Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

iPhone or Android Battery Usage with Explorer

MattMPA

Reaction score
Well guys, I tried my wife's Galaxy j7 and my iPhone 8 and both used (in my opinion) substantial battery power for a short flight. Over the course of 15 minutes flying with my iPhone, the Explorer app used about 10% of the battery. I do have a shortcut built that opens the app and maximizes the screen brightness. I know screen brightness plays a huge role in using up a battery. The phone also gets warm to the touch.

I'd be thankful for your thoughts about your device's batter usage while using the Explorer app.

How long was your flight, in order to use 10% of battery? My phone does get really hot, but I have never used more than 2% per battery. I use a Pixel 4 XL (horrible battery life and I really do not recommend it).

According to the log, under 8 minutes. Phone was warm. Max screen brightness, but I don’t know if that would count as app usage.

I had a new battery put in the phone today. According to the phone, the Explorer app used 40%...more than any other app.

confirmed. Just took about an eight minute flight, and used 8% of my battery. From 30% to 22%. This time I did not have the screen brightness up.

Last edited:
Does your phone's battery hold charge like it used to? Both the J7 and iPhone 8 are more than 3 years old.

It did seem to be losing a bit for the last little while. I checked the battery health, showed @ 85%.

I put a new battery in today...which has yet to charge.

I'll charge it overnight and try again tomorrow.

FWIW, I flew the Mini around a bit to check. I flew for 11 minutes. Under the Battery info, it says Explorer used 40%; Phone used 20%, and DJI Fly used 9%.....

It did seem to be losing a bit for the last little while. I checked the battery health, showed @ 85%.

I put a new battery in today...which has yet to charge.

I'll charge it overnight and try again tomorrow.

FWIW, I flew the Mini around a bit to check. I flew for 11 minutes. Under the Battery info, it says Explorer used 40%; Phone used 20%, and DJI Fly used 9%.....
I have never used DJI Fly, but DJI Go 4 is more power hungry than Explorer app.

DJI Fly app requires a 64 bit OS so it's probably even more power hungry. Or should be.

Well guys...a bit of a an update. I tried my wife's Galaxy J7 today. I flew with Explorer for about 10 minutes and had very little battery usage on her phone. Makes me wonder why the iPhone is using so much power.

I have contacted Autel Tech Support, and they were going to have the engineers review.

I'm not an Android guy...but if I could get one with a bright screen....that was affordable...I'd get one just for use with the Autel.

Well guys...a bit of a an update. I tried my wife's Galaxy J7 today. I flew with Explorer for about 10 minutes and had very little battery usage on her phone. Makes me wonder why the iPhone is using so much power.

I have contacted Autel Tech Support, and they were going to have the engineers review.

I'm not an Android guy...but if I could get one with a bright screen....that was affordable...I'd get one just for use with the Autel.
Get a Galaxy S8. They go for around $150 and are 1000 nits.

I'll look into that, thanks. Figures I ordered a USB to Lightning short cable last week....

Heavy pink burn in. Nobody wants that.
Those things are 350-400 all day good.

That's more like the pricing I have found. I may be better having an older, dedicated iPhone Plus. If I could find a way (and I'm working it) to mount a tablet, I'd use an iPad.

Thanks Ansia....that's about what I was finding in the $150 range, too. Those listings say the screen burn doesn't affect "functionality", but I use mine for video...so it may indeed be a problem in my use.

Screen burn seems to be a problem on a lot of the used Samsung phones I see listed for sale.

I didn't read the description. Sorry. I have seen a few in good working order in the $150, but in my local craiglist. I have bought a few of them. I did a search on eBay and posted the first one that came out.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials