Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Line-of-Sight past 1 mile?

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
We all know the FAA rule about keeping drones in LOS. Even under idea conditions I can’t honestly say I can see my bright orange XSP past 1 mile, and an XSP is easier to see than an EVO/Mavic/Anafi. Sometimes at dusk I can see it a mile+ away b/c of the blinking lights against a dark sky, but not in daylight. If your eyes glance down at the RC for a second, you look-up and it’s gone.

Watching distance reviews of EVO/Mavic/Anafi on YouTube — the pilots can’t see those smaller drones out 2 miles, can they? I’ve never seen any of them use spotters either. Can any of you REALLY see your drone past a mile? :)

I glued a big lighted stogie that I can see its smoke and follow its smell should it decide to land before I say so. :rolleyes::D

• Haha
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I’m amazed that so many pilots have superhuman vision.

According to information given as part of the CASA (Australian equivalent of FAA) Remote Pilot Licence exam, ‘the perfect human eye’ would be able to see an object sized 300mm2 at up to 1,000 metres. Given that a Phantom 4 is about half that size (150mm2), it should be visible only up to 500 metres. That was my answer and it got the tick. While the Evo is smaller, maybe the colour changes the equation :oops:

Last edited:
I’m amazed that so many pilots have superhuman vision.

According to information given as part of the CASA (Australian equivalent of FAA) Remote Pilot Licence exam, ‘the perfect human eye’ would be able to see an object sized 300mm2 at up to 1,000 metres. Given that a Phantom 4 is about half that size (150mm2), it should be visible only up to 500 metres. That was my answer and it got the tick. While the Evo is smaller, maybe the colour changes the equation :oops:
This is about right. I lose sight of the Evo in around the 300m area.

Wonder if anyone makes a small, self-powered strobe light that would fit the Evo. I’ve seen something on the Phantom, but it has much longer legs. Also, you’d need to be able to position it so that it did not interfere with the camera exposure.

Wonder if anyone makes a small, self-powered strobe light that would fit the Evo. I’ve seen something on the Phantom, but it has much longer legs. Also, you’d need to be able to position it so that it did not interfere with the camera exposure.
Use the Mavic's version. Should fit the Evo just fine.

We have these one on Amazon.ca and cheap but .com shows unavailable .

Reactions: Nightbat2
Use the Mavic's version. Should fit the Evo just fine.
Didn’t realise anyone did them for the Mavic so yes, probably would work. Think I’d be inclined to place one near the rear end so that I’d didn’t affect the video. What do you think?

Didn’t realise anyone did them for the Mavic so yes, probably would work. Think I’d be inclined to place one near the rear end so that I’d didn’t affect the video. What do you think?
I would place them in the front leg, facing backwards. This way it will flash backward and not affect the camera, but iluminating the most area. I plan on installing 2. 1 red and 1 green like on an airplane.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I would place them in the front leg, facing backwards. This way it will flash backward and not affect the camera, but iluminating the most area. I plan on installing 2. 1 red and 1 green like on an airplane.
Have checked out Firehouse Technology. They look the goods.

Thanks. They look good. Will check to see if they ship to Australia.
These look interesting to say the least. I have a question though: The ads say that the strobs are visible up to 3 miles (night), but no mention of daylight.
Does anyone know how far visible in daylight? And what color would be most visible?
Actually, that is 2 questions.
butch

These look interesting to say the least. I have a question though: The ads say that the strobs are visible up to 3 miles (night), but no mention of daylight.
Does anyone know how far visible in daylight? And what color would be most visible?
Actually, that is 2 questions.
butch
They should be visible against dark backgrounds and in low light.. According to the website, White is the most visible.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials