Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Legality of taking pictures / video with a drone in NJ

resq3129

Reaction score
I am curious if I take pictures / videos with my drone can someone demand compensation for their likeness being used?
Scenario..
If I am taking video / photographs of my teenager son playing Lacrosse and the video / photographs have other children in them can a parent demand compensation for the images of their child if i post the the pictures / videos on a Facebook page, website, etc?
The reason i ask is that I took video and pictures at a scrimmage game and I was informed by a little birdie that one of the parents was going to seek compensation if i posted the pictures / videos. Keep in mind that these pictures / videos are taken in a public place (Borough / Town Park).
If anyone has the answer to this I would be greatly appreciative.
P.S.
The person who runs the Lacrosse program regularly takes pictures of the kids playing and post them on the Facebook page for the league, He knows I am taking the pictures and I offered them to him free of charge at times for the page and i also use them on my website and pictures / videos are watermarked in the corner.

Not sure about NJ laws but there is no expectation of privacy in a public place. If your not getting any compensation I don’t see where Any compensation is required to a third party. Just thinking out loud. I may be wrong. If it were me, I would fly at all of them.

Reactions: Nightbat2 and Ansia
I am curious if I take pictures / videos with my drone can someone demand compensation for their likeness being used?
Scenario..
If I am taking video / photographs of my teenager son playing Lacrosse and the video / photographs have other children in them can a parent demand compensation for the images of their child if i post the the pictures / videos on a Facebook page, website, etc?
The reason i ask is that I took video and pictures at a scrimmage game and I was informed by a little birdie that one of the parents was going to seek compensation if i posted the pictures / videos. Keep in mind that these pictures / videos are taken in a public place (Borough / Town Park).
If anyone has the answer to this I would be greatly appreciative.
P.S.
The person who runs the Lacrosse program regularly takes pictures of the kids playing and post them on the Facebook page for the league, He knows I am taking the pictures and I offered them to him free of charge at times for the page and i also use them on my website and pictures / videos are watermarked in the corner.
If you were doing this commercially releases for both individuals and properties would be appropriate.
Since you are doing it as a hobbyist it is not necessary. Basically your are just going through the "Travel Team Karen" syndrome. lol
Just be careful that you are observing any FAA rules like not flying over people etc. Here is short blurb I found the explains your rights.
The Photographer's Rights
When in public spaces where you are lawfully present you have the right to photograph anything that is in plain view. When you are on private property, the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. ... Police may not delete your photographs or videos under any circumstances.May 20, 2015
There is lots of info regarding these types of situations. Google ..Laws for hobbyist photographers

Not sure about NJ laws but there is no expectation of privacy in a public place. If your not getting any compensation I don’t see where Any compensation is required to a third party. Just thinking out loud. I may be wrong. If it were me, I would fly at all of them.
Much the same in Oz.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58