Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Various EVO II Questions

handcar

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a recent Evo II Pro owner. I have been flying a Phantom 4 for several years, and a year ago I finally got my 107 license. I wanted to upgrade to something better then, but there just wasn't anything out there worth upgrading to. Came close to pulling the trigger on an Inspire 2, but the short flight time turned me off. Further, the constant requirement for DJI to login when flying and firmware sent me over the edge that I really wanted to avoid DJI. I have been looking for a drone that has a large image sensor and preferably one with interchangeable lenses. While the EVO II does does not offer the ability to change lenses, its compact size makes it more manageable for transport than the pterodactyl that is the Inspire. I have some questions that perhaps some of you could answer:

1. The reason I wanted the Inspire was ability to change lenses is so that I could use higher focal lengths lenses. The EVO II offers a zoom capability that from what I understand crops the resolution. I am not sure if I am saying that right. My question is do I need to use a certain resolution setting to use this feature to the fullest extent? Is this feature only effective if I am shooting at a lower resolution such as 1080, or can I shoot at 4k?

2. Range extending antennas. I have a range extender that I installed on my Phantom 4. It was quite a project as I had to open up the remote and solder connectors on. It worked really well and I am considering installing one on my EVO II. Anyone have a directional antenna on their EVO II and is it working well for them?

3. Are there any good alternatives to the CrystalSky monitor? I have been using an ipad for my Phantom, but it was always a pain at anytime other than sunset or cloudy days. Just can't see it, and the sunshields was marginally better. I am looking at the CrystalSky, but the reviews from when it came out were dismal. Did DJI improve it over the years? Also, if I do go this route, High Brightness or Ultra?

4. Can this drone be used for mapmaking? I used Maps Made Easy's app on my Phantom 4, but I do not see EVOs drones on the supported list. I believe I read somewhere that drones without mechanical shutters don't work for mapping applications. Anyone provide insight into this?

Now, if I could only get an ND filter set.

Todd

Hello,

I am a recent Evo II Pro owner. I have been flying a Phantom 4 for several years, and a year ago I finally got my 107 license. I wanted to upgrade to something better then, but there just wasn't anything out there worth upgrading to. Came close to pulling the trigger on an Inspire 2, but the short flight time turned me off. Further, the constant requirement for DJI to login when flying and firmware sent me over the edge that I really wanted to avoid DJI. I have been looking for a drone that has a large image sensor and preferably one with interchangeable lenses. While the EVO II does does not offer the ability to change lenses, its compact size makes it more manageable for transport than the pterodactyl that is the Inspire. I have some questions that perhaps some of you could answer:

1. The reason I wanted the Inspire was ability to change lenses is so that I could use higher focal lengths lenses. The EVO II offers a zoom capability that from what I understand crops the resolution. I am not sure if I am saying that right. My question is do I need to use a certain resolution setting to use this feature to the fullest extent? Is this feature only effective if I am shooting at a lower resolution such as 1080, or can I shoot at 4k?

2. Range extending antennas. I have a range extender that I installed on my Phantom 4. It was quite a project as I had to open up the remote and solder connectors on. It worked really well and I am considering installing one on my EVO II. Anyone have a directional antenna on their EVO II and is it working well for them?

3. Are there any good alternatives to the CrystalSky monitor? I have been using an ipad for my Phantom, but it was always a pain at anytime other than sunset or cloudy days. Just can't see it, and the sunshields was marginally better. I am looking at the CrystalSky, but the reviews from when it came out were dismal. Did DJI improve it over the years? Also, if I do go this route, High Brightness or Ultra?

4. Can this drone be used for mapmaking? I used Maps Made Easy's app on my Phantom 4, but I do not see EVOs drones on the supported list. I believe I read somewhere that drones without mechanical shutters don't work for mapping applications. Anyone provide insight into this?

Now, if I could only get an ND filter set.

Todd

Hello Todd,

Although I use the Evo Pro, I’ll let others comment with the camera’s zoom feature and CrystalSky monitor. I do use zoom, but I’m not experienced enough with camera settings to give you the information you’re needing. With the monitor, I use the IPad 7 with 10.2 screen. Works for me, and recently started using a Tri-pod to mount controller, iPad and booster amplifier for long flight research missions.

I can recommend a booster amplifier, and it’s probably the best choice for Evo 2. Highly recommend you get the Alientech Pro 2.4 GHz amplifier, it’ll double range in areas with inference and in areas with maximum range fly at super low elevation. It’ll boost the transmission signal over the Mavic 2 osucsync 2, I also own a Mavic 2 Pro and with Evo 2 fitted with Alientech Pro with Alientech Pro hands down Evo 2 transmission signal is stronger than Mavic 2 Pro osucsync 2.

I’ll attach a few pictures, plus when an amplifier is not needed you can use smaller whip antennas which are better than stock antennas.

Hope others will chime in with the questions I couldn’t answer, I’ve learned do much from other forum members you’ve come to get right place.

All the best,
Paul

2CA9E3A9-EC63-4EA1-BBF0-7AD7C528E3BF.jpeg11C61C65-4FC3-4929-8B22-FA000B5E8F4B.jpeg514EA713-D42C-4F1C-BBB2-42FAD43F2B9A.jpeg

Reactions: advexure
Want to add, Now that I use an amplifier. Had to fabricate and Mount iPad mount different, kind of crude but work’s for me.

The Alientech Pro amplifier is very small and light, you won’t need a Tri-Pod but with a CrystalSky mounted tri-pod are nice for long flights especially with a stool to sit on.
Paul

D20342F1-AE2F-46E0-8BE6-D823C1961861.jpeg

Thanks for the advice on the Alientech and I will plan on getting a set. It is frustrating that these sorts of antennas are not built into the stock product.

Thanks for the advice on the Alientech and I will plan on getting a set. It is frustrating that these sorts of antennas are not built into the stock product.

I wouldn't want something that bulky to be stock. What is a shame is that Autel doesn't have a system as effective as Occusync 2.0.

I wouldn't want something that bulky to be stock. What is a shame is that Autel doesn't have a system as effective as Occusync 2.0.
Hello parkgt,

If Autel will make another controller, maybe it’ll have that extra boosted signal that will at least match Osucsync 2 keeping the controller light and balanced. Stock Evo 2 controllers transmission signal is great in open areas, it’s in areas with rough terrain or WiFi inference it looses signal strength.

Evo 2 Controller needs a slight signal bump, that’s all it’s almost there. I was hesitant at first getting the Alientech Pro amplifier setup, from past experiences with boosters with other controllers were not that great. The Alientech Pro with Evo 2 controller, boy did it surprise it’s simply amazing how much it boosted the signal.

Happy flying,
Paul

Reactions: parkgt
Hello parkgt,

If Autel will make another controller, maybe it’ll have that extra boosted signal that will at least match Osucsync 2 keeping the controller light and balanced. Stock Evo 2 controllers transmission signal is great in open areas, it’s in areas with rough terrain or WiFi inference it looses signal strength.

Evo 2 Controller needs a slight signal bump, that’s all it’s almost there. I was hesitant at first getting the Alientech Pro amplifier setup, from past experiences with boosters with other controllers were not that great. The Alientech Pro with Evo 2 controller, boy did it surprise it’s simply amazing how much it boosted the signal.

Happy flying,
Paul

I fly mostly in rural areas and when I do need to work in more urban areas for 107 jobs it is close in. I have yet to see the need for add-ons, but that may change.

Foe map making, the Aulel Explorer app has Mission section that you can setup an area to scan over. If you want cross grid pattern, you can make two passes using a different angle. It let's you set the camera angle to get different perspective. You will need to manually take more horizontal shots for 3D. I am not an expert mapper, but it seems if you fly slower, and use a high shutter speed, seems like that would be sufficient.

For ND filters, you don't need them as much for photography and since the Pro camera has an adjustable Iris. Having a circular Polarized lens would be nice to have over water. I haven't seen any yet.

Have fun.w

Hello Todd,

Although I use the Evo Pro, I’ll let others comment with the camera’s zoom feature and CrystalSky monitor. I do use zoom, but I’m not experienced enough with camera settings to give you the information you’re needing. With the monitor, I use the IPad 7 with 10.2 screen. Works for me, and recently started using a Tri-pod to mount controller, iPad and booster amplifier for long flight research missions.

I can recommend a booster amplifier, and it’s probably the best choice for Evo 2. Highly recommend you get the Alientech Pro 2.4 GHz amplifier, it’ll double range in areas with inference and in areas with maximum range fly at super low elevation. It’ll boost the transmission signal over the Mavic 2 osucsync 2, I also own a Mavic 2 Pro and with Evo 2 fitted with Alientech Pro with Alientech Pro hands down Evo 2 transmission signal is stronger than Mavic 2 Pro osucsync 2.

I’ll attach a few pictures, plus when an amplifier is not needed you can use smaller whip antennas which are better than stock antennas.

Hope others will chime in with the questions I couldn’t answer, I’ve learned do much from other forum members you’ve come to get right place.

All the best,
Paul

View attachment 7945View attachment 7946View attachment 7947
Hey, I got the alien tech but do you have a link or name of the antennas you're using? Greatly appreciated.

Hey, I got the alien tech but do you have a link or name of the antennas you're using? Greatly appreciated.
You’ll need the quick connect adapters to mount onto the Alientech Tech Pro quick connects , plus two antennas.

If memory serves me right, Covert Drones has them and sponsors this site. Plus, you’ll need to fabricate a piece of plastic to connect both antennas from swinging sideways.

here’s a picture, Hope this helps.

Paul

FAFB022A-DB68-496A-8A45-2164EFAE05D0.jpeg

Reactions: ProfessorZ
Hi, sorry to come late to the conversation. What is connecting the controller to the tripod mount?
Thanks, nice set-up.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58