Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

ND filters

gasquetmike

Reaction score
I know theres already posts on here about ND filters, but thought id ask my own question. I have never used a ND filter. I bought the 3 pack when i got my Evo. It has a ND4, ND8 and ND16...in really easy uncomplicated...words for the old dumb drone guy...when would i want to use each of these and what would each one do...and are they more for photos than video?...i shoot mostly video..

Basically it's like putting sunglasses on on a bright day. Depending on how bright the day, you would use the 4, 8, or 16. This in turn allows the shutter to remain ooen longer, allowing more information into the photo or video. If your filters are polarized, it prevents sun glare in reflective surfaces to ruin your footage.

The app below is a great app that tells you which filter to use on any given day.
Screenshot_20191105-161521_Google Play Store.jpg

So a really bright day would require the ND16? where a slightly bright day would require the ND4?..another ? is, if the suns to your back and the subject is just well lit, what effect would the filter have?...i guess im just going to have to experiment..

The longer shutter contributes to motion blur...which can be desirable. It also helps prevent shaky footage from causing the dreaded jello effect. And if you have ever had the props cause noise or flickering, nd filters will help reduce that.

I find using filters for video a hit or miss type of deal. I have had great success and had where they have ruined my videos completely. I'm no expert when it comes to using them but do know they can give you a very nice effect if used correctly. With this video I posted the other day I knew I was going to be flying directly into the sun so I used a ND16. I just wanted to make sure I had no lens flare coming from the sun when and if it broke through the clouds. When coming back I had to adjust the EV as it was just to dark so its a toss up sometimes.

I find using filters for video a hit or miss type of deal. I have had great success and had where they have ruined my videos completely. I'm no expert when it comes to using them but do know they can give you a very nice effect if used correctly. With this video I posted the other day I knew I was going to be flying directly into the sun so I used a ND16. I just wanted to make sure I had no lens flare coming from the sun when and if it broke through the clouds. When coming back I had to adjust the EV as it was just to dark so its a toss up sometimes.

I don't generally use them. I have a 3DR Solo and they never really got the micro vibrations cured from that craft...so the ND filters were a must. The Evo doesn't have that problem.

Here is a photo with no nd filter. Look into the exposure time.
20191105_171112.jpg
Screenshot_20191105-171124_Gallery.jpg

Now with my car's tinted window.
20191105_171103.jpg
Screenshot_20191105-171140_Gallery.jpg

Please note that the results from my tinted windows are not what you will get with ND filters in term of colors. It was done to show you how the shutter slows down when it filters some of the light out.

Last edited:
I know theres already posts on here about ND filters, but thought id ask my own question. I have never used a ND filter. I bought the 3 pack when i got my Evo. It has a ND4, ND8 and ND16...in really easy uncomplicated...words for the old dumb drone guy...when would i want to use each of these and what would each one do...and are they more for photos than video?...i shoot mostly video..
@gasquetmike ND 4 hits the sweet spot on both of the drones I fly on sunny days. With the EVO I can shoot auto with the ND4 and get footage that is still somewhat flat and allows some color grading. On my H480 I lock white balance, set the EV manually etc. Still get good gradable footage with an ND 4. I find the EVO runs a bit blue with an 8 or 16 unless it is extremely bright out or you are flying towards the sun. Frame blending can be done in post production so no real benefit unless you don't do any editing of your clips. IMHO..lol

nice video! Its funny i was flying the same type of sunset, thats what got me thinking about the filters..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95cXCXRZwtQ&t=15s

Depending on how bright the day, you would use the 4, 8, or 16. This in turn allows the shutter to remain open longer, allowing more information into the photo or video.
Here is a photo with no nd filter. Look into the exposure time.

Now with my car's tinted window.

Please note that the results from my tinted windows are not what you will get with ND filters in term of colors. It was done to show you how the shutter slows down when it filters some of the light out.
Whoops, looks like the photos were inserted in the wrong order. The camera appears to be in full auto with the aperture wide open at f/1.7 in both photos. And the ISO is 'wide open' at 50 in both shots. So adding an ND filter (window tint) decreases the amount of light through the lens and with the shutter speed being the only variable the camera can adjust, decreasing light means slowing the shutter speed for a longer exposure to gather more light. The order mismatch is also confirmed in the thumbnail Tags by observing the passing white car in the photo to match the text display and which full size image it belongs to. The brighter photo was with the 1/258 sec exposure.

Maybe others have scratched their head on this one too. :cool:

Reactions: Rubik3x
Whoops, looks like the photos were inserted in the wrong order. The camera appears to be in full auto with the aperture wide open at f/1.7 in both photos. And the ISO is 'wide open' at 50 in both shots. So adding an ND filter (window tint) decreases the amount of light through the lens and with the shutter speed being the only variable the camera can adjust, decreasing light means slowing the shutter speed for a longer exposure to gather more light. The order mismatch is also confirmed in the thumbnail Tags by observing the passing white car in the photo to match the text display and which full size image it belongs to. The brighter photo was with the 1/258 sec exposure.

Maybe others have scratched their head on this one too. :cool:
Perhaps. I was driving while I took those photos and posted them in here. I posted the photos by time stamp and didn't pay attention to the actual photo. Fixed it.

Last edited:
i dont see any photos:(
Click the link below

ND filters work great for shooting videos as they allow a good low ISO setting (for more detailed images) and the shutter speed to be approximately twice the frame rate (i.e. 1/60s shutter speed at 30fps for satisfying motion blur). However, if you plan to pull still images from the video, the fastest shutter speed is an advantage to get the sharpest possible still image. So in that situation, do not use an ND filter. But always keep the ISO as low as possible.

Reactions: parkgt and Lyk2fly
I have had good luck with stills & videos using the NDPL16 filter for sunny days & the camera setting is set to AUTO. This seems to enhance colors & give some `depth` to the shot. Anyone else tried this??"

Reactions: gasquetmike
Not quite as interesting as that Sunset beach video above, but this one I put the ND16/pl on with auto settings.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials