Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

new 2.5.12 FW from today???

alex_markov

Reaction score
On autel site FW image date was changed to 24.11.2020
Version 2.5.12
Nov-24-2020
descriptions gimble is newer?

Effectively not same file size.
The bin is 202246Kb against 202508Kb for the old one.
They had to withdraw functions ...:D

Don't know what has changed as I was not paying attention. Perhaps someone can figure it out.

Firmware Version Table and Release Notes​

This firmware package V2.5.12 contains the following component updates:

COMPONENTVERSION
Flight ControlV0.0.1.108
CameraV0.2.29.24
Remote ControllerV2.0.4.3
RC PanelV3.0.9.0
Image TransmissionV1.1.1.36
RC Image TransmissionV1.1.1.36
GimbalV0.1.41.0
BatteryV0.0.14.0
Vision ModuleV0.2.29.24
SonarV1.2.1.25
ESC1-4V1.0.3.6

Release Notes:​

• New Features:
  • - Added IMU Calibration
  • - Added the third axis compass calibration to improve calibration accuracy
  • - Added InfiRay 640T thermal camera with radiometric support (specific regions only)
  • - Added Time Lapse in Intelligent Flight Modes.
  • - Added SD exFAT large file system support (3.5 GB or more)

• Bug Fixes and Optimizations:
  • - Optimized gimbal stability
  • - Optimized gimbal automatic calibration by adding gyro bias calibration
  • - Improved the Smart Orbit performance
  • - Optimized the balance of picture sharpness and noise, color reproduction and the tones in some scenes for both 8K and 6K to improve JPEG image quality
  • - Changed the default video encoding format to H.265 for videos in 6K and 8K resolutions
  • - Resolved EXIF data error issue
  • - Fixed the "Gimbal is not ready" bug on firmware 2.5.11

• Notes: After you upgrade the firmware, please perform gimbal auto calibration, IMU calibration and Compass calibration before the first flight. In order to support all the new features, please upgrade the Autel Explorer app to iOS V1.7.5, Android V1.1.7.10 and newer.

Well that's pretty sneaky. Good catch. Speaking as a software person, that is definitely not the right way to release software...

Reactions: PingSpike
It is mind boggling that they can't figure out how to properly version number their firmware. It's the most basic concept you learn prior to learning how to make the firmware to begin with. As a company, this should be embarrassing to them.

Why is that
Trust and traceability are key, but too many reasons to list here. Releases should always have a unique version number and changelog. Pedals nailed it, this is the most basic stuff a software shop should be doing - amateur hour at Autel!

Without unique versions, how does autel internally protect against human error of releasing or modifying the wrong version? How does support know which is which when calls come in? Doing this the wrong way creates a footgun - someone there will eventually get confused and compounding mistakes get made. I've seen firsthand the mishaps this can lead to and it's not pretty.

Had our keen community not caught this, we could have some members' drones experiencing different behavior on the "same" firmware and ended up creating more problems trying to help them. Building software the right way is especially important for something that flies. When we have no idea what changed, or why, in a system where bugs can cause harm to humans and property - its not just a case of bad practice, it's dangerous.

Just so I am clear on this can someone tell me that they downloaded this so called new version and did a complete firmware update? I know in the past it will skip all the steps and only update anything new. So has someone tried it and watched to see if it is actually updating something?

Trust and traceability are key, but too many reasons to list here. Releases should always have a unique version number and changelog. Pedals nailed it, this is the most basic stuff a software shop should be doing - amateur hour at Autel!

Without unique versions, how does autel internally protect against human error of releasing or modifying the wrong version? How does support know which is which when calls come in? Doing this the wrong way creates a footgun - someone there will eventually get confused and compounding mistakes get made. I've seen firsthand the mishaps this can lead to and it's not pretty.

Had our keen community not caught this, we could have some members' drones experiencing different behavior on the "same" firmware and ended up creating more problems trying to help them. Building software the right way is especially important for something that flies. When we have no idea what changed, or why, in a system where bugs can cause harm to humans and property - its not just a case of bad practice, it's dangerous.
Thanks for the insight

Reactions: PingSpike
Augustine, excuse my naive ignorance in describing what I've done but here goes.

I checked the firmware versions in my E2P and wrote them all down. Then I did the latest firmware update.

Here's my before/after data:
Flight Control V0.0.1.97/V0.0.1.108
Camera V0.2.27.9/V0.2.29.24
Remote Controller V2.0.4.2/V2.0.4.3
RC Panel V3.0.8.0/V3.0.9.0
Image Trans V1.1.129/V1.1.1.36
RC Image Trans V1.1.1.29/V1.1.1.36
Gimbal V0.1.24.0/V0.1.41.0
Battery V0.0.12.0/V0.0.12.0
Vision Module V0.2.27.9/V0.2.29.24
Sonar V1.2.1.25/V1.2.1.25
ESC 1-4 V1.0.3.6/V1.0.3.6

When I cranked up just now to confirm my current versions I had a "firmware upgrade available" notice.....

In review it appears I got everything except the battery update. I'm still at V0.0.12.0

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials