Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Evo II arriving this week and I have some questions

CL117

Reaction score
Hi -- I have a new Evo II Pro coming this week and want to be ready the minute it arrives! I bought the $2500 bundle. Does it come with a filter to protect the lens? I bought some ND ones, but they won't arrive until next week--a few days after I get the drone. Should I wait for the ND's to arrive to protect the lens or is it okay to fly without it--from a safety-to-the-lens perspective?

Also, where does the Evo II Pro record data? Do I need to buy a bunch of SD Cards or Micro SD Cards? Or does the information get recorded on the phone (which means I need to ensure I have space on the phone)?

Thanks!

you do not need to wait to fly your drone, it comes ready right out of the box. the camera lens is already well protected. you should wait to see what comes with your drone before you repeat buy the same accessories so i would cancel your filter order until you know what you are getting and most importantly, why you are buying them and what they are properly used for (i.e. not for protection of the camera lens). all you really need is one micro-sd card which should be sufficient to store your video recording (which cannot be captured or stored with your phone).

Hi -- I have a new Evo II Pro coming this week and want to be ready the minute it arrives! I bought the $2500 bundle. Does it come with a filter to protect the lens? I bought some ND ones, but they won't arrive until next week--a few days after I get the drone. Should I wait for the ND's to arrive to protect the lens or is it okay to fly without it--from a safety-to-the-lens perspective?

Also, where does the Evo II Pro record data? Do I need to buy a bunch of SD Cards or Micro SD Cards? Or does the information get recorded on the phone (which means I need to ensure I have space on the phone)?

Thanks!

@kenautelevo2pro provided excellent advice. While you wait, this thread may help you get up to speed quicker on your new purchase. Also, if you do decide to buy a larger microSD card than the one that comes with it, I recommend this card. I use nothing but Sandisk Extreme Pros in all of my cameras and have never had an issue.

@herein2021 - Thanks so much. I will definitely read that thread as I'm excited to get started. I'll get that microSD card. I like SanDisk too. I've used them for years (on DSLRs) (micro and regular) almost exclusively. I only had one that failed---but bought Sandisk Recovery software and was able to retrieve the data from the card. Only 1 failure (and it was recoverable) in 10+ years, so not bad!

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Hi--the Evo has arrived! My first drone ever. I'm on the FAA dronezone site to register it, and got stumped by one of the very first questions! "DOES YOUR DRONE BROADCAST FAA REMOTE ID INFORMATION?" I think the answer is "no", but if I say "no" am I going to be allowed to fly it if the current legislation requires it? I'm Part 107 and am registering under that process if that makes any difference. TIA.

Hi--the Evo has arrived! My first drone ever. I'm on the FAA dronezone site to register it, and got stumped by one of the very first questions! "DOES YOUR DRONE BROADCAST FAA REMOTE ID INFORMATION?" I think the answer is "no", but if I say "no" am I going to be allowed to fly it if the current legislation requires it? I'm Part 107 and am registering under that process if that makes any difference. TIA.
there are zero drones on the market that can answer "yes" to this question. so for you (and everyone else, part 107 and recreational), the answer is "no."

nobody knows if this box will be used to ground drones, prevent flights, or otherwise impact your drone due to upcoming legislation but i highly doubt it. if you say "yes" then you have to provide details which you simply don't have have today, so it doesn't matter much at this point.

enjoy your evo!

Reactions: gschulzuio
there are zero drones on the market that can answer "yes" to this question. so for you (and everyone else, part 107 and recreational), the answer is "no."

nobody knows if this box will be used to ground drones, prevent flights, or otherwise impact your drone due to upcoming legislation but i highly doubt it. if you say "yes" then you have to provide details which you simply don't have have today, so it doesn't matter much at this point.

enjoy your evo!

Okay--thanks for the guidance!

Okay--thanks for the guidance!

I will say, that's very brave flying the EVO as your very first drone. You will definitely want to stick to wide open spaces like parks well away from people until you get more familiar with it. They are so easy to fly that you start to take them for granted until you get into a difficult situation. Below are some of the main things I can think of to look out for:

• Rebar in Cement - I recommend never taking off from cement. The rebar in cement can cause compass errors which can cause you to lose your drone. Never take off if you see compass errors. Just shut down the drone and try a different location. Personally I never take off directly from the ground, I have the GPC rugged case and always take off from the top of it to reduce the chances of buried metallic sources affecting the compass.
  • Wind Strength / Direction - It is very easy to get into trouble with the wind. If the wind is blowing say 20mph and you fly downwind, you need to test the return to ensure the drone is strong enough to overcome the wind, this should be done immediately after liftoff. I typically fly upwind a few hundred feet or so to see how the drone handles before flying downwind in situations like that. Also, ludicrous mode will be needed at times to overcome wind
  • Power Lines - No current obstacle avoidance can avoid them, so I recommend always doing a visual check before ever leaving the ground and staying far away from them when in the air
  • Cell Towers - these are the worst....invisible bracing lines and the tower signals typically interfere with your controller. Stay away from cell towers or approach with extreme caution.
  • Cranes - I work around a lot of construction sites, care must be taken around cranes which can be over 100' tall, especially the hanging hook
  • Battery Life - keep track of your tablet's battery life in addition to your controller and drone. My iPad mini's battery seems to last forever so its easy to forget to check the battery levels on it when flying
  • Return To Home Cancel - Learn how to cancel RTH, the problem with RTH after taking off from a difficult location such as under a tree is that if you do not cancel it if it gets triggered the drone will come down right on the top of the tree
  • Blind Spots - All OA has blind spots, the OA should be a failsafe not a first choice so I you should still keep track of your surroundings and not just rely on the OA
The list goes on but those are some of the hidden problems that I can think of off of the top of my head and how to avoid them.

I will say, that's very brave flying the EVO as your very first drone. You will definitely want to stick to wide open spaces like parks well away from people until you get more familiar with it. They are so easy to fly that you start to take them for granted until you get into a difficult situation. Below are some of the main things I can think of to look out for:

• Rebar in Cement - I recommend never taking off from cement. The rebar in cement can cause compass errors which can cause you to lose your drone. Never take off if you see compass errors. Just shut down the drone and try a different location. Personally I never take off directly from the ground, I have the GPC rugged case and always take off from the top of it to reduce the chances of buried metallic sources affecting the compass.
  • Wind Strength / Direction - It is very easy to get into trouble with the wind. If the wind is blowing say 20mph and you fly downwind, you need to test the return to ensure the drone is strong enough to overcome the wind, this should be done immediately after liftoff. I typically fly upwind a few hundred feet or so to see how the drone handles before flying downwind in situations like that. Also, ludicrous mode will be needed at times to overcome wind
  • Power Lines - No current obstacle avoidance can avoid them, so I recommend always doing a visual check before ever leaving the ground and staying far away from them when in the air
  • Cell Towers - these are the worst....invisible bracing lines and the tower signals typically interfere with your controller. Stay away from cell towers or approach with extreme caution.
  • Cranes - I work around a lot of construction sites, care must be taken around cranes which can be over 100' tall, especially the hanging hook
  • Battery Life - keep track of your tablet's battery life in addition to your controller and drone. My iPad mini's battery seems to last forever so its easy to forget to check the battery levels on it when flying
  • Return To Home Cancel - Learn how to cancel RTH, the problem with RTH after taking off from a difficult location such as under a tree is that if you do not cancel it if it gets triggered the drone will come down right on the top of the tree
  • Blind Spots - All OA has blind spots, the OA should be a failsafe not a first choice so I you should still keep track of your surroundings and not just rely on the OA
The list goes on but those are some of the hidden problems that I can think of off of the top of my head and how to avoid them.

herein2021---thank you so much for all the guidance. I hope evo being my first drone wasn't a bad idea! I'm a photographer and I bought it because I liked its photo capabilities (particularly over the mavic 2/3). I did think of buying a cheaper $200 drone just to learn on, but then decided rather than waste the $200--I could invest it in the evo---another battery, microSD cards, or whatever. also a $200 drone may be harder to fly than a good, $2,000 one! I hope I didn't make the wrong decision!

Thanks for all the guidance. I'm charging everything right now and will take it out to the park tomorrow. Will be the first time i even turn it on! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I actually put in the air....

Thanks!
My bundle did not come with filters. I have nearly 200 flights on the EVO 2 without filters. I can do most of what I want in post. Spend the money to buy brand name SD cards. I use SanDisk Extreme PRO 256K cards. Make sure you purchase very fast WRITE speed (not READ speed). You have an option to record internally or externally on a SD card. I use the SD card all the time. It is a great autonomous drone. I fly 25 minute preprogrammed flights with great success. Enjoy your new bird.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall@DRONE