Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hello from Alaska

Oscar

Reaction score
Bin flying a refurbished X-Star premium first drone eva for a couple of weeks. Ordered from Seattle office after talking to a actual human being that I could call back later as needed. Refurbished models have actually bin flown so figured the odds would be a little better for more flight time and hopefully less time sitting in a corner somewhere (like maybe a year or two) waiting to be put in the mail. Have lots of electronic stuff like that laying around.
Anyway bin lucky so far and haven't dumped it a mile or two out in the ocean. Actually made it out over the water a couple miles from a high bluff with ideal conditions. Hoping to get some good whale footage from a vessel that will be making a long trip with. Bin running it for a few years but this trip we will not be back in port for at least a month so I'm trying to learn a bunch and get everything I need before we leave .
We're a steal vessel with a lot of electronics, generators, ect and have to use a electronic compass ourselves so I can't see talking off in gps mode. Maybe use manual and then switch to gps about 30' from boat?
Wondering about filters for seein deeper in the water. I realize there are circular polarized lenses you can adjust but wondering about just straight polarized lenses like polarized sunglasses? Ordered some regular filters that I'm looking forward to using.
Was on a vessel a few years ago with a Japanese film crew filming killer whales attacking grey whales out at False Pass/Unimakpass Pass. Helicopter had a synamax camera on it that was worth more than the helicopter and it turned out to be a fantastic trip in every way. So that's what caught my imagination and took this first step finally.
Might go further in all of this if can figure it out in a practical way. Looks like there are problems especially in the higher end stuff so the investment can be gone in a instant.
Really glad I started with this Autel rig. Will be in extremely remote country and would really love to get some serious elevation shots close to some smoldering volcanic mountains. Built in elevation limitations would serve no practical purpose out there.
Anyway just rambling now so I'll sign off.

Bin flying a refurbished X-Star premium first drone eva for a couple of weeks. Ordered from Seattle office after talking to a actual human being that I could call back later as needed. Refurbished models have actually bin flown so figured the odds would be a little better for more flight time and hopefully less time sitting in a corner somewhere (like maybe a year or two) waiting to be put in the mail. Have lots of electronic stuff like that laying around.
Anyway bin lucky so far and haven't dumped it a mile or two out in the ocean. Actually made it out over the water a couple miles from a high bluff with ideal conditions. Hoping to get some good whale footage from a vessel that will be making a long trip with. Bin running it for a few years but this trip we will not be back in port for at least a month so I'm trying to learn a bunch and get everything I need before we leave .
We're a steal vessel with a lot of electronics, generators, ect and have to use a electronic compass ourselves so I can't see talking off in gps mode. Maybe use manual and then switch to gps about 30' from boat?
Wondering about filters for seein deeper in the water. I realize there are circular polarized lenses you can adjust but wondering about just straight polarized lenses like polarized sunglasses? Ordered some regular filters that I'm looking forward to using.
Was on a vessel a few years ago with a Japanese film crew filming killer whales attacking grey whales out at False Pass/Unimakpass Pass. Helicopter had a synamax camera on it that was worth more than the helicopter and it turned out to be a fantastic trip in every way. So that's what caught my imagination and took this first step finally.
Might go further in all of this if can figure it out in a practical way. Looks like there are problems especially in the higher end stuff so the investment can be gone in a instant.
Really glad I started with this Autel rig. Will be in extremely remote country and would really love to get some serious elevation shots close to some smoldering volcanic mountains. Built in elevation limitations would serve no practical purpose out there.
Anyway just rambling now so I'll sign off.

I have flown my XSP up to 13,000' on Manu Kea on the Big Island in Hawaii. The drone worked perfectly, it was harder on me than the hardware. Can't wait to see what you get!

I have flown my XSP up to 13,000' on Manu Kea on the Big Island in Hawaii. The drone worked perfectly, it was harder on me than the hardware. Can't wait to see what you get!

I started to make some smart comment about oxygen, then checked myself.......

What I do wonder is how the batteries like high elevation?? Are they gonna act like a can of Pringles???

No - they are solid and liquid inside. The biggest issue at hig altitudes would be low temperature exposure - and you’d have to be REALLY high for that to come into play.

Welcome to the forum Oscar, we will be very interested in your videos, the gps should work on your ship since if you ever get a disconnect it will RTH and you would take over when getting near by pressing pause, you should practice hand catching the drone by hovering at 5 ft to near you and by catching the legs and zero the throttle. Many here do this regularly.
Keep safe

Welcome to the forum Oscar, we will be very interested in your videos, the gps should work on your ship since if you ever get a disconnect it will RTH and you would take over when getting near by pressing pause, you should practice hand catching the drone by hovering at 5 ft to near you and by catching the legs and zero the throttle. Many here do this regularly.
Keep safe

Oh wow Norm!!!! You just unknowingly brought up a very valid point!!!!!

So the ship is steaming. I launch my drone and it determines "home". 10 minutes later, for whatever reason, my drone goes into RTH mode. Where does it go??? Bummer if it's launch point cause I ain't there no more....... Interested in hearing explanations.

I think the home should be set to the RC but it should be verified or asked about first....POI ?

I think the home is where the drone launched and confirmed by GPS. So I think it will go back to that point??

Maybe if you made some adjustments in the setting somewhere you could tell it to always come to the RC??

Well as of now we are preaching to an empty choir. :0

Thanks for the info and encouragement.
Will be in good country for great footage but so many things have to come together like weather ect. Then can I do my part? Looking forward to give it a try. Can also use drone for looking for rocks and finding channels.
It looks like you can re-set your home position to your own position.

Welcome to the forum.

Anxious to see your pictures and videos!!!
13,000! Nice. How far up the mountain were you when she reached 13,000?
12,000' is 2 nautical miles so that's really getting up there.

13,000! Nice. How far up the mountain were you when she reached 13,000?
12,000' is 2 nautical miles so that's really getting up there.

I took it that he was at 13K when he flew the drone.

Thanks for the info and encouragement.
Will be in good country for great footage but so many things have to come together like weather ect. Then can I do my part? Looking forward to give it a try. Can also use drone for looking for rocks and finding channels.
It looks like you can re-set your home position to your own position.

Re: It looks like you can re-set your home position to your own position

Yes Oscar but what ovrszd and I discussed, is say you you're on the ship and make it your home point but the ship is moving so the drone will come to the same place but now its the sea.
We will verify for you if you could set the home point to your Remote Control instead then it would come back to wherever you are.

Btw ovrszd I have the youtube posted in Agriculture

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the AutelXPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Autel quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the AutelXPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Autel quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!

I've saw this post from you before. Is it a "canned" response to someone when they join?? Very inviting and personal.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials