Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hello from Australia !!

Props McGavin

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Hi all, and thanks for having me here.
I’m a new Autel Evo pilot and loving every minute of it. I’ve managed to film and load 1 video up to YouTube at the time of posting this message and I hope to do more as time permits. I’ve used this forum a few times for assistance as a guest so thought I’d sign up to get myself involved more. If any OS pilots have any queries or need advise on where to fly here, feel free to contact me at any stage as I’d be happy to help anyone visiting this magical land I’m proud to call home. Cheers. Richard

Reactions: Nightbat2
Welcome to the Forum.

I think you will enjoy your membership. There are many other members happy to provide assistance for any issues you may have, and those that may need information you bring. A lot of good information is already stored in existing threads.

Couple easy things:
1.) The search Icon is your friend. It's the magnifying glass near the upper right of the screen when you scroll all the way up. It can find many answers you will never find by yourself.
2.) Be aware that you won't always get a quick response. There are times when many other members are on line, and sometimes only a few. A response may not show up until the right person sees it.
3.) Be aware the forum is Global. If you are exchanging with a member on the other side of the world, response can get delayed and out of sequence due to a difference in local time.
4.) Although the Forum is global, the language is English. It is customary to translate other languages to English. Many members also include the original language post to help alleviate translation errors.
5.) Review the forum rules (on the bottom right). There are not too many, but it is important they are followed to keep the Forum a useful and happy place for everyone.

Reactions: Props McGavin

'ello mate! I just had to say that. LOL. I'm at the other end of the world, literally, but have been to your 'promised land' many decades ago. You have some extraordinary natural landscape/seascape down there as well as the added footprint of man so I for one will be looking forward to your future projects you show off. Looking forward to some New Year's fireworks shots if you are in Sydney. They show it all over the States tv news that night as some of the first revelers of the new year.

Say hi to the girls at the south end of Bondi Beach if you know what I mean. ;)

20191011_141756#3.jpg

Hi all, and thanks for having me here.
I’m a new Autel Evo pilot and loving every minute of it. I’ve managed to film and load 1 video up to YouTube at the time of posting this message and I hope to do more as time permits. I’ve used this forum a few times for assistance as a guest so thought I’d sign up to get myself involved more. If any OS pilots have any queries or need advise on where to fly here, feel free to contact me at any stage as I’d be happy to help anyone visiting this magical land I’m proud to call home. Cheers. Richard
Welcome. Which part of this ‘wide brown land’ are you in? I’m in the NSW Northern Rivers. Been flying an Evo since March. Learned to fly on a Phantom 4 Pro+ but wanted something more portable and not subject to DJI’s restrictions.

'ello mate! I just had to say that. LOL. I'm at the other end of the world, literally, but have been to your 'promised land' many decades ago. You have some extraordinary natural landscape/seascape down there as well as the added footprint of man so I for one will be looking forward to your future projects you show off. Looking forward to some New Year's fireworks shots if you are in Sydney. They show it all over the States tv news that night as some of the first revelers of the new year.

View attachment 5290
These days it’s against the law to fly anywhere over Sydney Harbour. Flying on NYE is only for broadcasters with special waivers.

Reactions: Trox

View attachment 5290

Hi Trox,

Ripper tee shirt mate, looks like a genuine old school.

I definitely won't be in Sydney for New Years mate, that's a little hectic for me but I do like the idea of flying around fireworks.
Ill be sure to let the South Bondi Girls know Trox says G'day ;)

Reactions: Trox
Welcome. Which part of this ‘wide brown land’ are you in? I’m in the NSW Northern Rivers. Been flying an Evo since March. Learned to fly on a Phantom 4 Pro+ but wanted something more portable and not subject to DJI’s restrictions.
Howdy NightBat2, im in Central Victoria. Yep, the flight restrictions was a major factor in my decision making process in going with the Evo. Is there anything you miss about the P4P+?

Howdy NightBat2, im in Central Victoria. Yep, the flight restrictions was a major factor in my decision making process in going with the Evo. Is there anything you miss about the P4P+?
The Phantom is a really solid flyer and to be fair, I never had a problem with NFZs because we were flying in one general area which was clear (I was training for and getting my RePL at the local TAFE). I would have bought one except that It isn’t really portable enough and I wanted something that folded, like a Mavic, but without the hassles given that I might be flying it anywhere in this ‘wide brown land’. The Evo isn’t as stable and doesn’t have the range of software add ons and accessories. But for most of the flying I do, it‘s fine. My only gripe is lack of a one inch sensor—not because it’s necessary but because your average marketing guru (who wouldn’t know the difference between a cucumber and a zucchini) thinks that anything without a one inch sensor isn’t good enough. Probably valid if you’re shooting stills for the side of a bus shelter, but otherwise...

@Nightbat2
@Props McGavin

As you may already know we here in the States have an FAA restriction on all non-government drones at this time that limits our altitude to 400 feet above ground level. I'm sure that as commercialization of our drones' usefulness matures there will probably be all sorts of categories and exceptions in the future.

I'm curious what altitude restrictions are imposed on your flying Down Under and if there are differences between the allowances for sport/hobbyist and commercial aircraft. Its a shame to waste all that wide open Outback space by being tethered to low altitudes like us.

Were limited to 120m so you've got a few more feet.
Growing restrictions here with licensing and registrations recently being introduced; recreational usage too.

This is our version of the FAA. Drones

@Nightbat2
@Props McGavin

As you may already know we here in the States have an FAA restriction on all non-government drones at this time that limits our altitude to 400 feet above ground level. I'm sure that as commercialization of our drones' usefulness matures there will probably be all sorts of categories and exceptions in the future.

I'm curious what altitude restrictions are imposed on your flying Down Under and if there are differences between the allowances for sport/hobbyist and commercial aircraft. Its a shame to waste all that wide open Outback space by being tethered to low altitudes like us.
Nope. 120metres AGL; no flying over “populous” areas, events, or within 30 metres of buildings, people or any road with moving traffic; no night flying; usual VLOS. What most people don’t realise is that the 30 metres is not a DOME—it’s a CYLINDER, which means that you can’t overfly buildings, people etc legally even at 120 metres AGL. Doesn’t matter if you’re a licensed flyer (as I am) or a hobbyist. Waivers are possible, of course, but only to licensed operators and mostly only to those with a bird that has six, eight or higher number of motors.

Were limited to 120m so you've got a few more feet.
Growing restrictions here with licensing and registrations recently being introduced; recreational usage too.
This is our version of the FAA. Drones
I'm glad your documents are in the King's english (or is it the Queen's english now?) so us Yanks can understand it. LOL

Nope. 120metres AGL; no flying over “populous” areas, events, or within 30 metres of buildings, people or any road with moving traffic; no night flying; usual VLOS. What most people don’t realise is that the 30 metres is not a DOME—it’s a CYLINDER, which means that you can’t overfly buildings, people etc legally even at 120 metres AGL. Doesn’t matter if you’re a licensed flyer (as I am) or a hobbyist. Waivers are possible, of course, but only to licensed operators and mostly only to those with a bird that has six, eight or higher number of motors.

I briefly browsed over some of your CASA highlights.....at first it appeared to be close to a mirror image of our regs but the conditions you bring up are so much more restrictive. Yes we do prevent flying over crowds but even that is being "worked on" by FAA now and their regulations allowing overflights of people will be based on how much damage your drone can do to a human body and flesh. TRUE. Tiny little drones won't be restricted. The bigger the cut or lethal potential the greater the requirements will be to equip the drones with safeguards to prevent or minimize injuries. I wonder if they will be testing drone crashes on pig corpses. LOL

We do allow twilight and night flights by hobbyists but must be a waiver approval for a licensed pilot at least right now. Our regs say we can fly around and up and over buildings....even flying the 400 feet above the roof of the building. So you could be 400' above a skyscraper. Flying over traffic is OK too. We do have an allowance to fly over people provided that ALL those people MUST be part of the filming crew, cast, etc. and aware of the hazards involved. I'm sure if you were wanting to get some aerials of motocross riders on a course you would just need a signed release making them a part of the production. Kinda like a model's release for filming people for financial gain or commercial use. But of course you better make sure your insurance policy is paid up.

Just as those of us who "pre-date" the Internet (and cell phones, PCs, and even TVs) and were witness to each of those (R)evolutions, all of those who have "pre-dated" the era of drones will have stories to tell their own grandchildren decades from now when the skies will look like a scene from the cartoon series The Jetsons.

You guys are welcome to visit the States with your aircraft. We have a lot of wide open spaces too!

I'm glad your documents are in the King's english (or is it the Queen's english now?) so us Yanks can understand it. LOL

I briefly browsed over some of your CASA highlights.....at first it appeared to be close to a mirror image of our regs but the conditions you bring up are so much more restrictive. Yes we do prevent flying over crowds but even that is being "worked on" by FAA now and their regulations allowing overflights of people will be based on how much damage your drone can do to a human body and flesh. TRUE. Tiny little drones won't be restricted. The bigger the cut or lethal potential the greater the requirements will be to equip the drones with safeguards to prevent or minimize injuries. I wonder if they will be testing drone crashes on pig corpses. LOL

We do allow twilight and night flights by hobbyists but must be a waiver approval for a licensed pilot at least right now. Our regs say we can fly around and up and over buildings....even flying the 400 feet above the roof of the building. So you could be 400' above a skyscraper. Flying over traffic is OK too. We do have an allowance to fly over people provided that ALL those people MUST be part of the filming crew, cast, etc. and aware of the hazards involved. I'm sure if you were wanting to get some aerials of motocross riders on a course you would just need a signed release making them a part of the production. Kinda like a model's release for filming people for financial gain or commercial use. But of course you better make sure your insurance policy is paid up.

Just as those of us who "pre-date" the Internet (and cell phones, PCs, and even TVs) and were witness to each of those (R)evolutions, all of those who have "pre-dated" the era of drones will have stories to tell their own grandchildren decades from now when the skies will look like a scene from the cartoon series The Jetsons.

You guys are welcome to visit the States with your aircraft. We have a lot of wide open spaces too!
Lived in the US for some time—Atlanta, Madison, Wis, and Ny city. Travelled much of it. Pre-drone times, though. Great country and people.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t