Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hello from Rural NY

GeekOnTheWing

Reaction score
Website
flypart107.aero
I'm a new EVO II Pro 6K owner. This is my first "real" drone (by which I mean not a toy). I'm hoping to build a part-time business, mainly real estate flyovers and the like. I'm a semi-retired IT type and have time to kill.

My background in aviation dates back to the 1970's, but I'm pretty new to drones. I got the new ticket and have done some mock inspections and flyovers for free, but I still need some practice before I consider myself ready to start doing this for money. I basically want to develop more of a "feel" for it. Mainly muscle memory, I guess.

I'm also working on some of the more artistic flying, more for fun and practice than for any other reason.

I'll most likely be mainly lurking for a while, soaking up wisdom since I have little to give. I just wanted to say hello.

Welcome to the Group !
Where in NYS are you ??

Thank you. I'm in Delaware County.

I was born and raised in NYC, but never cared for it. So when the old lady and I split a little over 10 years ago, I sold most of the business and moved to the country so I'd be gone before she changed her mind. Now I do some Web stuff and whatever else I can do remotely.

Nice Area !
I'm From the Binghamton area and have flown around the Cannonsville Reservoir in the fall, before we got asked to leave by the Local police. the footage we got was great !
Always trying to find some local to fly with !

Nice Area !
I'm From the Binghamton area and have flown around the Cannonsville Reservoir in the fall, before we got asked to leave by the Local police. the footage we got was great !
Always trying to find some local to fly with !

Yeah, DEP is a pain. And they own so much land that it's hard to avoid it. But I looked at the DEC's maps and noticed that a lot of DEP land abuts DEC wild forest, which is legal to fly in / from. I can overfly the Pepacton reservoir, for example, all I want as long as I launch from the DEC side of the road.

I also have the DEP access pass, so I can legally launch from across the road and have the drone follow me through the DEP land. The rule prohibits launching from and landing in, not flying through.

Maybe we'll hook up at some point. For now I'm working on some skills training and like to be as far from other flying things as humanly possible. I still find quads more challenging than flying manned airplanes or ultralights at this point. But it's just a matter of muscle memory. I can think my way through any maneuver I want to do. I just need to get the fingers working on their own.

I'm also having a hard time seeing the phone screen to frame shots in the sun. I'm about this close |<-- -->| to pulling the trigger on the Smart Controller.

Last edited:
"I'm also having a hard time seeing the phone screen"
Me too, that why I use a 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab A, I have had it since My Phantom 2 days.
It's still hard to see in the sun so I take a Flimsy cheap plastic from a binder and spray it with flat black paint and cut and fold it to fit the tablet.
I use a cheap dollar store phone case and put some wide velcro on that and the tablet and attach it to the controller. works good enough for me !

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
I'm a new EVO II Pro 6K owner. This is my first "real" drone (by which I mean not a toy). I'm hoping to build a part-time business, mainly real estate flyovers and the like. I'm a semi-retired IT type and have time to kill.

My background in aviation dates back to the 1970's, but I'm pretty new to drones. I got the new ticket and have done some mock inspections and flyovers for free, but I still need some practice before I consider myself ready to start doing this for money. I basically want to develop more of a "feel" for it. Mainly muscle memory, I guess.

I'm also working on some of the more artistic flying, more for fun and practice than for any other reason.

I'll most likely be mainly lurking for a while, soaking up wisdom since I have little to give. I just wanted to say hello.
Hello Back. I'm also in rural NY. Have my Part 107 license but just fly recreationally with my Evo II 8k.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials