Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Geo Fencing Coming To Autel In Conflict Regions

Eagle928

Reaction score

To ensure that Autel Robotics products and services are not used in violent conflicts, no-fly zones have been established for sensitive areas, including: all of Palestine, all of Israel, all of Russia, all of Ukraine, all of Myanmar,Taiwan, Aruna Char Region, Kashmir Region.

To ensure that Autel Robotics products and services are not used in violent conflicts, no-fly zones have been established for sensitive areas, including: all of Palestine, all of Israel, all of Russia, all of Ukraine, all of Myanmar,Taiwan, Aruna Char Region, Kashmir Region.
I REALLY do not want this thread to go down a “political” sidetrack! While I do stay current with work geopolitical affairs and conflicts, as always it depends on the viewers context of if this is “appropriate”.
However, “all of Russia”, “all of Israel”, - these two areas, one absolutely enormous the other absolutely a huge tourist destination until weeks ago (and I suspect it will regain tourist status again), for those of the majority of us remote pilots - certified or not, to not be able to take beautiful pics and vids of these places is more than a shame. It transcends political boundaries. Even though I agree with individual rights and responsibilities, Autel (still under the thumb of the CCP- though less so as compared to DJI) has now entered the geopolitical stage of body politic control. At least on an obvious level.
Thank you for the warning. I will NOT upgrade (but I have been told that there are ways that these companies can force upgrades in the background anyways. In fact they have already done so apparently ???

But I was in Israel on a tourist visit and didn’t own a sUAS but was hoping to return there to get some awesome views of Jerusalem hills and valleys. The typical views we see in most documentary footage, but I wanted to do my own. I’ll be damed if this company or any other due to THEIR political agenda will not allow me to do so.

I just don’t know which companies make a good sUAS product that will likely never have geofencing ?

Reactions: G_G and Eagle928
I REALLY do not want this thread to go down a “political” sidetrack! While I do stay current with work geopolitical affairs and conflicts, as always it depends on the viewers context of if this is “appropriate”.
However, “all of Russia”, “all of Israel”, - these two areas, one absolutely enormous the other absolutely a huge tourist destination until weeks ago (and I suspect it will regain tourist status again), for those of the majority of us remote pilots - certified or not, to not be able to take beautiful pics and vids of these places is more than a shame. It transcends political boundaries. Even though I agree with individual rights and responsibilities, Autel (still under the thumb of the CCP- though less so as compared to DJI) has now entered the geopolitical stage of body politic control. At least on an obvious level.
Thank you for the warning. I will NOT upgrade (but I have been told that there are ways that these companies can force upgrades in the background anyways. In fact they have already done so apparently ???

But I was in Israel on a tourist visit and didn’t own a sUAS but was hoping to return there to get some awesome views of Jerusalem hills and valleys. The typical views we see in most documentary footage, but I wanted to do my own. I’ll be damed if this company or any other due to THEIR political agenda will not allow me to do so.

I just don’t know which companies make a good sUAS product that will likely never have geofencing ?
Autel's geofencing in all "non-sensitive" areas worldwide is also only a switch away! Who gets to say what "violent conflicts" are? Do riots count? The map databases have all already been installed in every Autel drone. Current on screen "Warnings" can easily be turned into physical "no-fly" zones, prohibiting flight at Autel's whim, despite all the marketing hype that they won't, unless local law requires it! We are all just one forced upgrade away from worldwide Autel no-fly zones!

Last edited:
Autel's geofencing in all "non-sensitive" areas worldwide is also only a switch away! Who gets to say what "violent conflicts" are? Do riots count? The map databases have all already been installed in every Autel drone. Current on screen "Warnings" can easily be turned into physical "no-fly" zones, prohibiting flight at Autel's whim, despite all the marketing hype that they won't, unless local law requires it! We are all just one forced upgrade away from worldwide Autel no-fly zones!
That will never happen with the older Autel drones. I fly my Evo 1 never have any "warnings"
and if they somehow do it within the Explorer app I will just fly it without my phone.

That will never happen with the older Autel drones. I fly my Evo 1 never have any "warnings"
and if they somehow do it within the Explorer app I will just fly it without my phone.
Indeed. If you are still flying really old Autel drones, and haven’t updated FW or the Explorer app on a sandboxed tablet, you can avoid Autel's grounding, much like older DJI drones, where GEO was still optional in DJI GO! However, if you have purchased any newer drone with the better cameras and longer flight times, the Trojan Horse came pre-installed!

DJI GO APP has had geo fencing since 2016

DJI GO APP has had geo fencing since 2016
Yes, and it was very controversial. It was also always initially advertised as an optional safety feature, and it could also be turned off in the DJI Go app settings, until it suddenly couldn’t, about 18 months later, when the toggle was quietly removed! Autel quietly installed their NFZ databases about 3 years ago with on screen warnings over the FPV view that cannot be removed, unlike DJI Geo permissions that can be unlocked.

In any event, Autel is slowly emulating DJI, by first installing the NFZ maps and then now changing how they are being used, to the detriment of the user. They decide where and when you can fly the drone.

Basically, with either drone brand, you don't own the drone. You are buying a limited license from them to use their aircraft, which use they continue to control into perpetuity through ever changing FW and app updates!

Yeah even though what you say is possible that they might enable the nfz later its nice that still at the moment us Autel owners here in the US can take the responsibility ourselves and not have to deal with Dji s gronfencing and forced updates. That is why I never bought Dji or will never .

Yeah even though what you say is possible that they might enable the nfz later its nice that still at the moment us Autel owners here in the US can take the responsibility ourselves and not have to deal with Dji s gronfencing and forced updates. That is why I never bought Dji or will never .
So far, the DJI updates have not been forced. Instead, they are enticed by offering new features in updates that come with Trojan Horses. If you willingly buy any new drone, it already comes with all the Trojan Horses. The older legacy DJI drones are still restriction free, except for the original airport NFZ circles.

With DJI, at least the FPV screen can be kept clear, once the GEO zone is unlocked. Autel keeps the Warning dialog box on the screen throughout the flight. Biggest improvement in GEO has been DJI allowing year long unlocking of blue Authorization Zones around airports without turning the entire world outside the unlock into an NFZ.

That good to see Dji doing that but it's interesting I also have a evo lite plus and I get the warning like you said but it goes away or I just hit the x next to it to slide away only other indicator is the orange dot in the top left that is almost not even noticeable if you tap on it it just brings back the warning tonthe left of your screen again until you hot the x again for it to disappear.

Reactions: G_G
Maybe it's different on the explorer app for evo 2 but the sky app that's how it is .
Yes, my only experience is with the Explorer app. Glad Autel finally offers a more user friendly warning in their Sky app that can be acknowledged and minimized out of the way!

Reactions: Madhungarian
Indeed. If you are still flying really old Autel drones, and haven’t updated FW or the Explorer app on a sandboxed tablet, you can avoid Autel's grounding, much like older DJI drones, where GEO was still optional in DJI GO! However, if you have purchased any newer drone with the better cameras and longer flight times, the Trojan Horse came pre-installed!
Do we know what versions/models/firmware that will have the geofencing?... and how to check if our drone has geofencing? Just bought the v2 Thermal a couple months ago, one big reason was no-geofencing which can get in the way during Search And Rescue missions.

Do we know what versions/models/firmware that will have the geofencing?... and how to check if our drone has geofencing? Just bought the v2 Thermal a couple months ago, one big reason was no-geofencing which can get in the way during Search And Rescue missions.
It's not an issue in non war torn areas like the USA.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I do not think Autel will implement geo fencing as long as there is inventory to sell left. That is one of their selling points, however I do the see the possibility that it will be required later if the FAA decides in the future it will be necessary just like RID, but I do not see that happening for atleast a couple of more years and by then all of consumer Autel drones by then will not supported by Autel and will become "legacy" items. Just like the Autel Xstar and Autel Evo 1. I have both 2 old Autel 1 evo drones, one still brand new and a Evo LIte Plus and the last firmware update for the Evo 1 was almost 3 years ago. I am starting to think that the old legacy drones like the evo 1 and Xstar will be more valuable as time goes on because of the fact they do not have the ability to have geo fencing on them since atleast with the Evo 1 you can fly the drone without a phone .

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Lol. It's not an issue until it's an issue. The geofencing can be activated for any location at any time for any reason deemed politically convenient.
Exactly! The geofencing maps are already installed! A single public incident with an Autel drone is all it will take in the U.S.! Don't be that guy!

Lol. It's not an issue until it's an issue. The geofencing can be activated for any location at any time for any reason deemed politically convenient.
How will they do that if you're not connected to the Internet and don't update the FW? GPS signal?

How will they do that if you're not connected to the Internet and don't update the FW? GPS signal?
It won't happen because Autel does not force updates. Just don't update FW and you should be fine. It cannot get any updates through gps

Reactions: Eagle928

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan