Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

GPS signal "weak"

YuKay

Reaction score
What are the causes of this alert? I have been launching from the same spot in my back yard almost every day for the past fortnight, without any problem but the last two days I have been getting this alert prior to take-off. The only obvious change has been a drop in temperature, from about 15 to 8 degrees. Weather has been clear and sunny throughout.

I had at least 12 satellites showing which is maybe a couple fewer than the previous days but should have been enough, I assume.

I'm using the UAV app (for basic information) and I didn't see anything untoward. The GPS alert wasn't there today, despite thick cloud cover and around the same number of satellites.

I'm using the UAV app (for basic information) and I didn't see anything untoward. The GPS alert wasn't there today, despite thick cloud cover and around the same number of satellites.
That's because cloud cover doesn't affect GPS. Look at the KP index too.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Here is a little post from a DJI owner a couple of years ago. I live by what he has posted. :)

A little primer on geomagnetic storms and GPS.

A geomagnetic storm is when a shock wave from a solar flare smacks into the earth's magnetic field, which triggers a lot of disturbances in our ionosphere due to a wiggling magnetic field and increasing the electron density. Huge geomagnetic storms (K index 8-9) are rare. The triggering flare has to be huge (an M or X class flare), located near the center of the sun to directly strike the earth, and one that produces a strong coronal mass ejection (CME) - or the shock wave. The CME usually takes about 3 days to strike the earth following the flare. If conditions are right, it can trigger a major geomagnetic storm which usually has a duration of several hours.

During a major geomagnetic storm, GPS signals from the satellite to our UAV's GPS receivers gets bent by the increased electron density, which increases the path length and introduces position errors. The disturbed ionosphere can also cause degraded signal-to-noise problems, meaning your receiver may loose lock on one or more birds. Also, the bending of signals can also cause "phase slips, which can also cause the receiver to temporarily loose lock on the GPS, taking a few seconds to tens of seconds to relock on the dropped satellite.

Scientific experiments done during strong geomagnetic storms shows the bending of the path length can cause up to about 30M (100 foot) errors in position at mid-latitudes (like the US/Europe and Australia), and slightly worse near the equator. Again, this is during a MAJOR geomagnetic storm of K=8 or 9. Thus, I would expect no effects to a UAV below K=7.I have flown in K7 with no ill effects.

With K=8 or 9, I would expect the following effects to a UAV:
A position error of around 100 feet would not normally be catastrophic. The position error is not going to make your UAV fly a mile away; just 100 feet or so. This would only affect your RTH position and landing point. It might skew the onboard compass off a few degrees, but probably not noticeable. If you're still tracking 6+ satellites, just bring it home (assuming you even notice anything).

With poor signal-to-noise or phase slips, the UAV GPS receiver will loose lock and drop into the manual mode. Bring it home in manual mode.

Again, I wouldn't expect any effects until a MAJOR K=8 or 9 geomagnetic storm, and nothing that is going to cause the UAV to not know where it is more than a 100 feet in error (not a fly away). Go here to see what the K index and general space weather is:
Homepage | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center These are the guys that measure things every hour.
Do not listen to warnings issued by the major news media. Every flare lately seems to be an end-of-the-world news story, and furthermore, a solar flare means a POSSIBLE geomagnetic storm 3 days later, not right after the flare.

We have enough to worry about to keep our UAV's flying safe from proper calibration, good batteries, pre-flight check-out, and the various things that can go wrong (a weak ESC, smacking into a tree, loosing LOS, etc.). The geomagnetic storm concern doesn't even make the top 10, in my opinion. Let's focus our worries and concern elsewhere.

I disagree but I could be wrong but on very overcast days it takes longer for me to get a good lock on GPS. Not sure why if you say it has no effect.
Cloud cover really doesn't affect GPS.

Does heavy cloud cover affect GPS reception? - GPS Tracklog
Cloud Cover and GPS reception

@YuKay must have had some other kind of interference that affected his GPS reception and the only thing that comes to mind is something caused by solar flares which, as what you posted indicates, cause geomagnetic interference.

Fascinating stuff! How will driverless cars cope with geomagnetic storms?

Fairly easily. GPS is not good enough for autonomous driving, because it can't detect what lane you're in. Most car GPS receivers look like they're more accurate than they really are, because the system assumes that you're on the road.
Autonomous cars have another ace up their sleeve for inertial navigation. Any time an autonomous vehicle stops it can use the wheel speed sensors to verify "yep, I'm stopped", and then re-zero any bias picked up in the accelerometers or gyros. A UAV can only do that when on the ground with the rotors stopped.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MFJ