Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Just the basic hobbie flying question

I think all of the online platforms re-encode everything. In most cases, they encode several different copies with different data rates and resolutions, then match them to the bandwidth they sense going to the viewer system. That’s why it’s so important to upload as lightly compresses a version as your upload bandwidth will allow. I usually upload a 25Mbit h.264 file to Vimeo or YouTube, but occasionally, if quality is especially important, I’ll upload a ProRes file. Their compressed streaming files look a bit better. (Or at least they do in my so-called mind. ?)

Oh I agree, they actually create usually up to 12 different formats. I once tried to host all of the formats on my own web server to accommodate the native formats for Android, Apple, Windows, cell phones, tablets, desktops, then 4K monitors and it was nearly impossible. All of the platforms transcode but there are tricks to getting the best quality.

For example, YouTube uses a higher quality codec if you upload a video with at least 2K resolution, they will also give you better results if you stick to 16:9 aspect ratios, etc. The sweet spot that I have found is to shoot at 4K30 or 60FPS in H.265 edit on a 1080P timeline so that I can recompose in post, then upscale to 2K prior to uploading to YouTube to get the better codecs.

Oh I agree, they actually create usually up to 12 different formats. I once tried to host all of the formats on my own web server to accommodate the native formats for Android, Apple, Windows, cell phones, tablets, desktops, then 4K monitors and it was nearly impossible. All of the platforms transcode but there are tricks to getting the best quality.

For example, YouTube uses a higher quality codec if you upload a video with at least 2K resolution, they will also give you better results if you stick to 16:9 aspect ratios, etc. The sweet spot that I have found is to shoot at 4K30 or 60FPS in H.265 edit on a 1080P timeline so that I can recompose in post, then upscale to 2K prior to uploading to YouTube to get the better codecs.
That’s interesting. I’ll have to try that. FWIW, in Resolve, you could just change the timeline resolution to 2k for the output, and since you’re downscaling from 4K probably improve quality just a shade more.

Reactions: herein2021
That’s interesting. I’ll have to try that. FWIW, in Resolve, you could just change the timeline resolution to 2k for the output, and since you’re downscaling from 4K probably improve quality just a shade more.

The problem though is that you then couldn't losslessly recompose up to 2x. I use a 1080P timeline to ensure that I get 2x recompose capabilities. I shoot a lot of events and fashion shows where the camera has to free run while I'm manning other equipment, so being able to losslessly crop up to 2x is important to me. So by using a 1080P timeline I get maximum recompose flexibility and by upscaling to 2K I get maximum YouTube quality.

The problem though is that you then couldn't losslessly recompose up to 2x. I use a 1080P timeline to ensure that I get 2x recompose capabilities. I shoot a lot of events and fashion shows where the camera has to free run while I'm manning other equipment, so being able to losslessly crop up to 2x is important to me. So by using a 1080P timeline I get maximum recompose flexibility and by upscaling to 2K I get maximum YouTube quality.
You could still edit on a 1080 timeline. But if you change the resolution to 2K when you output for YouTube, Resolve would scale everything once, rather than downscaling then uprezzing for the 2K. I'd everything it would benefit just a bit—even the scenes that are recomposed at 2x.

You could still edit on a 1080 timeline. But if you change the resolution to 2K when you output for YouTube, Resolve would scale everything once, rather than downscaling then uprezzing for the 2K. I'd everything it would benefit just a bit—even the scenes that are recomposed at 2x.

I will have to do some testing, I am not sure that the timeline resolution will matter since DR knows the original resolution and the final output is driven by the Output scaling options (see Chapter 5 Page 120 of the DR 17 Reference Manual), and I still think this will break the timeline re-composition settings.

UPDATE

OK I did some testing, this method will not work, if you change the timeline to 2K before you render the crop and composition will break. So for example if you are on a 1080P timeline and recomposed by 2x with the scaling set to Crop, then change the timeline resolution to 2K, the crop will change as well and completely change the composition. So yes, the best way to do it is the way I currently do it, edit on a 1080HD timeline, and use output scaling to control the final resolution.

DR does have a super scale option which I have never tried, and which may let me upscale to 4K but due to the additional render time I have never tested it. I've seen some 1080HD footage upscaled to 4K that looked really good as long as the clip was only a few seconds and no one would notice the difference; this is a trick people use when they want 4K120FPS but their camera only shoots 4K60FPS..they drop down to 1080HD and use VFR to get 120FPS then upscale to 4K during the output render.

Last edited:
I will have to do some testing, I am not sure that the timeline resolution will matter since DR knows the original resolution and the final output is driven by the Output scaling options (see Chapter 5 Page 120 of the DR 17 Reference Manual), and I still think this will break the timeline re-composition settings.

UPDATE

OK I did some testing, this method will not work, if you change the timeline to 2K before you render the crop and composition will break. So for example if you are on a 1080P timeline and recomposed by 2x with the scaling set to Crop, then change the timeline resolution to 2K, the crop will change as well and completely change the composition. So yes, the best way to do it is the way I currently do it, edit on a 1080HD timeline, and use output scaling to control the final resolution.

DR does have a super scale option which I have never tried, and which may let me upscale to 4K but due to the additional render time I have never tested it. I've seen some 1080HD footage upscaled to 4K that looked really good as long as the clip was only a few seconds and no one would notice the difference; this is a trick people use when they want 4K120FPS but their camera only shoots 4K60FPS..they drop down to 1080HD and use VFR to get 120FPS then upscale to 4K during the output render.
That surprises me. I change the timeline res to go between 1080 and 4K all the time. I’ll have to look at those settings when I’m at the computer to see if I can figure what’s up.

That surprises me. I change the timeline res to go between 1080 and 4K all the time. I’ll have to look at those settings when I’m at the computer to see if I can figure what’s up.

If you have the clip's scaling option set to fit, fill, or project settings when the source footage is 4K and you drop down to 1080 then you won't see a difference, but if you select crop which is what I need when I recompose, the crop will change the composition when you change the timeline resolution.

fwiw, I do all edits at native, so 4k, then I render for "purpose" so 2K for me, 1080p for online

fwiw, I do all edits at native, so 4k, then I render for "purpose" so 2K for me, 1080p for online

That works if you do not have to recompose, actually for videos where all of the footage is properly composed at 4K I deliver at 4K. But when I have to shoot with the cameras free running recomposing really comes in handy.

Ya, recomposing is past the point of "fun" i shoot from takeoff to land, then tweak color, crop scenes, stitch together, be DONE!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller