Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

More Iphone updates, more problems......

slvervper99

Reaction score
So, we all know that the last Iphone update made our Star Link go bonkers.....does not detect the SD card, needs calibration blah, blah. So I received a new message for another update on my Ipad and Iphone -yes of course I read the description on what the updates were but (my hopeful self) thought, hhhmmmm, maybe this will also fix the Star Link app......nope - the update caused more problems.....when I get the chance, I will remove the update on my Iphone/Ipad back to where the Star Link works. I'm such an idiot, good thing is I cant fly my drone since it have been really freaking a$$ cold recently in Illinois, if the whether is warmer - it's damp due to the fog and drizzle. But here is the new problem with the new Apple update, it also states now that the battery is "Cold" and needs to be warmed up.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 18
So, we all know that the last Iphone update made our Star Link go bonkers.....does not detect the SD card, needs calibration blah, blah. So I received a new message for another update on my Ipad and Iphone -yes of course I read the description on what the updates were but (my hopeful self) thought, hhhmmmm, maybe this will also fix the Star Link app......nope - the update caused more problems.....when I get the chance, I will remove the update on my Iphone/Ipad back to where the Star Link works. I'm such an idiot, good thing is I cant fly my drone since it have been really freaking a$$ cold recently in Illinois, if the whether is warmer - it's damp due to the fog and drizzle. But here is the new problem with the new Apple update, it also states now that the battery is "Cold" and needs to be warmed up.

That was before the 11.2 iOS update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been getting that lately and I have an Android Galaxy Tab A.

There is some sort of new iOS beta out. If you are a iOS beta tester you should be able to give it a try. Other then that I have no other info.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I've been getting that lately and I have an Android Galaxy Tab A.
Your other issues you described are not a problem with an android device. Here's the deal... If you want to fly it without those problems go android... or go back to the iOS that gave you the lesser problems. Apple will not fix what you are having problems with while running Starlink. Autel has just dropped the bomb on any future updates to the XSP because it has moved on to their latest greatest new drone, the EVO! If you want less frustration using Starlink with your XP then get an Android device that is listed compatable with Starlink. I don't think you will find anyone with a fix for your issues using the latest iOS software. I know it sucks but you can still fly it with the right setup! Good luck!

Your other issues you described are not a problem with an android device. Here's the deal... If you want to fly it without those problems go android... or go back to the iOS that gave you the lesser problems. Apple will not fix what you are having problems with while running Starlink. Autel has just dropped the bomb on any future updates to the XSP because it has moved on to their latest greatest new drone, the EVO!
That's a bummer, I wonder though since the EVO (just based on the video) looks like it also uses a tablet or a smart phone for the video feed, wouldn't they develop an app for that as well, maybe a StarLink version that would work with the EVO and maybe will also work with the XSP. But I guess that would take a while since the EVO is not in the market at this time. Just hate to buy an Android tablet just for flying the drone, I do a lot with my Ipad. But in hindsight, if I can't fly the drone, then it's an $800 paperweight. Oi !!!!!:(, guess I'll be going back to the IOs that works with the Starlink at least for now.

That's a bummer, I wonder though since the EVO (just based on the video) looks like it also uses a tablet or a smart phone for the video feed, wouldn't they develop an app for that as well, maybe a StarLink version that would work with the EVO and maybe will also work with the XSP. But I guess that would take a while since the EVO is not in the market at this time. Just hate to buy an Android tablet just for flying the drone, I do a lot with my Ipad. But in hindsight, if I can't fly the drone, then it's an $800 paperweight. Oi !!!!!:(, guess I'll be going back to the IOs that works with the Starlink at least for now.
Hey you can fly it with out any device you just won't see what your XP sees but I do admit Starlink does add an easy way to get the best out of flying the XP.

It seems they are putting out a whole new app for the Evo. From their website:

"Connect a compatible iOS or Android device with the AUTEL EXPLORER™ APP for more features. Access autonomous flight modes such as Orbit, GPS Follow, Dynamic Track, Viewpoint, and Waypoint mission planning, and customize settings to your personal preference."

Its a different ball they are playing with so yes it needs a different App. It will also communicate differently to the APP. It will use native communications stack and not iAP2 so it will not have the same issues that is affecting the Apple iOS operating system.

For what it's worth, I updated my iPad Pro to 11.1 and no further. The only thing I have noticed was the "cold battery" warning but have not had any other problems flying my XSP. I always do a backup of the iPad(s) and iPhones before updating their software but bad weather and other projects kept me from updating beyond iOS 11.1 before reading about the Star Link compatibility problems. Obviously, the easiest fix would be to downgrade back to 11.1 but too many people don't bother to backup their iPads, or don't have a computer to backup to. Bummer...

A while back Autel worked on this app, called HECTOR. At first they said it would only support new craft (post XStar). Then came back and said it would support all craft...

I designed a mobile app for autonomous drone flight and aerial photography missions
From the history I read, Hector was commissioned by AUTEL to create an app for advanced mission planning and execution. There were a team of several people on the project, they all claim to be the "creator". Hector was turned over to AUTEL long ago and simply disappeared. I contacted on of the members and she told me they are all perplexed that it never saw the light of day. My guess is that it was an "idea" that fell to the editing floor for one reason or another.

That's "one" story anyway.

I too was having the missing SD Card with IOS devices.

Here is what I did and how to get it to recognize. I worked with Autel to get it up and running.

I had to update my IOS devices to 11.2.5
Apple Beta Software Program

Update firmware on the XSP
Downloads | Autel Robotics

I found a startup procedure was key to get it to recognize

1 turn on controller
2 turn in XSP
3 launch starlink app (without USB connected)
4 once app loads, then connect USB
5 if it doesn’t recognize the SD, unplug USB and Wait 2-3 seconds
6 replug in USB (device should “ding”)

This works EVERY time for me.

Reactions: eerie54
Apple just went to 11.2.5

This solve all the IOS issues!!!!!!!!!!!

Go get it, link To beta above

Yup just updated to 11.2.5, still have some quirks but otherwise works now. Have to recalibrate the bird and reformat the SD card which is no big issue for me but yes, it does work again.

Reactions: Wrsdas

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791