Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Help! Should I be getting a 'weak video signal' warning at 1500' away?

Apollo11capcom

Reaction score
I just got done flying and I was getting "weak video signal" warnings. I was around 1500 feet away, 200-300 feet in elevation. It just seems like I was way to close to be getting that warning. It's a little chilly, 37° and overcast, I don't know if that should have anything to do with it, it was the same yesterday and i didnt have any such warnings.

Just an added note, yesterday when I put my controller away, I thought i might have heard/ felt a pop on the right side antennae, but I thought it was just in my head. Idk, I'd greatly appreciate any input...

I just got done flying and I was getting "weak video signal" warnings. I was around 1500 feet away, 200-300 feet in elevation. It just seems like I was way to close to be getting that warning. It's a little chilly, 37° and overcast, I don't know if that should have anything to do with it, it was the same yesterday and i didnt have any such warnings.
If you're flying an XSP, the video link signal range is noticably less than an EXPO. I have both, and speak from experience. However, if you are flying an XP, NOT the "Premium" version, all bets are off. I have never noticed any lessening of range in colder temps, but you gotta remember I live and fly in SoCal...

I think it could be what's around you. Any electrical interference, microwave signals, etc may definitely have an adverse affect on signal. Technically the signal won't penetrate things like buildings, trees and so on. That's why they say "OPTIMAL CONDITIONS" when it comes to how far the bird will get signal. Urban areas and cities will get much less distance than wide open rural areas. Try several different antenna positions, and try to position them so they are facing the Evo. Good Luck!

I think it could be what's around you. Any electrical interference, microwave signals, etc may definitely have an adverse affect on signal. Technically the signal won't penetrate things like buildings, trees and so on. That's why they say "OPTIMAL CONDITIONS" when it comes to how far the bird will get signal. Urban areas and cities will get much less distance than wide open rural areas. Try several different antenna positions, and try to position them so they are facing the Evo. Good Luck!
THAT'S good info. In my response to the OP, I neglected to mention that I have suffered his problem when flying my XSP, only to note the antennas were still folded. DUH!

Just an added note, yesterday when I put my controller away, I thought i might have heard/ felt a pop on the right side antennae, but I thought it was just in my head. Idk, I'd greatly appreciate any input...
I have found that if you point your antenna tips down towards the ground and slightly away from each other (about one antenna width from being parallel) the range will be the best. Always face the direction of the drone.
Interference can make a huge impact on reception. There is one area close to my house that I loose connection at only 800ft away. I can fly the opposite direction and fly over a mile away.
Hope this helps

I've had the same experience when flying over the trailer park... So much wifi, so much metal... And in the opposite direction I get uncomfortable with how far it goes.

I have found that if you point your antenna tips down towards the ground and slightly away from each other (about one antenna width from being parallel) the range will be the best. Always face the direction of the drone.
Interference can make a huge impact on reception. There is one area close to my house that I loose connection at only 800ft away. I can fly the opposite direction and fly over a mile away.
Hope this helps
The way you described is exactly how I set my antenna, I saw it on the Autel video... it seems like the best way to set it when using a smart phone (as long as u remember that's how they're set before putting the remote down!)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain