Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

I have to Wonder Why?

JSTorsrud

Reaction score
I have to wonder WHY, DJI came out with this Mavic Mini?

What market is out there for this mini Drone anyway?

Or is this just another Money Grabbing Venture on DJI's Part?

I wish Autel would step up the game and re-invent the EVO!

The EVO doesn't need to be miniaturized either.

Just wondering????

Why Did DJI Create a 249-Gram Drone?

Safety.

So says Brendan Shculman Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs at DJI but others will disagree LOL

Why Did DJI Create a 249-Gram Drone?

Safety.

So says Brendan Shculman Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs at DJI but others will disagree LOL

SAFETY?

NO, I think money has something to do with it too! And the Holidays are quickly approaching!

As with all DJI products and especially this one, I WILL PASS!

They created something many people have wanted for a very long time that falls under the radar so to speak. Pretty much every other kind of consumer drone has been built so they had to test other waters. Like any other company they are in business to make money. Hope others follow suit.

Many people have shyed away from the hobby/industry do to the constant changing and hardening of rules and regulations across the world.

Having a drone that is less than the minimum weight for the regulations to apply, will allow many people to enjoy the hobby without the hassle. For now I am not interested in it, but I support DJI's desicion on making it.

On an unrelated note. I crashed landed my Phantom today. It will cost me $40 to replace the damaged propellers. ?

Reactions: macoman
I will post this and all the credit goes to PatR from the Yuneec forum. He is also a fellow moderator of mine on another forum. Very well educated in the UAV industry and how it works. Here is what he has to say about the DJI Mini and I agree.

"Short version for the Mavic Mini is that it will be quite successful.

Long version is there are several reasons it will be successful even if it performs badly. One reason is because it's a DJI product and DJI already has 75%+ of the consumer market. DJI also has a strong advertising and packaging presence that other manufacturers don't. People won't buy something they don't know about so if there's little or no advertising there's no way for people to know of something. DJI makes it a point to have their models reviewed by any relative publishing entity they can get a new model out to. Photography blogs, magazines, hobby blogs, general media, Camera/lens social media, numerous YouTube reviewers, and many others. DJI also maintains a strong presence in big box stores, obtaining prominent, highly visible display space on the shelves. They make sure the store clerks have easy to deliver information available for walk through customers that express an interest in DJI products.

Another reason for Mavic Mini success will be third party Apps. Anything that helps the operator get things done or simplify the flight process is highly desirable. DJI already has a large number of third prty apps to assist their customers in flight and flight planning, with most of them functioning across all their model variants. With the exception of Tuna's UAV Toolbox (Yuneec), applicable only to the Typhoon H 480, Yuneec and Autel have essentially none, while Parrot is actively developing and releasing apps to their customers.

Personally, I don't think the Mavic Mini's sub 250 gram weight will be as much of a selling point as the dimensional characteristics. The weight will make people that don't like the registration concept happy but those will be outnumbered by the people interested in a pocket sized drone. The one thing that will hold people back from purchasing one is flight restriction software, but that deterrent is present in every system that possesses artificial flight restrictions. Price will also have an impact, but unless the price is extremely low that won't be a big factor. A low price will cause people to flock to a product, even if the product is not very good.

Last, but certainly not least, is DJI has for several years been constantly improving their customer service department. They saw the benefits of a strong customer service department some years back with the examples set by 3DR and Yuneec, and since then have invested considerable resources in improving this area of business. Unfortunately 3DR closed up and Yuneec has fallen on their sword with customer service. Any company that fails to understand their customer service department is a business generator will consistently lose business to companies that maintain a strong customer service presence. If people cannot access companies to obtain repairs or assistance they will quickly migrate to companies and products where such is quickly provided."

Reactions: macoman and Ansia
Wasn't Confucius quoted as saying

"There's a sucker born every minute! "
Oh no, that was supposedly P.T. Barnum but no one knows for sure. Its a good Business Plan that many companies have as a brass plaque over their front door.

I think DJI is working towards the modern day mentality of disposable goods. Like TVs, microwaves, cameras, toasters, coffee makers, phones, power tools, etc. If it breaks just drop it in the recycle bin at the landfill and buy another. Not worth the effort....or cost....to have it fixed.

DJI is closing in on that price point that consumers will recognize as disposable rather than repairable.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert