Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Gimbal horizon

rbolman

Reaction score
I've been having significant issues with the horizon tilting when yawing the EVO in a circle.
When rotating in a 360, the horizon will tilt by quite a bit. This happens even while in precision mode, so the EVO isn't spinning very fast, and doesn't have to yaw very far before the horizon is completely out of whack. I've calibrated several times, but still have the issue.
I didn't notice this before updating firmware to 1.4.9.

Is this happening for anyone else? I couldn't find any recent posts.

For the past week. Not seeing quite as many satilites. 13-16 instead of 17-19.

I've been having significant issues with the horizon tilting when yawing the EVO in a circle.
When rotating in a 360, the horizon will tilt by quite a bit. This happens even while in precision mode, so the EVO isn't spinning very fast, and doesn't have to yaw very far before the horizon is completely out of whack. I've calibrated several times, but still have the issue.
I didn't notice this before updating firmware to 1.4.9.

Is this happening for anyone else? I couldn't find any recent posts.
Can you make a video to show us what you mean?

Can you make a video to show us what you mean?
Yup, I had planned to. I think that I have a couple from the day before I posted, but haven't had time to pull them in. I'll do that tonight.
Thanks.
I did do some more gimbal calibrations last night, but now it's been raining all day.

Reactions: Ansia
I've been having significant issues with the horizon tilting when yawing the EVO in a circle. Is this happening for anyone else? I couldn't find any recent posts.

Not your imagination. I saw this yesterday. Not as bad as a year ago, but noticeably worse than before the latest FW update.

I'm learning to live with it... after power up if I get some tilt I just adjust it to a level plane via the software and keep going.

My only complaint about the Evo so far and it's a minor one.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. Life's been a bit nuts. I went out this morning and shot some new footage just so it was all fresh in my mind. So, here it is.

Flight Control V0.0.2.26
Gimbal V1.1.5.5

When starting up the EVO, the camera goes through it's calibration process and begins horizontal on the ground.
By the time I reached altitude, it was no longer horizontal.

In the first video I'm in precision mode and the camera is rotated down to about -7deg. Notice at about the 3 second mark the camera raises a bit and begins to rotate clockwise. This is when I began to yaw to the right. This isn't with full stick. I'm about 30-50% stick at this point in precision mode.
By the time I get to the end of the yaw, the horizon is past horizontal level in the opposite direction.
At about 26 seconds, I'm beginning my yaw to the left. The camera rotates counter-clockwise so the horizon is no longer level before the EVO begins to spin.
At 54 seconds I'm yawing to the right again, the camera raises a bit and rotates clockwise. At 1:21, I rotate the camera up to 0deg, and wow. I have the left prop in the shot. What the what? That caught me by surprise. As the EVO sits without being moved, the camera is ever so slowly rotating counter clockwise.

The second video is shot in standard mode just to emphasize how bad the problem is. Again, the left front prop makes a guest starring appearance throughout the shot.

I've examined the rubber dampers that suspend the gimbal and they look fine from what I can see. I have to suspect that the firmware update has caused the issue as I didn't have it before. Just to ensure that I did have a good firmware update, I've updated it 3 more times (once for each battery). I've also spent an evening and almost a half a battery calibrating the gimbal several times.

Now, the bigger problem is that I'm supposed to shoot a wedding in two weeks and the EVO just isn't going to be able to do it in this state. So, I basically have two questions. Am I correct with my suspicion of firmware? And, if so, is there a way that I can downgrade to the previous firmware to test that theory out?

Thanks,
Rick

Many people have experienced this with previous firmwares, but after updating, they fixed it. All I can say is that you keep calibrating in a flat even surface without any magnetic interference. When you take off, also make sure you do from an even surface.

Sorry, there is no downgrade.

I wanted to follow up on this. Someone on one of the Facebook groups had suggested that I calibrate the gimbal 3 times with a reboot between each calibration. I had calibrated the gimbal several times, but didn't reboot between each calibration. That seems to have reduced the issue significantly. So, mental note, reboot between multiple calibrations.

Reactions: AndyUrtu
That seems to have reduced the issue significantly.
I might add another suggestion since your comment implies less than 100% satisfaction. I don't know if this will lock you back into a solid horizon but its worth a shot.

Once you are in the air and hovering with a clear, i.e. flat horizon on your screen, first make sure you have GRID overlay selected for screen view. Adjust your altitude and your camera pitch to line up the horizon with the horizontal grid line. Go into your settings under Gimbal and Start the "Adjust Gimbal Roll Axis". Hit the plus or minus to manually tweak the camera roll to square up the horizon with the grid line. Click Done.

What I am hoping is by manually overriding the automatic gimbal roll that is working from sensor input once you are airborne, you might be able to "lock in" the flat horizon and be able to spin your butt off with a smile. LOL

As I said, worth a shot. I have to tweak my gimbal roll now and then when for some reason a particular flight is off 1 or 2 degrees while other flights are dead on flat for the duration. After I level it up the cam view holds flat no matter what maneuvers I perform or pitch changes on the cam angle I make.

Reactions: AndyUrtu

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials