Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Looking for evaluations by any commercial pilots experiences with the EVO

jcommstudios

Reaction score
Website
jcommstudios.com
I've been flying Yuneec muti-rotors for the past couple of years after ditching "that other companies" products. I picked up an EVO a couple of months ago and am amazed at its performance and video quality. Although not to impressive, size wise for, the clients with "Big Bird" complex I love the look of its 4k 60p. Have you used your EVO in a commercial production and how was it received by your clients?

Having just got my first drone, I'm the opposite of a pro operator but I'm a pixel nerd and have edited high res images for print and plenty of video for commercial use. So when looking for a camera drone, I spent 8 months looking at other people's stills and videos and downloaded as many raw files as I could find - albeit my universe was restricted because I wanted a drone which could be flown without an attached mobile device.

After studying stills and footage from various sources, including early EVO stuff, I decided that the Yuneec H+ was the best of a moderate bunch; but I was unhappy with the antialiasing artifacts and pan stutter in its video footage and its horribly oversharpened in-camera JPEGs was waiting for a firmware update to improve these things.

But then Autel came out with an EVO firmware update a couple of months ago which blew me away in terms of the improvements it brought in yaw and tilt smoothness, colour depth, clarity and artifact reduction. And their in-camera JPEGs were hugely superior to the H+ and around one-third of the file size. So I went out and bought me an EVO - which was a mission as it isn't distributed in the UK.

I'm delighted with it (although still figuring out how to use it) - and still scratching my head as to how Autel have delivered superior 4k images through a smaller sensor. I know they spent many hours perfecting their algorithms, colour profiles, etc but surely Yuneec and others (try to) do that as well?

Anyway, if I were trying to produce professional 4k video or stills with a sub-$2k drone, I would value the image quality above all else - making the EVO the obvious choice (of those with an integral screen) imho. But the H+ is a more versatile tool and would be better suited to many commercial applications where image quality is not the only concern. And one day, Yuneec may figure out what they need to do with their camera to catch Autel up.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Having just got my first drone, I'm the opposite of a pro operator but I'm a pixel nerd and have edited high res images for print and plenty of video for commercial use. So when looking for a camera drone, I spent 8 months looking at other people's stills and videos and downloaded as many raw files as I could find - albeit my universe was restricted because I wanted a drone which could be flown without an attached mobile device.

After studying stills and footage from various sources, including early EVO stuff, I decided that the Yuneec H+ was the best of a moderate bunch; but I was unhappy with the antialiasing artifacts and pan stutter in its video footage and its horribly oversharpened in-camera JPEGs was waiting for a firmware update to improve these things.

But then Autel came out with an EVO firmware update a couple of months ago which blew me away in terms of the improvements it brought in yaw and tilt smoothness, colour depth, clarity and artifact reduction. And their in-camera JPEGs were hugely superior to the H+ and around one-third of the file size. So I went out and bought me an EVO - which was a mission as it isn't distributed in the UK.

I'm delighted with it (although still figuring out how to use it) - and still scratching my head as to how Autel have delivered superior 4k images through a smaller sensor. I know they spent many hours perfecting their algorithms, colour profiles, etc but surely Yuneec and others (try to) do that as well?

Anyway, if I were trying to produce professional 4k video or stills with a sub-$2k drone, I would value the image quality above all else - making the EVO the obvious choice (of those with an integral screen) imho. But the H+ is a more versatile tool and would be better suited to many commercial applications where image quality is not the only concern. And one day, Yuneec may figure out what they need to do with their camera to catch Autel up.
I agree @YuKay . Although I have delved into the H's camera settings and always lock WB and set EV manually I get some pretty nice results. I was blown away after my first EVO flight at how good the camera is for a 1/2.3 inch sensor. Shooting a fair amount of agriculture video with the H I am always concerned with the aliasing especially flying a row of crops etc. I can reduce it in post but the EVO has been artifact free right out of the box. I have edited footage from the H Plus, DJI P4+ (both 1" sensors) and the standard H and none of them are as good as the footage with the EVO. I have some examples on my Vimeo page at James Johnston - jcommstudios. The EVO shooting at 60 frames encoded to 1080p just beats them all hands down. On the other hand the H does have some great features the EVO doesn't. It's always a trade off!

Reactions: YuKay

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raeveren