use the battery box that the spare batteries come in. The black box and long flap on top works great. Kind of like a baseball cap. I glued a small piece of velcro in there to hold my phone in place.
Brilliant!

I'd call the airport and heliport and ask about some type of permanent notification arrangements...can't hurt to ask, especially if they seem to be of the opinion that it's not necessary to call. But I'd get it all in writing just as a CYA in the event that there's a problem somewhere down the road.

Thanks. I'll do that but in the meantime I will be on the safe side and just keep calling.

If it's not a class B, C, D or E airport, all of which require authorization for flying within five miles, the small airport in question would be a class G, and authorization is not necessary. Just be very aware of your surroundings.

Just checking in as a new XSP owner. Only three flights in but loving every minute of it.
I got my introduction to drone flying using a little hubsan inside the house driving my wife crazy. It did help however getting me used to the controls. Now that I'm outside with the Autel however I am still taking my time making sure I fully understand all of the ins and outs.

I have a small airport and a hospital heliport within a 5 mile radius from where I fly so I have been calling them each time. Has anyone setup any kind of agreement with these types of facilities so you do not have to call each time or do you just call? I don't mind calling but they seem to act like it's really not necessary for some reason.

One more question. I have been using my iphone 6+ but it's too small, I can hardly see it out in the daylight (even with a shade), and yesterday my phone battery went from 99% down to 5% in about 10 minutes. What is up with that? I wil try my ipad Air 2 next time but I am afraid even that will be hard to see in daylight. Any recommendations on what is best for visibility outside? Thanks for any input.
Glad to be aboard.
James
My iPad air2 is perfect. I live in Fla and the sun is brutal on the screen. Getting ready to try an android cell offline waypoint mission..... fingers crossed

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy