Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How to Fly Your Drone Recreationally, New FAA regulations and changes

Sooooooooo, I guess we’re all supposed to “at all times physically see the drone we are flying”. Got it. ;)

No there are VO's out there wilh Xray vision that can help watch. LOL
I have X-Ray vision. What I'm trying to do is get the TSA's X-Ray software so I can see what they can see. ?

This may fall in a grey area. When the drone is outside, it can easily be followee by a VO. When it's flown under a roof, it's outside the FAA's jurisdiction, therefore you may not need a VO? It falls into the building's administration to decide if you can or can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madhungarian
I have X-Ray vision. What I'm trying to do is get the TSA's X-Ray software so I can see what they can see. ?

This may fall in a grey area. When the drone is outside, it can easily be followee by a VO. When it's flown under a roof, it's outside the FAA's jurisdiction, therefore you may not need a VO? It falls into the building's administration to decide if you can or can't.
How about this one?

Paul and his friends have been experimenting with Lithium Ion cells for years now. They're getting ~25min actual FPV flight times on SIX inch quads at 7+km ranges. This is truly amazing and the footage he's able to get is equally amazing. I simply love his work. This quad is an INCREDIBLE 775g AUW with a 304g battery!

As we seem to do a lot around here we are getting off topic, can we get back on topic with the rules set out in the video?

A while ago there was a post on how a hobbyist helped out in a search & rescue. There were comments saying it was perfectly legal. From the video I gather anything that changes your flight from "fun" to something more serious is a illegal flight. Is that what you guys take away from his comments?

How about this one?

Paul and his friends have been experimenting with Lithium Ion cells for years now. They're getting ~25min actual FPV flight times on SIX inch quads at 7+km ranges. This is truly amazing and the footage he's able to get is equally amazing. I simply love his work. This quad is an INCREDIBLE 775g AUW with a 304g battery!
In the video, the FAA says you must keep your drone visible at all times.

As we seem to do a lot around here we are getting off topic, can we get back on topic with the rules set out in the video?

A while ago there was a post on how a hobbyist helped out in a search & rescue. There were comments saying it was perfectly legal. From the video I gather anything that changes your flight from "fun" to something more serious is a illegal flight. Is that what you guys take away from his comments?
Correct. If you are flying for anything that YOUR own enjoyment, it falls into 107.

Yea, I think he made that very, very clear...

So if a drone pilot if flying VLOS and a FAA\Police officer comes and says he cannot see it but I tell him I can, do I have to bring it back
Sooooooooo, I guess we’re all supposed to “at all times physically see the drone we are flying”. Got it. ;)
What I am saying is that how will anyone be able to fly FPV alone? FPV is done through the lens of the camera, even the PID tuning in "Acro" is set to fly from your glasses and not from VLOS. If the law states you must have eyes on you bird at all times, then how could someone with Fatsharks go outside with his drone and fly by themselves?

So if a drone pilot if flying VLOS and a FAA\Police officer comes and says he cannot see it but I tell him I can, do I have to bring it back

What I am saying is that how will anyone be able to fly FPV alone? FPV is done through the lens of the camera, even the PID tuning in "Acro" is set to fly from your glasses and not from VLOS. If the law states you must have eyes on you bird at all times, then how could someone with Fatsharks go outside with his drone and fly by themselves?
If the FAA comes, it will be confiscated. 5-0 may be more lenient if you behave. If you want to fly FPV, bring a VO. Simple. You sure you are part 107 certified? This is part of the test.

If the FAA comes, it will be confiscated. 5-0 may be more lenient if you behave. If you want to fly FPV, bring a VO. Simple. You sure you are part 107 certified? This is part of the test.
Yes I am certified and also have the waiver.

Never could, just not legal.

How about this one?

Epic shots! I was surprised that the 2-axis stabilization didn't bother me. In fact, it looks more like what you see when flying in an airplane that banks when it turns. I've gotten used to the 3-axis gimbal shots that are always (supposed to be) level.
Do we know where Paul was flying? Certainly beyond VLOS!

Reactions: Madhungarian

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raeveren