Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New drone regulation in Canada

jcmarceau

Reaction score
Hello what do you think about new regulations coming in June 2019 for drones in canada....you will have to registered you drone at transport Canada to obtain your registration number that will have to be visible on your drone like a car plate and also you have to pass an online exam to obtain your pilot certificate. Personally I did all of this and let me tell you that the exam is really really tuff. But now I am legal. The only thing is that the drone as to be in VLOS at all time...so that means you cannot relly on your phone or tablet....it as to be in visual line of sight at all time

Hello what do you think about new regulations coming in June 2019 for drones in canada....you will have to registered you drone at transport Canada to obtain your registration number that will have to be visible on your drone like a car plate and also you have to pass an online exam to obtain your pilot certificate. Personally I did all of this and let me tell you that the exam is really really tuff. But now I am legal. The only thing is that the drone as to be in VLOS at all time...so that means you cannot relly on your phone or tablet....it as to be in visual line of sight at all time
Seriously?? I thought USA would get tougher before Canada, but
I stand corrected. Will illegals be able to fly w/o a license like they drive here? :)

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
They aren't that different from the Oct 05, 2018 revision of USA. I already have mine registered since a year ago (before it was required) and have my part 107 pilot certificate. The test has a lot of info, but I didn't find it hard.

The basic test is pretty easy, and only costs 10$. The registration for the aircraft is only 5$.
When you've spent a ton of cash on a drone, these things are a drop in the bucket.
Getting the advanced test right now is not worth it unless you have a compliant UAV. DJI is not one of them and most cost in the thousands of dollars. So all the big corporations with all the big bucks have paid someone off in the government to set it up this way.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
The basic test is pretty easy, and only costs 10$. The registration for the aircraft is only 5$.
When you've spent a ton of cash on a drone, these things are a drop in the bucket.
Getting the advanced test right now is not worth it unless you have a compliant UAV. DJI is not one of them and most cost in the thousands of dollars. So all the big corporations with all the big bucks have paid someone off in the government to set it up this way.
In the US, the Part 107 test is $150. Don't know when the basic test will be incorporated and how much will it cost.

I’m shocked! Are you suggesting there’s some lobbying going on? No way.............................................................. ;)

The test is out since few days ......did you do it? Or you think it is pretty easy? Because i did it an i did not find it easy and neither some of my friends! This is what people are complaining about that the test is made so tuff that it is done this way so people are going to quit on drone flying!

The test is out since few days ......did you do it? Or you think it is pretty easy? Because i did it an i did not find it easy and neither some of my friends! This is what people are complaining about that the test is made so tuff that it is done this way so people are going to quit on drone flying!
Do you know of a link with common asked questions or material from the test?

VLOS is just that... visual line of sight. You need to be able to see the drone. I seriously doubt you would see it at 3 statute miles.
Thing is,in the US you have to fly with visibility of 3 SM or more. Sometime this week I heard someone say VLOS is 3 SM, so it put me in doubt. I haven't verified FAA's VLOS definition to clarify.

Between searching for answers and doing the test, I finish taking it with 35 minutes to spare. The test is a joke. Being able to do it on your couch and have a beer and lunch at the same time is great .

Last edited:
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Do you know of a link with common asked questions or material from the test?

Either you go to a school that gives a one day theory class and do your test after or go on the site of nav canada and transport canada and read everything you can prior to make the exam. There was some question about part on a plane, helicopter parts, questions about clouds and different winds name, communication frequency’s, about airport classification area and some questions about drone and drones regulation and other stuff.

The test is very simple (if you have an aviation background of any sort). Im aware that this is a very small percentile of drone users. I don't believe it's a money grab. Just hear me out... I understand all of this seems overwhelming but you have to look at the bigger picture. Even if you simply google the questions as you take the test it is forcing you to find the answer, because of this you now know one rule of aviation, next question, same thing, etc. By the end of the test their goal is to simply make you aware of these laws. How many people memorized the highway traffic act since they got their license? Nobody. However you have a general understanding of what's right and wrong from a technical standpoint. The most important part of making you pass the test is LIABILITY. Now when you break a rule, and possess a license, ignorance can never be an excuse (not that it ever was) and you are liable for any actions you have taken and also can be charged by transport canada as the assumption is made that you possess the knowledge since you passed the test. It is in your best interest anyways to know the laws. Keeps people safe. Drones these days can climb up to and over 8000 Feet which is National air traffic laneways in class E airspace. Think about that.....

Anyways, just my .02c

Forgot to add:
Study the CAR's(Canadian Aviation Regulations)CFS(Canadian Flight Supplement), and the designated airspace handbook.

Here is additional info that will help a lot.

Attachments

• TP-15263E-2ND-EDITION.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials