Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Insurance I would recommend

REC

Reaction score
I was flying my evo through trees (cause that is what I have), I was probably 30 feet from my take off spot. It had been beeping so much that I did not notice the low battery warning until very late. I did not react quickly enough and it went straight up. It was still under trees and went probably 30 ft up real fast and hit a branch and dropped. It broke real bad.
It was my fault for not paying enough attention.
When I purchased it from Amazon a popup from Square Trade opened up and asked if I wanted insurance against accidents. I thought a lot can go wrong so I got it. When this accident happened I followed the directions and yesterday a new Evo arrived. I cannot say enough good things about the Square Trade people. Total turnaround about 2-3 weeks. They sent me a prepaid addressed box to send it back in. They evaluated that it couldn't be repaired and they sent me a new one. I had been afraid that somewhere in the small print there would be some reason to find not to cover it BUT all went well. I would recommend them for anyone. I had never bought insurance for anything before so I didn't know what to expect. I am very happy with them and thought I would pass it on.
I will pay more attention in the future. I do not want to find out how many times they will fix it for me. :)

I was flying my evo through trees (cause that is what I have), I was probably 30 feet from my take off spot. It had been beeping so much that I did not notice the low battery warning until very late. I did not react quickly enough and it went straight up. It was still under trees and went probably 30 ft up real fast and hit a branch and dropped. It broke real bad.
It was my fault for not paying enough attention.
When I purchased it from Amazon a popup from Square Trade opened up and asked if I wanted insurance against accidents. I thought a lot can go wrong so I got it. When this accident happened I followed the directions and yesterday a new Evo arrived. I cannot say enough good things about the Square Trade people. Total turnaround about 2-3 weeks. They sent me a prepaid addressed box to send it back in. They evaluated that it couldn't be repaired and they sent me a new one. I had been afraid that somewhere in the small print there would be some reason to find not to cover it BUT all went well. I would recommend them for anyone. I had never bought insurance for anything before so I didn't know what to expect. I am very happy with them and thought I would pass it on.
I will pay more attention in the future. I do not want to find out how many times they will fix it for me. :)
Sure glad they came through for you. ? Mind saying how much the ins cost?

It was around a hundred dollars. I think it is for 3 years.

Thats a good price for piece of mind. Farmers Insurance also provides the same coverage but its around 60 bucks a year. I also heard they will cut you off after a claim. Just hear say so I'm not sure on the last part.

By the way. The new drone is a lot easier to get the batteries out

That’s great to hear. Square Trade has built a solid reputation over the last several years providing fair service for a fair price. I’ve only used them once for a Vizio TV that was 3.5 yrs into a 4 yr warranty after I got a black screen of death. They sent a tech out, he said it was uneconomical to repair. I got a new equivalent model about 10 days later...

Reactions: REC
Same exact thing happened to me on the 1st or 2nd day I flew my new Evo. Low battery, not paying attention, automatically went straight up in order to gain height and return home but it was under a tree limb. I didn't have any kind of insurance on it but I lucked out as it fell from only about 12-15 feet, landed on a 8" high bush then mud. Got her cleaned up and all functions seemed to work properly. But now, especially after reading your story, I'm thinking of contacting my Geico agent or seeing if Square Trade sells after purchase coverage. Thanks for posting!

I had similar last week: 25% EVO battery remaining and started to climb and we were near electric/telephone lines and I managed to get it forward enough to miss them and then let it rise and go home.
I think you can alter the battery warning down to about 10% or5% (help me, pilots) but when I did that I couldn't get home quick enough when beep started and it came down in trees and battery was irreparable. Down to two batteries now :~(

Reactions: REC
I had similar last week: 25% EVO battery remaining and started to climb and we were near electric/telephone lines and I managed to get it forward enough to miss them and then let it rise and go home.
I think you can alter the battery warning down to about 10% or5% (help me, pilots) but when I did that I couldn't get home quick enough when beep started and it came down in trees and battery was irreparable. Down to two batteries now :~(
I would suggest you increase the low battery warning to 30-35%, that way you know when it's time to return before it's to late.

This morning I've been trying ND8 (too dark), ND4 (seems best) and original 'filter' (way washed out in sunny NC sky), at 1080p and 4k, and nearly everything looks OOF. Just before the last flight it started recalibrating, never done that before.

I would suggest you increase the low battery warning to 30-35%, that way you know when it's time to return before it's to late.
When mine took off I was in my front yard flying under and around trees. I was trying to practice maneuvering. I think the problem was that it was beeping all the time because of the proximity of the trees. When the additional low battery beep started I didn't notice it quick enough and it zoomed up before I reacted to pause it.
Hopefully lesson learned.

When mine took off I was in my front yard flying under and around trees. I was trying to practice maneuvering. I think the problem was that it was beeping all the time because of the proximity of the trees. When the additional low battery beep started I didn't notice it quick enough and it zoomed up before I reacted to pause it.
Hopefully lesson learned.
Is there a setting so when I am in my yard the is no return to home and it goes straight to land where it is if the battery gets too low?

Is there a setting so when I am in my yard the is no return to home and it goes straight to land where it is if the battery gets too low?
No. If the drone gets GPS signal. It will automatically want to go home when low battery. Only way I have found out to prevent this outside is to remain in the exact same position as take off or fly indoors.

No. If the drone gets GPS signal. It will automatically want to go home when low battery. Only way I have found out to prevent this outside is to remain in the exact same position as take off or fly indoors.
Thanks
that is what I was afraid of. I hoped I had missed something

Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModMax