Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My initial complaints of the Evo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There appears to be some misunderstanding. I have not seen the Autel NFZ warning that blocks the screen, that you referred to. I have frequently been continuously warned about Altitude restrictions that I cannot dismiss that appear in the upper left corner of the screen. There is no need for me to show you the hidden Autel map in my area just to satisfy your curiosity. Why don't you also post your home address to satisfy my curiosity so we know you aren't hiding anything! :rolleyes: The only relevant Autel map for the EVO is the hidden internal Autel map in each pilot's flight area. That hidden map is the one that produces the unremovable onscreen EVO warnings. Compliance with FAA regulations is a given, and does not guarantee that the EVO won't produce an onscreen warning that cannot be removed. The Autel internal maps are not perfect, and have flaws, just like DJI GEO maps.

The important takeaway here is that Autel has both NFZ's and Altitude Restrictions already built in, that do affect your ability to fly by blocking your FPV screen, even if they will still let you fly with this crippled FPV. On the other hand, DJI 's GEO zones can potentially be unlocked completely, so that your FPV remains clear and unobstructed. Pick your poison, but both are already geofenced!

After all the back and forth on this subject it is still unclear to me if a 107 pilot with authorization will have trouble flying (or seeing the complete screen) in restricted airspace around airports. Or will this only be triggered if the block altitude limit is exceeded?

After all the back and forth on this subject it is still unclear to me if a 107 pilot with authorization will have trouble flying (or seeing the complete screen) in restricted airspace around airports. Or will this only be triggered if the block altitude limit is exceeded?
107 pilot with authorization is irrelevant to Autel. Autel, to my knowledge, has no system in place to remove their warnings to allow you to see the the complete screen, when they deem you are in either an Altitude Zone or in an NFZ. Best to request the hidden geofencing map from Autel for the area in which you need to fly, so you can plan accordingly.

107 pilot with authorization is irrelevant to Autel. Autel, to my knowledge, has no system in place to remove their warnings to allow you to see the the complete screen, when they deem you are in either an Altitude Zone or in an NFZ. Best to request the hidden geofencing map from Autel for the area in which you need to fly, so you can plan accordingly.
Seems like a strange attitude to take in regard to customers trying to use their product for commercial use. Many real estate jobs I fly are close to a local regional airport, seems like Autel products are not suited for this use.

Reactions: G_G
Seems like a strange attitude to take in regard to customers trying to use their product for commercial use. Many real estate jobs I fly are close to a local regional airport, seems like Autel products are not suited for this use.
You will get the message, but it won't block your view like G_G says. It only blocks a portion of your left side. About 15% of the entire screen. Only while flying FPV will this message block your screen, since the resolution is inferior. You won't fly FPV as a part 107, so it will not really affect you.

You will get the message, but it won't block your view like G_G says. It only blocks a portion of your left side. About 15% of the entire screen. Only while flying FPV will this message block your screen, since the resolution is inferior. You won't fly FPV as a part 107, so it will not really affect you.
Every 107 pilot flying by VLOS still needs to use the FPV to compose a photograph or to shoot video for a client and WILL be affected by losing a portion of the screen blocked by an unremovable warning. If it is an an altitude zone, it may only be 15-20% of the frame, but in an NFZ, according to you, it completely blocks the screen. 107 pilots are also hired to fly in NFZ's, and can get FAA authorization to fly in them. To my knowledge, Autel still has no way of accommodating FAA authorized flying in NFZ's or altitude zones by removing the warnings from the screen, unlike DJI.

The screen warning will be displayed continuously while flying in any altitude zone, even when you are beneath the altitude limit. It is not limited to being triggered only when the block altitude limit is exceeded. You will not be able to see the complete screen for video or photo composition, while inside any grid block of an altitude limit.

The screen warning will be displayed continuously while flying in any altitude zone, even when you are beneath the altitude limit. It is not limited to being triggered only when the block altitude limit is exceeded. You will not be able to see the complete screen for video or photo composition, while inside any grid block of an altitude limit.
I’ve not come across this. Maybe because it doesn’t happen in Oz, or maybe because I haven’t tried to fly somewhere that required a warning. I do know that Autel has the ability to add geo-fencing where a government demands it—currently only China, I believe.

I’ve not come across this. Maybe because it doesn’t happen in Oz, or maybe because I haven’t tried to fly somewhere that required a warning. I do know that Autel has the ability to add geo-fencing where a government demands it—currently only China, I believe.
Autel geofencing is already present in the United States on all EVO's. It currently activates an unremovable warning over your video and photo composition screen, while still allowing you to fly, but there is no visible map display of the hidden geofencing. Autel can decide at any time to convert that warning screen into an inability to fly, just like they have in China, where it is mandated.

Autel geofencing is already present in the United States on all EVO's. It currently activates an unremovable warning over your video and photo composition screen, while still allowing you to fly, but there is no visible map display of the hidden geofencing. Autel can decide at any time to convert that warning screen into an inability to fly, just like they have in China, where it is mandated.
Has Autel declined to comment on this?

Has Autel declined to comment on this?
Not at all. They confirm it is working as intended, and they have no intention of changing it, nor displaying the hidden map. Should the FAA mandate geofencing, or Autel decide to do so proactively like DJI, Autel will simply flip a switch and fully activate it.

Here is your map for San Juan. If you are located in any one of the altitude grid blocks, you will lose 15-20% of your EVO composition screen, no matter how many authorizations you present to Autel, and in the 0 grid blocks, you should be in an NFZ, and have all of your screen blocked, based upon your prior posts.
30E9625C-3936-4395-8C5C-8A40B89295C5.jpeg

Every 107 pilot flying by VLOS still needs to use the FPV to compose a photograph or to shoot video for a client and WILL be affected by losing a portion of the screen blocked by an unremovable warning. If it is an an altitude zone, it may only be 15-20% of the frame, but in an NFZ, according to you, it completely blocks the screen. 107 pilots are also hired to fly in NFZ's, and can get FAA authorization to fly in them. To my knowledge, Autel still has no way of accommodating FAA authorized flying in NFZ's or altitude zones by removing the warnings from the screen, unlike DJI.
I have never used FPV on my Evo. Where do you find clients that require this of you? I use a laptop for my clients. I screen mirror from my phone/tablet to my laptop so the client can see and ask for what they want. I fly most of the time alone, so FPV is not an option.

Here is your map for San Juan. If you are located in any one of the altitude grid blocks, you will lose 15-20% of your EVO composition screen, no matter how many authorizations you present to Autel, and in the 0 grid blocks, you should be in an NFZ, and have all of your screen blocked, based upon your prior posts.
View attachment 6440
It's basically the same grid system as the FAA's. If you fly legally and within parameters, you won't get the message. Thanks for confirming that.

1583761524721.png

Fun fact: The airport to the left isn't in the LAANC system, so you need a dronzone 90 days wait authorization to fly in that grid.

I was at a completely different airport when I turned on my drone at a 0' area. I marked it for you. I didn't dare take off, but I only got a NFZ message no bigger than the inaccurate gps position you get, before 8 satellite lock.
Screenshot_20200309-073534~2.png

It's basically the same grid system as the FAA's. If you fly legally and within parameters, you won't get the message. Thanks for confirming that.

View attachment 6442

Fun fact: The airport to the left isn't in the LAANC system, so you need a dronzone 90 days wait authorization to fly in that grid.

I was at a completely different airport when I turned on my drone at a 0' area. I marked it for you. I didn't dare take off, but I only got a NFZ message no bigger than the inaccurate gps position you get, before 8 satellite lock.
View attachment 6441
I think you are missing the point of the poster, who is 107 certified, and has authorizations to fly from the FAA within NFZ's and Altitude Zones, but cannot remove the Autel EVO warnings from the video/photo composition frame, but could otherwise do so, were he flying a DJI aircraft. The real problem is that Autel has no system for commercial flyers to remove the Autel screen obstructing warnings, which vary from 15% to complete obstruction of the composition screen.

Fun fact: Minimum of 12 satellites are required by DJI for unlocks to work.
Dealing with geofencing for commercial operators is challenging on both platforms.

Reactions: parkgt
I have never used FPV on my Evo. Where do you find clients that require this of you? I use a laptop for my clients. I screen mirror from my phone/tablet to my laptop so the client can see and ask for what they want. I fly most of the time alone, so FPV is not an option.
How on earth are you composing your photograph or video without using the FPV screen? When you fly alone, it is the only way to compose the shot and frame it precisely. Even switching to full screen mode on the EVO does not remove the obstructive warnings.

Reactions: parkgt
I think you are missing the point of the poster, who is 107 certified, and has authorizations to fly from the FAA within NFZ's and Altitude Zones, but cannot remove the Autel EVO warnings from the video/photo composition frame, but could otherwise do so, were he flying a DJI aircraft. The real problem is that Autel has no system for commercial flyers to remove the Autel screen obstructing warnings, which vary from 15% to complete obstruction of the composition screen.

Fun fact: Minimum of 12 satellites are required by DJI for unlocks to work.
Dealing with geofencing for commercial operators is challenging on both platforms.
So you are telling me that you have to fly all the time above the LAANC grid set ceilings for clients and your Evo keeps pestering you with the Altitude Restricted sign? How do you get these authorizations from the FAA so easily. From the 7 I have requested, only gotten approved once. When I asked my local FSDO about it, I was told that 90% of those get denied, since manned aircrafts have priority over drones.

How on earth are you composing your photograph or video without using the FPV screen? When you fly alone, it is the only way to compose the shot and frame it precisely. Even switching to full screen mode on the EVO does not remove the obstructive warnings.
If by FPV you mean looking at your phone/tablet, then yes, I use that. In this industry, FPV is when you use the goggles to make you feel as if you were in the drone. That was my misunderstanding.

But to summarize it. The solution to your problem is quite easy. Don't fly your Evo in controlled airspace. Use your DJI products. Leave your Evo for when you fly outside San Diego.

Since we have dragged your screen complaint more than we should've, let us focus on other stuff. What other complaint do you have?

So you are telling me that you have to fly all the time above the LAANC grid set ceilings for clients and your Evo keeps pestering you with the Altitude Restricted sign? How do you get these authorizations from the FAA so easily. From the 7 I have requested, only gotten approved once. When I asked my local FSDO about it, I was told that 90% of those get denied, since manned aircrafts have priority over drones.

If by FPV you mean looking at your phone/tablet, then yes, I use that. In this industry, FPV is when you use the goggles to make you feel as if you were in the drone. That was my misunderstanding.

But to summarize it. The solution to your problem is quite easy. Don't fly your Evo in controlled airspace. Use your DJI products. Leave your Evo for when you fly outside San Diego.

Since we have dragged your screen complaint more than we should've, let us focus on other stuff. What other complaint do you have?
I was simply answering the poster's questions about the annoying onscreen warnings that will block the FPV. This isn't about me. This is about any 107 certified commercial pilot, who has obtained all necessary authorizations from the FAA, but still cannot remove the Autel geofencing warnings from their screen. I am not flying in controlled airspace. Not sure where San Diego came from. I never mentioned it in any post! I think we have beaten this horse to death, now that your multiple misunderstandings have been corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d