Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My First Major Issue - Battery Indicator Stuck

herein2021

Reaction score
I am now on around flight number 20 or 30 with the EVO II Pro and I ran into my first major issue....the battery remaining percentage indicator got stuck at 100%. Fortunately I have been flying RC craft for so long that I still remember having to start my stopwatch on takeoff and that was the only way to know how much time you had left in the air or I could have lost my EVO today.

I took off as usual, this battery is one of 4 that I own and they have all been charged and discharged about 10x due to flying. I had been flying for about 15 min when I realized that the battery remaining percentage was still showing 100% and 33min remaining. At first I thought....this battery is finally breaking in and maybe 40 min is not a myth after all, but then common sense kicked in.

No way was the battery still full after 15 min of flying in the wind and in Ludicrous mode. As soon as I realized that, I flew it back and landed immediately.

I wanted to try to figure out where it got stuck so first I restarted the app, it still showed 100%, I then restarted the controller, still stuck, so I then looked at the battery itself which was still in the EVO and still powered on...the indicator lights showed 100%, lastly I rebooted the drone, the battery then finally updated and showed 40% remaining.

I think something in the battery was reporting the wrong percentage to the drone. This is definitely a problem that could make you lose your drone.

• Wow
Reactions: Zack Chery
next time you try the battery, just fly RC, no app. maybe do 2-3 lands and take offs monitoring the RC

I'm pretty sure there is a bug in the battery firmware, the app, controller, and the battery itself all showed 100%, if it were the app the controller would have shown the proper percentage, if it were the controller the battery indicator lights would have still shown the proper percentage.

This one was an obvious one, but now I am concerned that midflight it may stop registering the proper remaining percentage. It looks like I'll be taking along the stopwatch from now on and monitoring the time in the air as a backup in case the battery indicator gets stuck again.

was that displayed on both the app and the RC while flying?
The app, RC, and the indicator lights on the battery...all showed 100%. After powering off the battery and powering it back on (while it was still in the EVO)...the app, RC, and battery indicator lights all showed 40%.

Reactions: UasDriver
Did you report this one to Autel? This is pretty serious and people with less experience could be caught off guard, as who knows if the drone would be able to tell when to RTH or just drop. Could lead to an injury.

Did you report this one to Autel? This is pretty serious and people with less experience could be caught off guard, as who knows if the drone would be able to tell when to RTH or just drop. Could lead to an injury.

I plan on it, I am trying to repro it so that I can record a video of the issue. These days vendors don't seem to take you serious unless you get a full video of the issue occurring; otherwise they find a way to blame the user. So far 3 more batteries worth of flights and it hasn't done it again. I keep a close eye on the time remaining though; because I am not sure if it will suddenly stop reporting accurate levels half way into a flight which will be harder to detect.

I remember reading several threads on this forum about users flying and their remaining battery percentage suddenly dropped from 40% to 5% and I believe some of them lost their drone. I can definitely see that as a possibility if something like this happens.

Hmm... I noticed my battery lights did not go off after my charging hit 100% after updating the latest firmware. Even after taking them off the charger they stayed stuck on 100%, in other words all four lights remained on. I did get them to turn off by pushing the battery button. But now I'm wondering if there is more to this, I will need to go take a test flight.

It could be a button electrical contact or button movement mechanical issue. Try spraying a little contact cleaner around (into) the button.

Reactions: tvwxman
next time you try the battery, just fly RC, no app. maybe do 2-3 lands and take offs monitoring the RC
I would'nt do that if for some reason you have a fly away you wont have any flight record. of your flight as everything is stored in your cell phone it saves everything on your sd card so if you only use the screen on the RC control you wont have any record's may be if you find your drone they may be in there but im not sure

I would'nt do that
troubleshooting by elimination is a valid thing, did it for a living ;)
as to fly away, my sense is, the % is real low vs all flights. I'm lucky I got a "good one" outta the box, so i'll spend my google/apple money on a strap on GPS that has no "control" over my AC

troubleshooting by elimination is a valid thing, did it for a living ;)
as to fly away, my sense is, the % is real low vs all flights. I'm lucky I got a "good one" outta the box, so i'll spend my google/apple money on a strap on GPS that has no "control" over my AC

So far only happened once and I would estimate I've now put on around 10hrs of flight time and over 80 miles in the air with the EVO II. I do keep a very close eye on the time remaining and battery percentage though; I feel like next time it may stop the countdown at a percentage somewhere below 100%.

To date I've never lost a drone due to a flyaway so I've never seen the need for a locator not to mention here in FL if it did fly away it would most likely end up in water somewhere and be unrecoverable anyway.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials