Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Who Knew Flying a Drone Keeps You in Shape!

drrags

Reaction score
I'm new to flying drones and video in general. I do a lot of night-time photography and I'm learning that anything I know doesn't apply. For example, a camera can take a pic at night by increasing the exposure time and can even make it look like day (see below). A video camera apparently does not.

I was flying the drone at around 11:00 pm under a full moon the other night and the display showed nothing but black. I was hoping that when I looked at the footage later, it would show something. It does not. I was flying towards the two peaks (Needle Point, near Pyramid Lake, NV) and I plowed right into one of the peaks. Number one: I thought the peaks were further away and bigger. They were not. They were smaller and much closer. Imagine my surprise when I saw the explosion of red and green lights! Second, and I knew this; OA does not work in the dark.

It was a long and strenuous climb to retrieve my Evo 2, but it was easy to find because it never turned off the flashing LEDs, thank you very much :) I could see it from 1/2 mile away. It wrecked all 4 propellors and I have some nicks in the body, but the gimbal seems to initialize ok and I can see through the camera on my display. $40 in propellors is a small price to pay I think.

IMG_3846.jpeg
My target.

IMG_3887.jpeg
Yay for flashing lights!

IMG_2586.jpeg
Feeling better now!

IMG_3905.jpeg
It was a great view from up there and one I didn't plan on working that hard for. It's about midnight now. I slept like a baby that night.

I smacked my Evo 2 into a rock at 22 mph. It fell between 15 and 20 feet onto the rocks below. It got a couple of scratches and all 4 props were damaged. That's all.

I just got my new props and did a test. The camera takes pics and vids, the horizon is still level, I couldn't run it into anything, it returned home like it should, and flew around like the way I expected it to.

I've read people say it flies like a truck, but all I can say is it's built like a truck

Thanks for sharing. It's really nice to hear a good story like this once in a while. Autel seems to be tougher than most drones. We used to say our XSP's were built like tanks. ?

Reactions: BeeRAD56 and drrags

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles