Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How's it now and does it use Wi-Fi for range?

Mdsniper7

Reaction score
Wondering if it's range is WiFi based or ocusync based/ lightbridge. Also how's the drone now

Doesn't use wifi, has a 2.4ghz radio signal. Wifi is usually limited to short ranges.

It's not WiFi. It's an Autel developed protocol in the 2.4 GHz band. Lightbridge and Occusync are DJI proprietary.

No matter how you look at it 2.4ghz is still WiFi
WiFI is just wireless frequencies.
You are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct, but I think the thing is people don't look at it that way.

People don't call FM radio wireless. People don't call OTA television wireless.

Reactions: JohnL
its all wifi,its just the manner in which its enhanced
i havent decided if the Evo's wifi is as good as the mavics occusync but its looking close due to my limited flying with the evo,ive got out to about 1.5 mile with no signal degrading but chickened out and came home.

I wasn't really too worried with what it has, as long as it works. Heck, i'd be fine with radio frequencies as long as its reliable and long range haha. Here's a run i did.
2.4 miles straight without any issues in the city, 3 miles straight in the boonies before i chickened out lol (didn't want to push the battery too much on its first couple of runs)

I wasn't really too worried with what it has, as long as it works. Heck, i'd be fine with radio frequencies as long as its reliable and long range haha. Here's a run i did.
2.4 miles straight without any issues in the city, 3 miles straight in the boonies before i chickened out lol (didn't want to push the battery too much on its first couple of runs)

Wow this is awesome

You are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct, but I think the thing is people don't look at it that way.

People don't call FM radio wireless. People don't call OTA television wireless.

No, it's not technically correct. WiFi (Wi-Fi - Wikipedia) is a protocol (802.11) that can exist in either 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz bands.

Many, many other things also share the same 2.4GHz spectrum that are not WiFi. Microwave ovens, Bluetooth, ZigBee, most modern RC controllers, etc. These signals share the same spectrum but look absolutely nothing like a WiFi signal. WiFi signals exist in a given channel, many others frequency hop all across the band. WiFi is designed for symmetric upload & download at high-bandwidth. Because of that design choice, it's very limited in range while still being FCC compliant.
For controlling a drone, you want very high download, and very low latency upload, but the upload requires almost no bandwidth. DJI and Autel have double or triple the range, while still meeting the same FCC spec.

Reactions: WayneH
No, it's not technically correct. WiFi (Wi-Fi - Wikipedia) is a protocol (802.11) that can exist in either 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz bands.

Many, many other things also share the same 2.4GHz spectrum that are not WiFi. Microwave ovens, Bluetooth, ZigBee, most modern RC controllers, etc. These signals share the same spectrum but look absolutely nothing like a WiFi signal. WiFi signals exist in a given channel, many others frequency hop all across the band. WiFi is designed for symmetric upload & download at high-bandwidth. Because of that design choice, it's very limited in range while still being FCC compliant.
For controlling a drone, you want very high download, and very low latency upload, but the upload requires almost no bandwidth. DJI and Autel have double or triple the range, while still meeting the same FCC spec.

I think and am waiting on this to come to light one day for all of us - LTE connection. I am waiting on a basic sim card to be used to control it via an LTE or phone signal. Then you can really take it out far and not even think about signal.

You don't have to worry about signal but then you'll have to worry about data usage - unless you have unlimited wireless.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan