Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Gimbal problem

Lucky luke

Reaction score
I did a firmware update to 1.4.9
Now i have gimbal problems some times it get stuck in the downward position and show no picture but when i press record it goes to the horizonatal position. Can i go over to the beta firmware.

I did a firmware update to 1.4.9
Now i have gimbal problems some times it get stuck in the downward position and show no picture but when i press record it goes to the horizonatal position. Can i go over to the beta firmware.
Luke, The most current public release version of the EVO aircraft firmware is V1.4.9 so updating to that version was the correct thing to do. There are no gimbal "issues" with this public version. The beta version that is no longer available apparently had a "head banging" problem with the gimbal motors they are working to fix.

So you shouldn't have any issues with your gimbal in the current version. As a newbie, I'll make a point or two here for you. When the drone is not powered up the gimbal will position the camera pointing straight down. When it powers up the gimbal does a self calibration and SHOULD end up pointing forward in a horizontal direction. IF you are only using the RC controller without a cell or tablet device connected, the default screen on your RC shows your signal telemetry details. In order to see the camera view on the RC screen you need to press the front right DISP button to switch displays to camera view. Maybe you knew that and your issue is of a different nature. From your brief comment its hard to tell. But normal operation is if the aircraft is powered up the camera should be pointing forward and horizontal UNLESS you have manually changed the pitch of the camera with the scroll wheel or pitch degrees setting in the software.

I switch on the controler then the drone still no oicture then i lift off to about 4 feet and press rec then the gimbal goes to the horizontal position and the camera works its shows a picture. Befire the update it worked fine.

Reactions: PoorMoney
I switch on the controler then the drone still no oicture then i lift off to about 4 feet and press rec then the gimbal goes to the horizontal position and the camera works its shows a picture. Befire the update it worked fine.
I would suggest trying to re-install the V1.4.9 firmware on the EVO. It's possible your download and install had a glitch in the file from the download so try it again and let us know if that fixes the problem. All it takes sometimes in a few bytes of data to be corrupted and it can raise havoc in an app.

Sometimes people end up with problems trying to update over the air and the most dependable method is to do it the manual way.

I would suggest trying to re-install the V1.4.9 firmware on the EVO. It's possible your download and install had a glitch in the file from the download so try it again and let us know if that fixes the problem. All it takes sometimes in a few bytes of data to be corrupted and it can raise havoc in an app.

Sometimes people end up with problems trying to update over the air and the most dependable method is to do it the manual way.
You cannot reinstall firmwares on theEvo.

You cannot reinstall firmwares on theEvo.
I believe you can. As often as you want for the same version that is on the EVO. You can't install an OLDER version of FW over the top of a later version. Apples >> Apples is OK.

The one caveat is IF the complete package of firmware modules for all the components in the aircraft was successfully updated then the reinstall process would skip the overwriting of the existing FW and report that fact. However, the scenario is Lucky Luke is a new owner of an EVO and this was his first time doing a FW update. If perhaps he overlooked the GIMBAL module failing to update properly as indicated in the onscreen report, a reinstall of the FW will correct that module's failure. Leave no stone unturned! In software code it can only take an erroneous semi-colon, period, or comma to disable a routine. And there is no damage incurred from a repeated attempt at installing the FW.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20.png

Refer to minute location 2:04 on the Over The Air Firmware Update Video

Refer to the minute location 2:33 on the Manually Updating Firmware Video (on EVO)

I believe you can. As often as you want for the same version that is on the EVO. You can't install an OLDER version of FW over the top of a later version. Apples >> Apples is OK.

The one caveat is IF the complete package of firmware modules for all the components in the aircraft was successfully updated then the reinstall process would skip the overwriting of the existing FW and report that fact. However, the scenario is Lucky Luke is a new owner of an EVO and this was his first time doing a FW update. If perhaps he overlooked the GIMBAL module failing to update properly as indicated in the onscreen report, a reinstall of the FW will correct that module's failure. Leave no stone unturned! In software code it can only take an erroneous semi-colon, period, or comma to disable a routine. And there is no damage incurred from a repeated attempt at installing the FW.

View attachment 5600

Refer to minute location 2:04 on the Over The Air Firmware Update Video

Refer to the minute location 2:33 on the Manually Updating Firmware Video (on EVO)
Autel says that when you try to do the firnware, what it does is compare the version in the file with the version in the quad. If they match, it ignores that part. If he completed his firmware update successfully, then this will not help him. He can try it and hope, but the code will not be overwritten.

Autel says that when you try to do the firnware, what it does is compare the version in the file with the version in the quad. If they match, it ignores that part. If he completed his firmware update successfully, then this will not help him. He can try it and hope, but the code will not be overwritten.
?? I do believe that is exactly what I wrote in the Caveat paragraph.

The first thing the Autel tech support is going to ask after understanding Luke is an owner of a brand new EVO and that he underwent a FW update and is now experiencing problems that didn't exist out of the box, is, Did you observe a successful update and have you reinstalled the FW? You always start at Square One when troubleshooting. :) Hope is not the issue. And it has not been confirmed there was actually a successful FW update as part of our discovery process. A logical process of elimination will eventually determine the problem. If a FW reinstall does not resolve the issue then a gimbal calibration would be the next step. Irregardless of it perhaps being another "long shot." But a gimbal calibration is performed running from the Gimbal Module FW V1.1.5.5 so if performing a gimbal calibration reports a failure then its another finger pointing to the gimbal FW module. The fact that the gimbal mechanically worked fine prior to updating is pointing to software related issues and since the software is working fine on everyone else's EVO is another indicator of a glitch in one of the modules on board his equipment and not a bug that all of us would also have. It's highly unlikely that a new EVO working fine out of the box would in such a short time develop a physical/mechanical problem although it can't be ruled out....yet. The normal function of the camera and gimbal after initiating a video record command is another clue that mechanically the gear is OK. So what is left? ;)

I don't post information to get into a debate. Take it or leave it. I started trouble-shooting software programs in a college class in 1969 which is a half century ago. I employ both logic and the scientific method for solving problems. It works for me in the least amount of time and that's all I care about.

?? I do believe that is exactly what I wrote in the Caveat paragraph.

The first thing the Autel tech support is going to ask after understanding Luke is an owner of a brand new EVO and that he underwent a FW update and is now experiencing problems that didn't exist out of the box, is, Did you observe a successful update and have you reinstalled the FW? You always start at Square One when troubleshooting. :) Hope is not the issue. And it has not been confirmed there was actually a successful FW update as part of our discovery process. A logical process of elimination will eventually determine the problem. If a FW reinstall does not resolve the issue then a gimbal calibration would be the next step. Irregardless of it perhaps being another "long shot." But a gimbal calibration is performed running from the Gimbal Module FW V1.1.5.5 so if performing a gimbal calibration reports a failure then its another finger pointing to the gimbal FW module. The fact that the gimbal mechanically worked fine prior to updating is pointing to software related issues and since the software is working fine on everyone else's EVO is another indicator of a glitch in one of the modules on board his equipment and not a bug that all of us would also have. It's highly unlikely that a new EVO working fine out of the box would in such a short time develop a physical/mechanical problem although it can't be ruled out....yet. The normal function of the camera and gimbal after initiating a video record command is another clue that mechanically the gear is OK. So what is left? ;)

I don't post information to get into a debate. Take it or leave it. I started trouble-shooting software programs in a college class in 1969 which is a half century ago. I employ both logic and the scientific method for solving problems. It works for me in the least amount of time and that's all I care about.
You are right. I was doing something else and didn't notice you said it. I do admit that being a millenial, after the first parragraph, I start skimming through the rest. ?

Reactions: mixchief

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hippo35