Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Initial drifting from home upon start up

Reaction score
So, a few things to note:

I am on holiday outside the US and I was operating the Evo without my mobile phone attached.

I got the Evo up and running in the air. There was a good breeze going, which I believe is the reason that the drone was carried away about 20 feet. I adjusted it's settings and could turn it around but it didn't want to fly back toward me. I immediately had it lower it's altitude and about 8ft from the ground did it stabilise. After that, the Evo did everything it was supposed to regardless of wind or terrain.

Has anyone else had a concern with their Evo after initial launch in some place entirely foreign? This has never happened before to me.
Also to note, I was flying in an area that was fine per airspace and well away from 3rd parties not directly involved with the event.

Sometimes when you go to a different location than where you usually fly, and i'm talking more than a few hundred miles away, it is recommended to recalibrate your compass. Let us know if doing that fixes the problem.

Sometimes when you go to a different location than where you usually fly, and i'm talking more than a few hundred miles away, it is recommended to recalibrate your compass. Let us know if doing that fixes the problem.

I can try that, but it is four miles from where I usually fly.

My response was for @Inquisitive Concepts who mentioned is on holiday outside the US. Are you saying you experiencing the same issue without a change in location? In that case, I really don't know what might be the problem.

I actually thought this was in a different thread that I started about a similar issue. Sorry about that.

I attempted to recalibrate the compass and it was only able to do one of the two options. I tried this three times before deciding to go ahead and test flying. My phone indicated that calibrating was unsuccessful; however, the controller indicated that it was running in Gps mode.
I took it up to about 240ft and did ala fee orbits before landing it without any issues.
I'm thinking everything is fine and would suggest letting the Evo to do its thing before sending it up immediately or testing it slowly to verify everything is fine.
I'm based out of Seattle and currently in NZ and will be in Aus.

GPS can take up to a minute to obtain full lock in a new location.
The texture of the takeoff location matters a lot at 20ft, that's starting to tax the vision system if there's no big items for it to lock on.
High winds just make the GPS problem worse.

Reactions: Normex

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunsky