Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Importance of the monitor built-in to the controller

netfolks2000

Reaction score
I've often lost connection between the phone and controller or controller and drone with other drones. How much confidence and stability do you gain by having the monitor always available there in the Autel Evo controller?

I use the built in monitor frequently and, knock on wood, I have had no connection problems at what I would consider a good distance (just at the threshold of VLOS loss, around 1000').

The RC’s very good If flying VLOS (which I always do). Indeed I use it 90 percent of the time—no phone or tablet attached. From a photographic perspective, a bigger screen makes it easier for me. I have an 8in Android tablet and an iPad Pro 12.9in, but even with the Liftor Mount, the iPad is a little cumbersome. This week I will be testing the Epson Moverio BT-300 smart glasses with the controller. Should be interesting.

Something a lot of people seem to not realize and need to think about is this. Using just the RC for your screen there is no flight log being recorded that would normally be recorded onto your phone or tablet. So if for some reason you needed to send that info in for warranty replacement for a fly away they could refuse you. I have talked to the tech's about this and they decide on a case by case basis.

Something a lot of people seem to not realize and need to think about is this. Using just the RC for your screen there is no flight log being recorded that would normally be recorded onto your phone or tablet. So if for some reason you needed to send that info in for warranty replacement for a fly away they could refuse you. I have talked to the tech's about this and they decide on a case by case basis.
That’s a critically important point. I’ve had 2 XSP’s replaced for free by Autel solely based on log evidence. One battery failure lost in a waterfall. One flyaway I got back, but it needed work...
As for a tablet, I now use a used iPad Mini 5. It’s small, light & bright....

Last edited:
That’s a critically important point. I’ve had 2 XSP’s replaced for free by Autel solely based on log evidence. One battery failure lost in a waterfall. One flyaway I got back, but it needed work...
As for a tablet, I now use a used iPad Mini 5. It’s small, light & bright....

Good to know. I've used my iPhone 8/11 since I bought the drone for the flight logs and bigger screen. Also have a 12.9 iPad Pro but I think that's a bit much for this purpose.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Yea, my 12.9“ just doesn’t balance-out very easily on the RC, no matter how you mount it. I’ve been using an old iPad Air 2, since they’re dirt cheap on Craigslist, but I found a really cheap mini 5 which is smaller and lighter, but still bright. Earlier mini’s just weren’t bright enough for bright conditions...

Mini 5 looks excellent. Still too early to get one at reasonable price here.

Thank you all for giving your opinion about that monitor built-in. It appears the new EVO 2 will also have that feature, perhaps an even bigger screen. Very attractive.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles