Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hidden Waterfalls of East Hawaii

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score

So much footage, so little time to edit.... The second and last waterfall are not too "hidden", but the remainder would be hard to spot in a helicopter unless it was flying low and slow. I found waterfalls using my iPhone’s Maps on the satellite setting, hiking to the closet spot I could launch. I could often hear them, but rarely see them aside from through the drone's feed. I often had to drop into narrow canyons avoiding trees via an iPad -- scary flying!

Last edited:
There is only one thing wrong with the video.... it is not mine!
Beautiful job, I was entranced.
Thank you.

Wow what a wonderful spot. I would imagine the price of houses around that would be very high.
After 2 snowstorms the past week that warmed me up.
Great video.

7818A4BB-2E72-493E-9E6D-7D1366D86017.jpeg
Wow what a wonderful spot. I would imagine the price of houses around that would be very high.
After 2 snowstorms the past week that warmed me up.
Great video.
Thanks!! Yes, Hawaii is expensive. It’s cheaper than the SF Bay Area, but that area is insanely expensive. The Big Island of Hawaii, on the windward side, is one of the least expensive areas in the state. The weather is wild, but that keeps it interesting.
If you look at Google Maps around Hilo (Hee-low), you’ll see 100 waterfalls. 95% are impossible to get within 5 miles, lots of private property. This took months of flying, often coming-up empty. Breaking the rules, I lost sight of the XSP on most of these flights... :(

That seriously just blew my mind. Such a beautiful place but to top it off you showed the beauty of it even more with the XSP!! Submit it to AR!!!

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Beautiful! I love the way you caught some waterfall rainbows. Scary flying; altitude is your friend!
TY! Absolutely, altitude is your only friend flying blind. There are a few clips where it looks like I’m too high, but trees were blocking my view of the XSP. I’d waste an entire battery on 1 shot, slowly going lower until I ran out of nerve, or time. I’d never get it back if I went down...

Great footage I have hidden areas like that where I live I want to shoot but I’m afraid of Murphy’s law and something going wrong loosing my drone somewhere I can’t get to either physically or legally, I’m currently thinking of switching to Autel from Dji (I’m here to do little research on Autel products) I am so far impressed with what I see coming from the Autel Drones! Keep up the good work and fly safe! :)

Reactions: HiloHawaiian

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo